Re: [EASCI] entry 3

  • Don Deresz
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 13, 2006
      Yes. No.
      Have Fun,
      Don Deresz
      Miami, FL

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:19 PM
      Subject: [EASCI] entry 3

      I have a question concerning the use of a lab.  I have found a really
      good lab that I would like to use for my third entry.  I found this
      lab on the internet and I was wondering if I can even use this lab?
      Do I have to cite the source of the lab and if so how do I do that in
      my entry?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    • LaDonna Mangum
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 13, 2006
        After reading entry 3 again I am not sure if the lab will even work.  Basically it is a lab that deals with the introduction of the inquiry process.  Studenst have to design an experiment around different types of salsa and as they work through the lab they gain a better idea of just how the inquiry process works.  But after further review I think they want me to actually pick a process in science, such as the rock cycle or other cycling of matter.  ARRGGHH I am so confused!

        Jeanne Elliott <eliotmom2@...> wrote:
        When writing last year, sometime I would site professional research that I used to support my writings.  I found a website on MLA citations and used that.  I don't think you have to site where you found your resources, because the goal is that you can find resources and strategies from a variety of places to meet the needs of your students.
        When filming for entry 3, I know the focus is on the conclusion of a lab and you want the students to do the discovery and find patterns in the data.  But are you concentrating on a lab that deals with data or are your findings qualitative?
        I find so many of my inquiries do not deal with descrete data.  Do you have any ideas.
        Jeanne

        ladonnamangum <ladonnamangum@...> wrote:
        I have a question concerning the use of a lab.  I have found a really
        good lab that I would like to use for my third entry.  I found this
        lab on the internet and I was wondering if I can even use this lab?
        Do I have to cite the source of the lab and if so how do I do that in
        my entry?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

        " Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid."

      • Cinnamon
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 13, 2006
          That sounds like that would be okay. Since the act of inquiry itself is actually a process skill. It might be better to use that activity first as a pre activity and then use something from your curriculum for the students to use the same inquiry process. Let them build upon that skill that YOU just taught them to investigate something like plate tectonics, making molecules out of atoms or whatnot. Part of their inquiry process should be some kind of data collection, so they can detect patterns.  Like, I had them do a ball drop activity. They got to choose exactly how to do it, but they ended up figuring out that the balls accelerated as they fell. My Entry 3 was actually my worst score, but the kids were not to communicative in even the best video from that class. The other ones I tried included a "Newton has the joules" lab from NASA  on energy and an electricity lab with different types of circuits. The only video that was passable was the ball drop lab.

          Keep working on it and don't panic.
          Good luck,
          Cinnamon in NC

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 13, 2006
            Me too!!   I don't really know what I want to do mine on.  I am thinking of having my students summarize what they found in an owl pellet.  I want them to conclude what the ecosystem of owls around the country are like and compare the regions based on their findings in their owl pellet.  Each pair of students will have a pellet from a region.  So they can use a bone chart to figure out what types of animals the owl ate, which will give them some insight to their food source and the environment (especially if the pellets contain any seeds).  They could even graph the types of bones and try to conclude how many animals the owl ate.  I know this will capture my students; I know that my students will draw conclusions about the regions.  I don't know if this is a good activity for taping.
            Any advice!!??!!
[...]

            Yahoo! Photos

          • dkaysmith
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 14, 2006
              What would be you inquiry question for the students to experiment with?
              When I did this entry I looked for labs that had a hypothsis
              (question) that couldn't be answered before the students did the lab.
              I had the groups make predicitions about what they thought would
              happen during the lab and we recorded them on chart paper. I then set
              my students up into small groups and as they were performing the lab,
              I would go to each group(4 to 5 students in a group I found their to
              be more discussion with the larger groups) and ask probing questions
              about what results they were getting. I would refer back to their
              predicitions and ask them analyzing questions about their results.

              I think (personal opinion)if you find a lab that has a good inquiry
              question, then this entry will begin to flow easier for you. I don't
              know what grade level you teach or the topics you teach, but I hope
              I've helped a little.

              Donna Smith
              NBCT 2005

              --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "ladonnamangum" <ladonnamangum@y...>

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 14, 2006

                wrote:

                > I have a question concerning the use of a lab. I have found a
                really
                > good lab that I would like to use for my third entry. I found this
                > lab on the internet and I was wondering if I can even use this lab?
                > Do I have to cite the source of the lab and if so how do I do that
                in
                > my entry? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

              • eliotmom2
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 14, 2006
                  Donna,
                  What did you look for in your videotape. Were you asking the
                  students analytical questions in small group, were you having the
                  students summarize whole group, were you connecting the inquiry to
                  life? What type of discussion were you concentrating on? Did you
                  concern yourself with quantitative data while looking for a lab?
                  Jeanne
                  -- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "dkaysmith" <dkaysmith@y...> wrote:

                  > What would be you inquiry question for the students to experiment
                  with?
                  > When I did this entry I looked for labs that had a hypothsis
                  > (question) that couldn't be answered before the students did the
                  lab.
                  > I had the groups make predicitions about what they thought would
                  > happen during the lab and we recorded them on chart paper. I then
                  set
                  > my students up into small groups and as they were performing the
                  lab,
                  > I would go to each group(4 to 5 students in a group I found their
                  > be more discussion with the larger groups) and ask probing
                  questions
                  > about what results they were getting. I would refer back to their
                  > predicitions and ask them analyzing questions about their results.
                  >
                  > I think (personal opinion)if you find a lab that has a good
                  inquiry
                  > question, then this entry will begin to flow easier for you. I
                  don't
                  > know what grade level you teach or the topics you teach, but I
                  hope
                  > I've helped a little.
                  >
                  > Donna Smith
                  > NBCT 2005
                  >

                  > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "ladonnamangum" <ladonnamangum@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have a question concerning the use of a lab. I have found a
                  > really
                  > > good lab that I would like to use for my third entry. I found
                  this
                  > > lab on the internet and I was wondering if I can even use this
                  lab?
                  > > Do I have to cite the source of the lab and if so how do I do
                  that
                  > in
                  > > my entry? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

                • tsunamiscience
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 14, 2006
                    My advice for entry 3 is
                    1. Make sure that it is an inquiry lab and not a "cookbook" lab. Of
                    course you guide them along.
                    2. The video tape is about the discussion of data collected. My sixth
                    graders do a better job discussing numbers than generalities.
                    3. Remember you are a facilitator. The video should be the student's
                    discussing with you walking around to each group guiding the discussion.
                    4. Perhaps they could prepare a data table, paragraph, visual to
                    assist them in the discussion.
                    Hope this helps-- Madge in FL NBCT EA/Sci 2003
                  • LaDonna Mangum
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 14, 2006
                      the lab I found had students understand the scientific method througth inquiry.  They had to create a lab with different types of salsa.  They had to come up with what they would research and what type of information they would gather.  This lab comes at the end of basic notes on the scientific method.  The lab was designed to further their understanding of how the scientific method works.  Does this make sense?  Thanks!

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 15, 2006
                          The part of my video tape that I submited showed my students in small group.  My topic was chemical and physical changes and in my writing I tied it to the National Standard Properties of Matter.  I was asking the analytical questions about the results the students were getting.  I would asked the students to justify their findings which gave me great discussion between the students as well as what the students misconceptions were.  For example, many of my students (6th graders) thought if something had food coloring in it then it was a chemical change and not a physical change.

                          I purposely chose the parts of the video that showed students arguing the differences between chem/phys changes and misconceptions.  I ended up not using the part of the whole group discussion in which we discussed the quantative data because I felt the small group interactions were the best part of my video.

                          Don't give up, I think I video taped 5 different lessons/topics before I finally got one I liked.

                          Just make sure that it is truly an inquiry lab.  If the question can be answered correctly before doing the lab then the lab is not worth doing.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
                            >Although the salsa lab sounds creative and unique, I'm not sure that
                            middle school students would get any true "data" out of it. I know
                            that my kids would be into "which is the hottest" to me that would be
                            all opinion and not scientific data. Try to come up with something
                            with numbers. Middle school students can easily discuss
                            numbers.....there are other "comsumer labs" based on current TV ads
                            that the kids would get into.....madge in FL NBCT 2003
                          • Peg Brody
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
                              I agree. I used the scientific method. Create a lab in which you did not
                              isolate the variables. Have each group complete the lab and then record as
                              a class their data. During discussion, note that the data is different for
                              each group and why? Lead the discussion to how to control variables and
                              then allow the students to develop own lab to test their ideas. (Inquiry)
                              Peggy
                            • Jeanne Elliott
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
                                Thanks, Donna!  I'm not giving up just looking to do my best.  This is my 2nd year in and I REALLY won't to do this professionally and for me.
                                I appreciate your opinion.
                                Jeanne