Re: [EASCI] Just beginning National Board Certification Process

  • Peg Brody
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2005
      Is that in Florida?
    • Cinnamon
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
        The most important thing is to make sure you understand and answer the questions using the standards from the National Boards. Follow the directions religiously. Get started the moment school gets back in- having your students sign the video taping permission with all those other papers from the first days of school. Good luck, it is doable.

        Cinnamon in NC
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005

          No, I am in Alabama.
          Peg Brody <PegBrody@...> wrote:
          Is that in Florida?

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • newkirk linda
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005

            Wendy:

            What state are you in?   You can download all the information from the National Board Certification web site.

            http://www.nbpt.org    go to candidate resources, and then to 2005 candidate information, then go to click here to access Portfolio instructions scroll down to Science Early Adolescence Certificate

            Make sure to download and print off everything:  this will take awhile and about 500 plus pages

            Introduction

            Getting Started

            Resources

            Entry 1

            Entry 2

            Entry 3

            Entry 4

            Pack and Ship

            Major Areas in Science

            Make sure you download and print 2005-2006 Addendum to Portfolio Instructions.

            Then scroll to the top of the page at the web site and click on downloads and scroll down to Science and download and print off Scoring Guide.  This is important because this will help you with to see how your entries will be scored.  The assessors use these guidelines when scoring your entries.

            Then scroll to the bottom of the page and print off the Miscellaneous Forms

            Make sure you follow the guidelines for the portfolio instructions, each year the directions may change some.  I know when I scored entry 4 you could have more pages for accomplishments and documentations than when I went through the process.

            Here are some helpful guidelines and advised I used:

            1. This is doable, just take time to plan ahead and start now
            2. You are not alone! Use the support system around you( school district, mentor candidates, national board resources and this web site) Have someone read each of your entries and view the videos ( It is best to have an outside reader(s))
            3. As you are handing out your syllabus/rules at the beginning of the year hand out the release forms, have them signed and returned. Then keep them in a notebook.
            4. So that you do not get overwhelmed this advised helped me

            ·         Read over introduction, getting started, resources and  portfolio instructions over the summer

            ·         Create a notebook for each entry then place copies of all the forms, instructions and scoring guides for that entry in that notebook

            ·         The BOX may not arrive until late September or October ( So use the information you downloaded from the web site to get started)

            ·         Check with the National Board web site for changes and updates

            ·         Plan on spending a month (4-5 weeks on an entry)

                       Example:  this is just an example you can do them in any order.

                              - First couple of weeks of school work on release forms and notifying parents you are going through the

                   process and set up a camera so students will get comfortable with a camera in the room.

            -          September Entry 3 Inquiry Through Investigation 20 minute—Video

            -          October-November   Entry 4    Accomplishments and Documentations

            -          December   make corrections and rewrites

            -           I made copies for all the forms for each entry and filled in all the information (postdate them) this takes awhile so do this ahead of time.

            -          January   Entry 1 Designing Science Instruction

            -          February  Entry 2 Probing Student Understanding 20 minute – video

            -          March      make corrections and rewrites

            -                         Prepare to pack and ship

            -          celebrate your done with the portfolio entries

            -          April or May      begin studying for the assessment test (Take online tutorial)

            -                                  Practice typing and study each assessment question

            -                                  Set up test date

            -          April - June        Test

            -          wait until November for results

            Good Luck Wendy and if you have any questions just email.

            Note:  new email address staring July 18

            newkirk.linda@...

            Linda Newkirk

            Union 8th Grade Center

            Earth Science

            461-3854

            newkirkl@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2005
              Hopefully your state offers meetings for national board candidates.
              If you aren't sure, you need to call your state department of
              education and ask if there are any support groups. At support groups
              you will probably be able to see sample of portfolios from successful
              candidates. This helped me alot when I was going through the process.
              Also by now, you should have downloaded your portfolio instructions.
              There are sections that will tell you what materials are needed to
              video tape your classrooms, microphone suggestions, and yada,yada. I
              had other volunteer teachers that gave up their planning periods to
              video tape my classroom.
              1. Think about your strong areas of interests in teaching and write
              on those.
              2. Don't try to start on new programs. I did do this but it was
              nerve racking.
              3. Note the core propostions for EACH entry and use them.
              4. Become familiar with the National Science Standards---use them in
              regard to your teaching context.
              5. ALWAYS Answer the questions they ask of you when you are
              writing!!!!!!

              You might want to exam Entry 1 and Entry 4. There are no video tapes
              required for any of these. Entry 4 is about your professionalism
              over the past 5 years(if they haven't changed this time span). I
              would start to gather my documents and if you have any examples of
              student work that spport your successes during this time frame--- get
              started! Of course you won't be able to complete all of entry 4 this
              summer.
              As far as organization, I did this. I bought 4 paper folders one for
              each entry. Then I placed the entire instructions inside. This was a
              quick reference book while I was working on that particular entry. I
              underlined key and revelant requirements. The Do's as well as the Do
              Not's. When the directions say do it--- you had better. When the
              directions say don't do this--- you had better.

              But remember there is still other important information in your
              portfolio that also must be followed so I kept this in a separate
              binder for reference.
              Each candidate found there own unique way to help them stay on top of
              things.

              Nonetheless, welcome and we are hear to help in anyway.

              Yours truly,
              TheScienceTeacher
              Eleonore Dennis, Oklahoma NBCT 2004