Ideas for entry one

  • chhso5
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16, 2005
      Hello, I am pursuing National Board Certification this school year
      2005-2006. I teach Biology to Freshmen, which made this certificate a
      perfect fit for age range... I am curious as to what others of you may
      have chosen for entry one.. I am leading towards the topic of
      scientific methodology and experimental design... I am just starting to
      brainstorm some ideas. Your thoughts , comments would be appreciated..
      Thanks....
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 19, 2005
        If you have the EA portfolio requirements rather than AYA, then we
        could give you some suggestions. Your subject and students could fit
        either of these certificate areas.
        There is nothing wrong with the topic you have chosen. But as always
        make your choices carefully. Make sure you have looked over Entry
        2-3 as well to decide which areas of strengths you have for chosing
        content representing your BEST teaching. You don't have to work on
        the entries in the order they are given. Avoid NEW ideas you haven't
        taughtin the past. Entry 1 requires you to show your ability to
        teach showing student achievement over time. You are to choose 2
        students for this entry.
        My portfolio was on weather. It began with understanding weather
        patterns,forces of nature (tornados since I live in Oklahoma, and
        unifying the concepts of physics in regard to forces( variances of
        pressure and its effects on weather patterns). This obviously isn't
        biology related. If you are starting off with Entry 1 and this is
        the start of the year, could you not emphasize cellular concepts over
        time in terms of structure, function, which could culminate to the
        understanding of photosynthesis and possibly DNA?? I believe that
        you would need to show your use of technology in this Entry. Also you
        need to check EA Science National standards to determine age
        appropriate content.

        The scienceteacher NBCT(2004)

        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "chhso5" <forkeyiv@a...> wrote:
        > Hello, I am pursuing National Board Certification this school year
        > 2005-2006. I teach Biology to Freshmen, which made this
        certificate
        > perfect fit for age range... I am curious as to what others of you
        may
        > have chosen for entry one.. I am leading towards the topic of
        > scientific methodology and experimental design... I am just
        starting
        > brainstorm some ideas. Your thoughts , comments would be
        appreciated..
        > Thanks....
      • Annette Holder

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
            Thanks for the feedback.. What I was thinking about was after the introduction of experimental design terms. IV. Dv, etc.... the students would then practice experimental scenarios in which they would indenty the key elements and apply them to their scenarios.. Then the students would collect and analyze data, using the CBL2 and the graphing calucltor( technology piece).  Then as a final activity, the students would design and carry out their own experiement, applying the terms and data collection used and be able to analyze their own data to determine if their hypothesis was met...  Your thoughts?
          • byrdscience
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
              --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, forkeyiv@a... wrote:
              > Thanks for the feedback.. What I was thinking about was after the
              > introduction of experimental design terms. IV. Dv, etc.... the
              students would then
              > practice experimental scenarios in which they would indenty the key
              elements and
              > apply them to their scenarios.. Then the students would collect and
              analyze
              > data, using the CBL2 and the graphing calucltor( technology
              piece). Then as a
              > final activity, the students would design and carry out their own
              > experiement, applying the terms and data collection used and be
              able to analyze their
              > own data to determine if their hypothesis was met... Your thoughts?

              My advice to you is to read and re-read your directions many times.
              Underline key words and phrases in the directions. Then read and re-
              read your NBPTS Standards. What do the Standards ask you to do? You
              must satisfy the Standards. You must have Clear-Consistent-Convincing
              teaching. Do something that you are very familiar and comfortable with
              and be sure that you have very different lessons selected for each
              entry. If you have not gotten a copy of Pathways, I would strongly
              encourage you to do so. It breaks down the National Science Standards
              into ways that you will find VERY useful for your entries and
              especially for studying for the written test.

              Best wishes and congratulations on this exciting adventure,
              Nancy, NBCT, 2003
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
                Sounds more like Entry 3( Analyzing Data) if I recall. But I guess you
                could use it. You're the BEST person to make this decision however.