Re: [EASCI] Re: seeking Entry 1 feedbk also

  • Greg Corder
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2005
      If I include a pre/post quiz, would I merely elude to
      it and its findings, or would it be one of the 3
      assesmsnets?

      gc

      http://www.fossweb.com/modules3-6/MagnetismandElectricity/

      > > The 2nd will be my tech piece. I want to
      > compare/contrast
      > simulations
      > > to real-experiments. That will lead to the next
      > piece. (Is this an
      > > adequate connection to tech?)
      > >
      > > 3. For the 3rd one, the students will design (and
      > later conduct)
      > and
      > > experiment to test one IV that affects magnetic
      > field strength
      > using
      > > a nail, magnet wire, an adjustable DC power
      > source, and lots of
      > tiny
      > > little B-Bs.
      > >
      > > Themes:
      > > I am struggling with articulating the goals,
      > objectives, big
      > themes,
      > > and big ideas in science.
      > >

      > > Any feedback will be appriciated....
      > >
      > > greg

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • tsunamiscience
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2005
        Hmmm --- I think I would just allude to them, but the three entries
        need to show the progression of learning and what you did to
        encourage that learning. Re-read the directions, but I think you
        want some kind of student work, not just answers to a quiz.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2005
          Entry 1--- I must say was the last entry I did. I was pressed for time
          to get it in. I was cautious about using testing data in MY situation
          because I knew that I HAD show student work and technology at some
          point. Therefore, I DID NOT include my pre-assessment activity. I
          did however talk about it in my writing and noted improvements in
          student learning based the student product. I was also pressed for the
          number of pages and had to decide what was more important. MAKE sure
          that you READ the questions on your COVER SHEETS!!! They you ask to
          decribe the activity. If you decide you feel you can use testing data
          pre or post, then make sure you can clearly answer the questions on the
          cover sheets. If you will refer to your instructions, it says to choose
          your assessment strategy wisely. You can formally or informally assess
          students. ( I did give an oral assessment to a student and submitted
          the results. I had student sign and date it. I blocked out his last
          naname.) But this was not I had--- students make a mini-book as their
          final product and had to use a rubric.
          Also, use of a discrepant event can be pre-assessment as well (an
          inquiry approach). This can demonstrate misconceptions which you can
          build upon to show learning. Also remember the unit( at least mine)
          had to be anywhere from 2-10 weeks.

          the scienceteacher NBCT 2004