Re: Ideas for entry one

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19, 2005
      If you have the EA portfolio requirements rather than AYA, then we
      could give you some suggestions. Your subject and students could fit
      either of these certificate areas.
      There is nothing wrong with the topic you have chosen. But as always
      make your choices carefully. Make sure you have looked over Entry
      2-3 as well to decide which areas of strengths you have for chosing
      content representing your BEST teaching. You don't have to work on
      the entries in the order they are given. Avoid NEW ideas you haven't
      taughtin the past. Entry 1 requires you to show your ability to
      teach showing student achievement over time. You are to choose 2
      students for this entry.
      My portfolio was on weather. It began with understanding weather
      patterns,forces of nature (tornados since I live in Oklahoma, and
      unifying the concepts of physics in regard to forces( variances of
      pressure and its effects on weather patterns). This obviously isn't
      biology related. If you are starting off with Entry 1 and this is
      the start of the year, could you not emphasize cellular concepts over
      time in terms of structure, function, which could culminate to the
      understanding of photosynthesis and possibly DNA?? I believe that
      you would need to show your use of technology in this Entry. Also you
      need to check EA Science National standards to determine age
      appropriate content.

      The scienceteacher NBCT(2004)

      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "chhso5" <forkeyiv@a...> wrote:
      > Hello, I am pursuing National Board Certification this school year
      > 2005-2006. I teach Biology to Freshmen, which made this
      certificate
      > perfect fit for age range... I am curious as to what others of you
      may
      > have chosen for entry one.. I am leading towards the topic of
      > scientific methodology and experimental design... I am just
      starting
      > brainstorm some ideas. Your thoughts , comments would be
      appreciated..
      > Thanks....
    • Annette Holder
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 20, 2005
        I agree wholeheartedly with what thescienceteacher said regarding ideas for entry one.  My unit in entry on was the development of student understanding of the states of matter and how the particles are arranged within the sample.  I was really surprised at the number of misconceptions the students had.

        arholder, nbct 2004

        chhso5 <forkeyiv@...> wrote:
        Hello,  I am pursuing National Board Certification this school year
        2005-2006.  I teach Biology to Freshmen, which made this certificate a
        perfect fit for age range... I am curious as to what others of you may
        have chosen for entry one.. I am leading towards the topic of
        scientific methodology and experimental design... I am just starting to

      • forkeyiv@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
          Thanks for the feedback.. What I was thinking about was after the introduction of experimental design terms. IV. Dv, etc.... the students would then practice experimental scenarios in which they would indenty the key elements and apply them to their scenarios.. Then the students would collect and analyze data, using the CBL2 and the graphing calucltor( technology piece).  Then as a final activity, the students would design and carry out their own experiement, applying the terms and data collection used and be able to analyze their own data to determine if their hypothesis was met...  Your thoughts?
        • byrdscience
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
            --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, forkeyiv@a... wrote:
            > Thanks for the feedback.. What I was thinking about was after the
            > introduction of experimental design terms. IV. Dv, etc.... the
            students would then
            > practice experimental scenarios in which they would indenty the key
            elements and
            > apply them to their scenarios.. Then the students would collect and
            analyze
            > data, using the CBL2 and the graphing calucltor( technology
            piece). Then as a
            > final activity, the students would design and carry out their own
            > experiement, applying the terms and data collection used and be
            able to analyze their
            > own data to determine if their hypothesis was met... Your thoughts?

            My advice to you is to read and re-read your directions many times.
            Underline key words and phrases in the directions. Then read and re-
            read your NBPTS Standards. What do the Standards ask you to do? You
            must satisfy the Standards. You must have Clear-Consistent-Convincing
            teaching. Do something that you are very familiar and comfortable with
            and be sure that you have very different lessons selected for each
            entry. If you have not gotten a copy of Pathways, I would strongly
            encourage you to do so. It breaks down the National Science Standards
            into ways that you will find VERY useful for your entries and
            especially for studying for the written test.

            Best wishes and congratulations on this exciting adventure,
            Nancy, NBCT, 2003
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
              Sounds more like Entry 3( Analyzing Data) if I recall. But I guess you
              could use it. You're the BEST person to make this decision however.