Re: seeking Entry 1 feedbk also

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
      Greg, go to your National Science Education Standards. Hopefully you
      have the NSTA Pathways book for middle school. This can you look to
      see if your goals and objectives match.
      The scienceteacher.

      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Corder" <cordergw@y...> wrote:
      > I teach 8th grade phys sci and am also doing NBC this year.
      >
      > First, I really want to thank all those participants on this group
      > that have already finished and/or are assessors. Thanks for
      sticking
      > around for us newbies!!!
      >
      > I am seeking some critical feedback on my selections for entry one.
      >
      > My entry 1 is on a magnetism unit in January:
      >
      > 1. I am still iffy and struggling w/ the 1st piece. I am
      considering
      > a lab that has students move a compass around a straight wire that
      is
      > charged and a coiled wire that is charged. Then, they'd sprinkle
      > metal filings around. The students will draw the magnetic fields of
      > each wire. (They would have already done the same with a bar and
      > horseshoe magnet, followed by metal fillings.
      >
      > 2. For the 2nd one, I plan on having students determine the IVs
      and
      > DVs of the Electromagnet applet simulation from this page:
      > http://www.fossweb.com/modules3-6/MagnetismandElectricity/
      >
      > The 2nd will be my tech piece. I want to compare/contrast
      simulations
      > to real-experiments. That will lead to the next piece. (Is this an
      > adequate connection to tech?)
      >
      > 3. For the 3rd one, the students will design (and later conduct)
      and
      > experiment to test one IV that affects magnetic field strength
      using
      > a nail, magnet wire, an adjustable DC power source, and lots of
      tiny
      > little B-Bs.
      >
      > Themes:
      > I am struggling with articulating the goals, objectives, big
      themes,
      > and big ideas in science.
      >

      > Any feedback will be appriciated....
      >
      > greg
    • tsunamiscience
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2005
        Its great that you are really planning ahead. I would suggest that
        you also add a pre-assessment quiz and a post-assessment. This would
        really,really show that the students got the main idea. You want to
        highlight students that you can show that they had no clue what you
        were talking about and then "ta-da" they got it....the pre/post is
        convincing. It also sounds like you have a great technology
        piece.Make sure the students are actually using the technology. Even
        using a spreadsheet to record data.....Good luck Madge

        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Corder" <cordergw@y...> wrote:
        > I teach 8th grade phys sci and am also doing NBC this year.
        >
        > First, I really want to thank all those participants on this group
        > that have already finished and/or are assessors. Thanks for
        sticking
        > around for us newbies!!!
        >
        > I am seeking some critical feedback on my selections for entry one.
        >
        > My entry 1 is on a magnetism unit in January:
        >
        > 1. I am still iffy and struggling w/ the 1st piece. I am
        considering
        > a lab that has students move a compass around a straight wire that
        is
        > charged and a coiled wire that is charged. Then, they'd sprinkle
        > metal filings around. The students will draw the magnetic fields of
        > each wire. (They would have already done the same with a bar and
        > horseshoe magnet, followed by metal fillings.
        >
        > 2. For the 2nd one, I plan on having students determine the IVs
        and
        > DVs of the Electromagnet applet simulation from this page:
        > http://www.fossweb.com/modules3-6/MagnetismandElectricity/
        >
        > The 2nd will be my tech piece. I want to compare/contrast
        simulations
        > to real-experiments. That will lead to the next piece. (Is this an
        > adequate connection to tech?)
        >
        > 3. For the 3rd one, the students will design (and later conduct)
        and
        > experiment to test one IV that affects magnetic field strength
        using
        > a nail, magnet wire, an adjustable DC power source, and lots of
        tiny
        > little B-Bs.
        >
        > Themes:
        > I am struggling with articulating the goals, objectives, big
        themes,
        > and big ideas in science.
        >

        > Any feedback will be appriciated....
        >
        > greg
      • Greg Corder
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2005
          If I include a pre/post quiz, would I merely elude to
          it and its findings, or would it be one of the 3
          assesmsnets?

          gc

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • tsunamiscience
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2005
            Hmmm --- I think I would just allude to them, but the three entries
            need to show the progression of learning and what you did to
            encourage that learning. Re-read the directions, but I think you
            want some kind of student work, not just answers to a quiz.
            Madge

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2005
              Entry 1--- I must say was the last entry I did. I was pressed for time
              to get it in. I was cautious about using testing data in MY situation
              because I knew that I HAD show student work and technology at some
              point. Therefore, I DID NOT include my pre-assessment activity. I
              did however talk about it in my writing and noted improvements in
              student learning based the student product. I was also pressed for the
              number of pages and had to decide what was more important. MAKE sure
              that you READ the questions on your COVER SHEETS!!! They you ask to
              decribe the activity. If you decide you feel you can use testing data
              pre or post, then make sure you can clearly answer the questions on the
              cover sheets. If you will refer to your instructions, it says to choose
              your assessment strategy wisely. You can formally or informally assess
              students. ( I did give an oral assessment to a student and submitted
              the results. I had student sign and date it. I blocked out his last
              naname.) But this was not I had--- students make a mini-book as their
              final product and had to use a rubric.
              Also, use of a discrepant event can be pre-assessment as well (an
              inquiry approach). This can demonstrate misconceptions which you can
              build upon to show learning. Also remember the unit( at least mine)
              had to be anywhere from 2-10 weeks.

              the scienceteacher NBCT 2004