Getting Ready for the AC

  • mkohunsky@pkwy.k12.mo.us
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2000
      Hello out there, fellow candidates! I hope we can share tips and
      resources that might be useful to all of us as we prepare for the
      AC. I'll start us out.
      Recently I ordered some publications from NSTA that look good:

      Real Science, Real Decisions (a collection of thinking activities
      from The Science teacher). - might help for STS Exercise II. 32
      pages

      Targeting Students' Science Misconceptions: Physical Science Concepts
      Using the Conceptual Change Model -- lists misconceptions in some
      areas, and suggests labs to remedy them. 246 pages. Obviously for
      Misconceptions Exercise IV.

      Science Educators Guide to Assessment. Lists lab activities and
      scoring guides and check lists. I wish I had this back when I wrote
      Entry 2! 210 pages. -- might help with all of the exercises.

      One-Minute Readings: Issues in Science, Technology, and Society. 132
      pages. 80 one-page or so articles that are good topics for Exercise
      II.

      Decisions Based on Science. Gives student section with background
      info on a topic, the decision to be made (such as you are adviser to
      the president on this issue...how will you advise?), guiding
      questions. Teacher section lists some arguments for and "against"
      various decisions. I think I can use some of these in class before
      the AC to see how they work. Definitely for STS Exercise II.

      So let's see what we can come up with. NBCT's, please suggest ways
      to prepare for the 4 exercises, such as what might be useful to bring
      in, how you organized, other publications or activities you think
      might be useful in preparing. I am still looking forward to finding
      ANYTHING on Unifying Concepts besides what is in the National Science
      Education Standards.

      We are all in this together, so let's share and share alike!
      Good luck to all who are still finishing the box. I just fedexed
      mine this evening.

      Mary Jo in MO