Re: [EASCI] Suggestions for AC?

  • nankwh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2000
      I teach physical science (chemistry and physics) to 8th graders and have
      done life science and biology. I should have, but did not, study for the AC
      other than to type out summaries of the standards that were being included in
      the AC exercises. I read each one (the long version) and condensed and typed
      at the same time. This helped cement them in my mind and gave me practice
      typing. My scores were resonable, but I wish I had done better.
      I feel that my many years of experience were helpful because i have an
      extensive "bag of tricks". I have suggested that candidates who feel the
      need to work on a particular area start by looking over the national
      standards for that area, and then use a variety of texts to see activities
      and read chapter summaries that cover these standards.
      The work samples given in the exercises were very appropriate for the age
      group and my experience with midddle school students. The grammar, spelling,
      and sentence structure was very good though.
      Nancy Hosie
      NBCT 99 EA/SCI
    • Anthony Cody
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2000
        I have a question regarding the Assessment Center. I went to the web site
        in Iowa where they have posted previous years' versions of the tests. I saw
        the test for the EA Science and the test for AYA Science, and the two were
        the same! Is this correct? Is there a difference in the level of difficulty
        or scope between AYA Science and EA Science?

        Thanks!

        (For those of you who have yet to visit the Iowa site, here is how:

        Iowa has an Assessment Simulation to help you prepare for the test.
        Assessment center simulation: All areas are available with retired test.
        Here are the directions.

        The directions are as follows. http://www.uni.edu/webct

        Click on

        "Current Course Listings at UNI"

        "College of Education" Then scroll down right column to bottom.

        " i" icon (at the bottom or close to it) to create user name and
        password.

        Next screen fill in the fields they ask for. Login ID should be your
        candidate number. You can select your own password.

        You should get a screen telling you that your account has been
        successfully created. Now select "Go to home page".

        You can access five times with one name. After that you have to
        enter a new name.

        Anthony Cody
        For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
        Cody's Science Education Zone at
        http://ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren/CSEZ_Home.htm
      • v1945@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2000
          Thank you for suggestions!! They sound on right track. I better start soon!
          Vicki Kraner
          EASCI candidate 2000 (WISHFUL THINKING!)