Books that help!

  • eliotmom2
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
      This quesion is especially for "The Science Teacher": I have read
      through most of the old discussions on this message board and I have
      found the books that you recommend. Did I mark it right that one of
      the best books you read on the inquiry method is Inquire within by
      Douglas Llewwllyn? I found another book that looks good on the NSTA
      site titled Exemplerary Science in Grades 5-8. Has anyone heard of it
      or read it? I will be redoing both of my video tapes and right now I
      want to figure out what I did not do well enough to meet the
      standards. I want to read some professional books. I already have
      one that is good titled The Truth about Science: A Curriculum for
      Developing Young Scientists but I find it is more about controlling
      variables in an experiment and analyzing data. I need to read more
      about probing students and talking through the analysis of data; not
      just reading a graph and grading their work.
      Thanks,
      Jeanne (aiming for my NBPTC)
    • stipko@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
        <<I need to read more
        about probing students and talking through the analysis of data; not
        just reading a graph and grading their work.>>

        I need to do the same. I also have to redo my 2 video entries. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

        Stephanie in FL

        > From: "eliotmom2" <eliotmom2@...>
        > Date: 2005/11/21 Mon PM 02:05:53 EST
        > To: EASCI@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [EASCI] Books that help!

      • Jeanne Elliott
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
          Stephanie, it sounds as though we are in the same boat.  Maybe we can try to collaborate on  ideas.  What do you teach?  I teach 7th grade life science and 8th grade earth science.  I would like to do more inquiries using a descrepant events that require a quantitative change versus having the students watch for a qualitative change.  I don't know really.  These are my initial thoughts.
          Jeanne

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 23, 2005
            At that time I was going thru the NBCT process, yes I found that book
            most helpful to me at the time.

            (the science teacher)

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 28, 2005
              Hi Jeanne,

              I teach 7th grade general science ( we cover some life, physical and earth). I am still not sure what exactly I will do my 2 entries on. I have decided to get to work on it after the holidays. I also want it to mesh in my curriculum map and I really don't have the luxury of moving things around within my curricukum b/c our principal has us an a strict schedule. So I must adhere to that. I am looking for 2 new/better mentors for this year's attempt.

              Stephanie in FL