seeking Entry 1 feedbk also

  • Greg Corder
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 20, 2005
      I teach 8th grade phys sci and am also doing NBC this year.

      First, I really want to thank all those participants on this group
      that have already finished and/or are assessors. Thanks for sticking
      around for us newbies!!!

      I am seeking some critical feedback on my selections for entry one.

      My entry 1 is on a magnetism unit in January:

      1. I am still iffy and struggling w/ the 1st piece. I am considering
      a lab that has students move a compass around a straight wire that is
      charged and a coiled wire that is charged. Then, they'd sprinkle
      metal filings around. The students will draw the magnetic fields of
      each wire. (They would have already done the same with a bar and
      horseshoe magnet, followed by metal fillings.

      2. For the 2nd one, I plan on having students determine the IVs and
      DVs of the Electromagnet applet simulation from this page:
      http://www.fossweb.com/modules3-6/MagnetismandElectricity/

      The 2nd will be my tech piece. I want to compare/contrast simulations
      to real-experiments. That will lead to the next piece. (Is this an
      adequate connection to tech?)

      3. For the 3rd one, the students will design (and later conduct) and
      experiment to test one IV that affects magnetic field strength using
      a nail, magnet wire, an adjustable DC power source, and lots of tiny
      little B-Bs.

      Themes:
      I am struggling with articulating the goals, objectives, big themes,
      and big ideas in science.

      Any feedback will be appriciated....

      greg
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
        Greg, go to your National Science Education Standards. Hopefully you
        have the NSTA Pathways book for middle school. This can you look to
        see if your goals and objectives match.
        The scienceteacher.

        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Corder" <cordergw@y...> wrote:
        > I teach 8th grade phys sci and am also doing NBC this year.
        >
        > First, I really want to thank all those participants on this group
        > that have already finished and/or are assessors. Thanks for
        sticking
        > around for us newbies!!!
        >
        > I am seeking some critical feedback on my selections for entry one.
        >
        > My entry 1 is on a magnetism unit in January:
        >
        > 1. I am still iffy and struggling w/ the 1st piece. I am
        considering
        > a lab that has students move a compass around a straight wire that
        is
        > charged and a coiled wire that is charged. Then, they'd sprinkle
        > metal filings around. The students will draw the magnetic fields of
        > each wire. (They would have already done the same with a bar and
        > horseshoe magnet, followed by metal fillings.
        >
        > 2. For the 2nd one, I plan on having students determine the IVs
        and
        > DVs of the Electromagnet applet simulation from this page:
        > http://www.fossweb.com/modules3-6/MagnetismandElectricity/
        >
        > The 2nd will be my tech piece. I want to compare/contrast
        simulations
        > to real-experiments. That will lead to the next piece. (Is this an
        > adequate connection to tech?)
        >
        > 3. For the 3rd one, the students will design (and later conduct)
        and
        > experiment to test one IV that affects magnetic field strength
        using
        > a nail, magnet wire, an adjustable DC power source, and lots of
        tiny
        > little B-Bs.
        >
        > Themes:
        > I am struggling with articulating the goals, objectives, big
        themes,
        > and big ideas in science.
        >

        > Any feedback will be appriciated....
        >
        > greg
      • tsunamiscience
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2005
          Its great that you are really planning ahead. I would suggest that
          you also add a pre-assessment quiz and a post-assessment. This would
          really,really show that the students got the main idea. You want to
          highlight students that you can show that they had no clue what you
          were talking about and then "ta-da" they got it....the pre/post is
          convincing. It also sounds like you have a great technology
          piece.Make sure the students are actually using the technology. Even
          using a spreadsheet to record data.....Good luck Madge

          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Corder" <cordergw@y...> wrote:
          > I teach 8th grade phys sci and am also doing NBC this year.
          >
          > First, I really want to thank all those participants on this group
          > that have already finished and/or are assessors. Thanks for
          sticking
          > around for us newbies!!!
          >
          > I am seeking some critical feedback on my selections for entry one.
          >
          > My entry 1 is on a magnetism unit in January:
          >
          > 1. I am still iffy and struggling w/ the 1st piece. I am
          considering
          > a lab that has students move a compass around a straight wire that
          is
          > charged and a coiled wire that is charged. Then, they'd sprinkle
          > metal filings around. The students will draw the magnetic fields of
          > each wire. (They would have already done the same with a bar and
          > horseshoe magnet, followed by metal fillings.
          >
          > 2. For the 2nd one, I plan on having students determine the IVs
          and
          > DVs of the Electromagnet applet simulation from this page:
          > http://www.fossweb.com/modules3-6/MagnetismandElectricity/
          >
          > The 2nd will be my tech piece. I want to compare/contrast
          simulations
          > to real-experiments. That will lead to the next piece. (Is this an
          > adequate connection to tech?)
          >
          > 3. For the 3rd one, the students will design (and later conduct)
          and
          > experiment to test one IV that affects magnetic field strength
          using
          > a nail, magnet wire, an adjustable DC power source, and lots of
          tiny
          > little B-Bs.
          >
          > Themes:
          > I am struggling with articulating the goals, objectives, big
          themes,
          > and big ideas in science.
          >

          > Any feedback will be appriciated....
          >
          > greg
        • Greg Corder
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2005
            If I include a pre/post quiz, would I merely elude to
            it and its findings, or would it be one of the 3
            assesmsnets?

            gc

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • tsunamiscience
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2005
              Hmmm --- I think I would just allude to them, but the three entries
              need to show the progression of learning and what you did to
              encourage that learning. Re-read the directions, but I think you
              want some kind of student work, not just answers to a quiz.
              Madge

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27, 2005
                Entry 1--- I must say was the last entry I did. I was pressed for time
                to get it in. I was cautious about using testing data in MY situation
                because I knew that I HAD show student work and technology at some
                point. Therefore, I DID NOT include my pre-assessment activity. I
                did however talk about it in my writing and noted improvements in
                student learning based the student product. I was also pressed for the
                number of pages and had to decide what was more important. MAKE sure
                that you READ the questions on your COVER SHEETS!!! They you ask to
                decribe the activity. If you decide you feel you can use testing data
                pre or post, then make sure you can clearly answer the questions on the
                cover sheets. If you will refer to your instructions, it says to choose
                your assessment strategy wisely. You can formally or informally assess
                students. ( I did give an oral assessment to a student and submitted
                the results. I had student sign and date it. I blocked out his last
                naname.) But this was not I had--- students make a mini-book as their
                final product and had to use a rubric.
                Also, use of a discrepant event can be pre-assessment as well (an
                inquiry approach). This can demonstrate misconceptions which you can
                build upon to show learning. Also remember the unit( at least mine)
                had to be anywhere from 2-10 weeks.

                the scienceteacher NBCT 2004