Entries #2 & 3

  • jbdolfin
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2005
      I have an great idea for my small group taping...students are studying
      weather and creating PowerPoint presentations for the class (covering
      differnt types of precipitation, clouds, pressure systems). Our school
      has wireless laptop carts with 20 laptops for each team. I thought it
      would be really good to show technology...how students use it in the
      classroom and how it "directly impacts" their learning.

      The problem I am having is trying to figure out what to tape as far as
      I go for direct instruction. I LOVE teaching weather...and am very
      enthusiastic about. I have a lot of ideas...but am really looking for
      something to "pop." My students are 6th graders (middle school)....and
      since I live in Florida, hurricanes would be a great concept to tape.
      Does anyone have any ideas on what i can use for this entry? I am
      looking for something truly amazing that the kids will really get into!

      Thanks for anything you can help me with!
    • Annette Holder
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2005
        My experience has been that anything the teacher is excited about the kids are excited too.  Your ideas sound good to me...Just go for it...I sat the camera up and had it running almost all the time so as to catch those teachable moments..Hurricanes are relevant because the topic shows you know your students and the communities in which they live.....Good luck....

        Annette Holder NBCT 2004

        jbdolfin <jbdolfin@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Shopping

      • tsunamiscience
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2005
          I also am a sixth grade science teacher in Florida. I certified in
          2003. I just reread the directions. You need to have the students
          collect some kind of data. Then you act as a facilitator as the
          students discuss the data amongst themselves. The technology tie in
          is excellent, but what kind of data are the students going to
          collect? I believe some kind of inquiry lab would fit the topic.
          Carefully read the portfolio directions. If you want you can email
          me directly. I can receive mentor hours....madge