Suggestions for AC?

  • Victoria Kraner
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23 10:50 PM
      Does anyone have any suggestions what to study or take notes on for
      AC?
      Good luck to all!
    • Anthony Cody
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24 6:24 AM
        >Does anyone have any suggestions what to study or take notes on for
        >AC?
        >Good luck to all!

        We can use al the handwritten index cards we create, right? I bought a
        little box to hold them, and a set of alphabetical dividers. I am working
        my way through a physical science text, taking notes on the cards as I go.
        I have about ten cards on Atoms and the Periodic Table, and a few on Gas
        Laws. I will do the same with Biology and Earth Science. They could ask us
        almost anything, so it is best to prepare for everything.

        Anthony Cody
        For Lesson Ideas and News from Oakland, visit
        Cody's Science Education Zone at
        http://ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren/CSEZ_Home.htm
      • nankwh@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24 3:47 PM
          I teach physical science (chemistry and physics) to 8th graders and have
          done life science and biology. I should have, but did not, study for the AC
          other than to type out summaries of the standards that were being included in
          the AC exercises. I read each one (the long version) and condensed and typed
          at the same time. This helped cement them in my mind and gave me practice
          typing. My scores were resonable, but I wish I had done better.
          I feel that my many years of experience were helpful because i have an
          extensive "bag of tricks". I have suggested that candidates who feel the
          need to work on a particular area start by looking over the national
          standards for that area, and then use a variety of texts to see activities
          and read chapter summaries that cover these standards.
          The work samples given in the exercises were very appropriate for the age
          group and my experience with midddle school students. The grammar, spelling,
          and sentence structure was very good though.
          Nancy Hosie
          NBCT 99 EA/SCI
        • Anthony Cody
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24 4:36 PM
            I have a question regarding the Assessment Center. I went to the web site
            in Iowa where they have posted previous years' versions of the tests. I saw
            the test for the EA Science and the test for AYA Science, and the two were
            the same! Is this correct? Is there a difference in the level of difficulty
            or scope between AYA Science and EA Science?

            Thanks!

            (For those of you who have yet to visit the Iowa site, here is how:

            Iowa has an Assessment Simulation to help you prepare for the test.
            Assessment center simulation: All areas are available with retired test.
            Here are the directions.

            The directions are as follows. http://www.uni.edu/webct

            Click on

            "Current Course Listings at UNI"

            "College of Education" Then scroll down right column to bottom.

            " i" icon (at the bottom or close to it) to create user name and
            password.

            Next screen fill in the fields they ask for. Login ID should be your
            candidate number. You can select your own password.

            You should get a screen telling you that your account has been
            successfully created. Now select "Go to home page".

            You can access five times with one name. After that you have to
            enter a new name.

          • v1945@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 24 8:27 PM
              Thank you for suggestions!! They sound on right track. I better start soon!
              Vicki Kraner
              EASCI candidate 2000 (WISHFUL THINKING!)