Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 49

  • Mary Jo Kohunsky
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2000
      I'm so happy someone else is out there! I'll look into the bio misconceptions. I still have the Science for All Americans and Benchmarks (both of which I downloaded from the project2061 website) which I used during the writing of my portfolio. I also have National Science Education Standards, which I got at a meeting last year. I'm sure that should be required reading as well.

      Thanks for your suggestions. Keep 'em coming!
      Mary Jo in MO

      >>> <EASCI@egroups.com> 04/12/00 02:04 AM >>>
      Enjoy the award-winning journalism of The New York Times with
      convenient home delivery. And for a limited time, get 50% off for the
      first 8 weeks by subscribing. Pay by credit card and receive an
      additional 4 weeks at this low introductory rate.
      http://click.egroups.com/1/3100/0/_/527038/_/955523043/

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Getting Ready for the AC
      From: jsaia@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 07:36:12 -0500
      From: jsaia@...
      Subject: Re: Getting Ready for the AC

      You're on the right track with your list of books, and I can help... I am
      also a curriculum writer for a project called Envirotacklebox which is put
      out by our local PBS station. We based one of our modules (with permission
      from NSTA) on the Decisions Based on Science Book. I also studied the
      Science Misconceptions book when I was getting ready for AC last year, and
      it helped a lot. It is only physical science, though...ry to also find
      something which covers biology. Some other sources I looked at included
      the AAAS book Science for All Americans and Benchmarks for Science
      Literacy. Let me know if I can help!
      Jill

    • missy talley
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12, 2000
        I am an EA/sci candidate and mailed my box Monday. Yippee!! I feel like I
        did my very best for the portfolio but I'm scared to death about the
        assessment exam. I have NO experience in Earth Science or Physical Science.
        I have taught Life Science for nine years. I am confident in this area
        but don't know where to start to prepare for the AC. My content knowledge
        for earth science is limited to what I remember from eighth grade (many
        years ago). Although I am certified to teach chemistry, I have no
        experience actually teaching physical science.
        I plan to begin an intense study of earth science and physical science using
        books, videos, etc. that are available from the school's science department.
        Once I feel more confident in my own knowledge level, I will begin reading
        the books that have been mentioned on this list serve about
        "misconceptions", "assessments", etc.
        Am I on the right track?
        Anyone out there have any recommendations that may help me in this process?
        I feel like I am a great Life Science teacher but I really don't have the
        content knowledge that I need to be successful at the AC.
        I really appreciate the information that has already been posted (especially
        the titles of the books).
        Thanks for any help/advice.