Referral, Travel, and Airlines - xPosted

  • drweeks61
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2 6:33 AM
      I haven't been out on the group in awhile and thought I should share the news that on November 11th we received our referral. A 4 1/2 month old baby girl we are naming Naomi. We passed court on January 8th and our Embassy date is tentatively scheduled for March 8th. We are making plans to fly out of Chicago on February 27th and have been working with Susan Parr Travel. However, when researching flight on our own we're finding much better deals, espcially on Turkish Air which doesn't seem to be an airline that I've heard adoptive families take. Anyone know why? What airlines have others used and what was your experience like?

      Thanks.

      Debbie
    • Carol Deely
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2 9:30 AM

        HI Debbie

        Congratulations on your referral. The first time we traveled we used Susan Parr and went on Ethiopian Air. The second time we traveled we booked ourselves and flew KLM. The KLM planes were newer and more spacious. We didn’t feel Susan Parr’s company offered any added value and we had a few small problems with them so we just did it ourselves the second time.

        Good luck!

        Carol Deely

      • Cindy Meiresonne
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2 10:23 AM
          Debbie,

          My mom flew Turkish Air when we went to Ethiopia.  She loved it and said it was perfect.  She said the seats were comfortable and the food was good, (if that's possible).  :-)

          They did not have to get a visa or anything in Turkey... I am not sure about the kiddos though.

          Overall she was very impressed with Turkish Air.  She also booked the tickets herself.

          If you have anymore questions let me know! :-)

          Thanks,
          Cindy Meiresonne

          I haven't been out on the group in awhile and thought I should share the news that on November 11th we received our referral. A 4 1/2 month old baby girl we are naming Naomi. We passed court on January 8th and our Embassy date is tentatively scheduled for March 8th. We are making plans to fly out of Chicago on February 27th and have been working with Susan Parr Travel. However, when researching flight on our own we're finding much better deals, espcially on Turkish Air which doesn't seem to be an airline that I've heard adoptive families take. Anyone know why? What airlines have others used and what was your experience like?

          Thanks.

          Debbie

        • Ruthanne Focht

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2 11:04 AM

              We had some hiccups with Susan Parr, too, and several folks in our travel group struggled with itineraries that were messed up by Susan Parr.  Would not recommend.

              I found this on the Turkish Consulate page regarding Transit Visas:

              A) By AIR: If you are a visa-national (other than those who can get visa at the port of entry), you will not need visa for transit as long as you pass in immediate and continuous transit through a Turkish airport. Please note that you cannot leave airport transit area and you must  hold a ticket  to a destination outside of Turkey.  You must also have  permission/visa to enter the destination country, if such permit/visa is required.

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2 11:11 AM
                Ruthanne,

                I know several families who have booked through Susan Parr Travel, so maybe that explains why I've never heard of anyone flying Turkish Air.

                Also, thanks for the tip on Addis Travel. We've never used a travel agency for any of our travel in the past. It's so easy compare prices and book on-line that I'm having trouble seeing the benefit of a travel agency.

                Debbie

                --- In EAKC@yahoogroups.com, Ruthanne Focht <ruthannefocht@...> wrote:

                > I am flying Turkish Air on Saturday at the recommendation of a friend who
                > has flown that and Ethiopian Air to ET in the past. Susan Parr does not
                > like Turkish Air (because she doesn't get a cut, I think) and was kind of
                > rude to me when I asked her about it. I used Addis Travel and got a great
                > deal. I worked with Tesfa and he was very helpful.
                >

                > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Cindy Meiresonne <jmcm0924@...>wrote:
                >

                > > Debbie,
                > >
                > > My mom flew Turkish Air when we went to Ethiopia. She loved it and said it
                > > was perfect. She said the seats were comfortable and the food was good, (if
                > > that's possible). :-)
                > >
                > > They did not have to get a visa or anything in Turkey... I am not sure
                > > about the kiddos though.
                > >
                > > Overall she was very impressed with Turkish Air. She also booked the
                > > tickets herself.
                > >
                > > If you have anymore questions let me know! :-)
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Cindy Meiresonne

              • drweeks61
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2 11:12 AM
                  Ruthanne, are you leaving Saturday on a pick up trip?

                  Anyone else traveling this month or next month?

                  Debbie

                  --- In EAKC@yahoogroups.com, Ruthanne Focht <ruthannefocht@...> wrote:

                  > I am flying Turkish Air on Saturday at the recommendation of a friend who
                  > has flown that and Ethiopian Air to ET in the past. Susan Parr does not
                  > like Turkish Air (because she doesn't get a cut, I think) and was kind of
                  > rude to me when I asked her about it. I used Addis Travel and got a great
                  > deal. I worked with Tesfa and he was very helpful.
                  >

                  > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Cindy Meiresonne <jmcm0924@...>wrote:
                  >

                  > > Debbie,
                  > >
                  > > My mom flew Turkish Air when we went to Ethiopia. She loved it and said it
                  > > was perfect. She said the seats were comfortable and the food was good, (if
                  > > that's possible). :-)
                  > >
                  > > They did not have to get a visa or anything in Turkey... I am not sure
                  > > about the kiddos though.
                  > >
                  > > Overall she was very impressed with Turkish Air. She also booked the
                  > > tickets herself.
                  > >
                  > > If you have anymore questions let me know! :-)
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Cindy Meiresonne

                • Ruthanne Focht
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2 11:13 AM
                    Debbie: the price I got through Addis Travel was slightly lower than the price I found on line. Also, the Turkish Air website kept crashing on me and I was afraid to use it for booking.

                    On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, drweeks61 <debweeks@...> wrote:

                    Ruthanne,

                    I know several families who have booked through Susan Parr Travel, so maybe that explains why I've never heard of anyone flying Turkish Air.

                    Also, thanks for the tip on Addis Travel. We've never used a travel agency for any of our travel in the past. It's so easy compare prices and book on-line that I'm having trouble seeing the benefit of a travel agency.

                    Debbie

                    --- In EAKC@yahoogroups.com, Ruthanne Focht <ruthannefocht@...> wrote:

                    > I am flying Turkish Air on Saturday at the recommendation of a friend who
                    > has flown that and Ethiopian Air to ET in the past. Susan Parr does not
                    > like Turkish Air (because she doesn't get a cut, I think) and was kind of
                    > rude to me when I asked her about it. I used Addis Travel and got a great
                    > deal. I worked with Tesfa and he was very helpful.
                    >

                    > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Cindy Meiresonne <jmcm0924@...>wrote:
                    >

                    > > Debbie,
                    > >
                    > > My mom flew Turkish Air when we went to Ethiopia. She loved it and said it
                    > > was perfect. She said the seats were comfortable and the food was good, (if
                    > > that's possible). :-)
                    > >
                    > > They did not have to get a visa or anything in Turkey... I am not sure
                    > > about the kiddos though.
                    > >
                    > > Overall she was very impressed with Turkish Air. She also booked the
                    > > tickets herself.
                    > >
                    > > If you have anymore questions let me know! :-)
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Cindy Meiresonne

                  • Ruthanne Focht
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2 11:18 AM
                      Yes I am!!!

                      Here's the other reason I am using Turkish Air vs. ET air or Emirates. They fly directly from O'Hare to Istanbul. I was really nervous about hitting bad weather at JFK or Dulles and being delayed by a whole day there. At least this way, I can get to somewhere with better weather than we are having here right now. My friend said that the Istanbul airport is very nice also.

                      On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:12 PM, drweeks61 <debweeks@...> wrote:

                      Ruthanne, are you leaving Saturday on a pick up trip?

                      Anyone else traveling this month or next month?

                      Debbie

                      --- In EAKC@yahoogroups.com, Ruthanne Focht <ruthannefocht@...> wrote:

                      > I am flying Turkish Air on Saturday at the recommendation of a friend who
                      > has flown that and Ethiopian Air to ET in the past. Susan Parr does not
                      > like Turkish Air (because she doesn't get a cut, I think) and was kind of
                      > rude to me when I asked her about it. I used Addis Travel and got a great
                      > deal. I worked with Tesfa and he was very helpful.
                      >

                      > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Cindy Meiresonne <jmcm0924@...>wrote:
                      >

                      > > Debbie,
                      > >
                      > > My mom flew Turkish Air when we went to Ethiopia. She loved it and said it
                      > > was perfect. She said the seats were comfortable and the food was good, (if
                      > > that's possible). :-)
                      > >
                      > > They did not have to get a visa or anything in Turkey... I am not sure
                      > > about the kiddos though.
                      > >
                      > > Overall she was very impressed with Turkish Air. She also booked the
                      > > tickets herself.
                      > >
                      > > If you have anymore questions let me know! :-)
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Cindy Meiresonne

                    • drweeks61
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 2 11:27 AM
                        I had to go back and look at the past messages I've missed and found your blog. Your boys are adorable!

                        We have a little princess we brought home from Guatemala in March, 2008 and now in March, 2010 we'll be bringing our Ethiopian princess home.

                      • Bryan Theis
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 2 11:36 AM
                          Debbie,

                          We don't normally use a travel agency either but we did this time for convenience, I can say I too was disappointed with Susan Parr.  I did like that they could fix any problem that arose and that they got our free hotel in Dubai taken care of etc.

                          Jennifer

                          I know several families who have booked through Susan Parr Travel, so maybe that explains why I've never heard of anyone flying Turkish Air.

                          Also, thanks for the tip on Addis Travel. We've never used a travel agency for any of our travel in the past. It's so easy compare prices and book on-line that I'm having trouble seeing the benefit of a travel agency.

                          Debbie

                          --- In EAKC@yahoogroups. com, Ruthanne Focht <ruthannefocht@ ...> wrote:

                          > I am flying Turkish Air on Saturday at the recommendation of a friend who
                          > has flown that and Ethiopian Air to ET in the past. Susan Parr does not
                          > like Turkish Air (because she doesn't get a cut, I think) and was kind of
                          > rude to me when I asked her about it. I used Addis Travel and got a great
                          > deal. I worked with Tesfa and he was very helpful.
                          >

                          > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Cindy Meiresonne <jmcm0924@.. .>wrote:
                          >

                          > > Debbie,
                          > >
                          > > My mom flew Turkish Air when we went to Ethiopia. She loved it and said it
                          > > was perfect. She said the seats were comfortable and the food was good, (if
                          > > that's possible). :-)
                          > >
                          > > They did not have to get a visa or anything in Turkey... I am not sure
                          > > about the kiddos though.
                          > >
                          > > Overall she was very impressed with Turkish Air. She also booked the
                          > > tickets herself.
                          > >
                          > > If you have anymore questions let me know! :-)
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > > Cindy Meiresonne

                        • Betsy Berger
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 2 11:43 AM
                            Hey, Debbie,

                            Congratulations on your referral AND passing court...I am actually in the middle of making my trip preparations this afternoon and was going to reach out to Susan Parr myself. This string of travel advice was perfect timing! We'll be in Ethiopia from Feb. 25 through March 5 so we'll just miss you...Hopefully soon my little guy can meet your little gal when we're back in Illinois!

                            Betsy

                            I had to go back and look at the past messages I've missed and found your blog. Your boys are adorable!

                            We have a little princess we brought home from Guatemala in March, 2008 and now in March, 2010 we'll be bringing our Ethiopian princess home.

                            Debbie

                            --- In EAKC@yahoogroups. com, Ruthanne Focht <ruthannefocht@ ...> wrote:

                            > Yes I am!!!
                            >
                            > Here's the other reason I am using Turkish Air vs. ET air or Emirates. They
                            > fly directly from O'Hare to Istanbul. I was really nervous about hitting bad
                            > weather at JFK or Dulles and being delayed by a whole day there. At least
                            > this way, I can get to somewhere with better weather than we are having here
                            > right now. My friend said that the Istanbul airport is very nice also.
                            >

                            > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:12 PM, drweeks61 <debweeks@.. .> wrote:
                            >

                            > > Ruthanne, are you leaving Saturday on a pick up trip?
                            > >
                            > > Anyone else traveling this month or next month?
                            > >

                            > > Debbie
                            > >
                            > > --- In EAKC@yahoogroups. com <EAKC%40yahoogroups .com>, Ruthanne Focht
                            > > <ruthannefocht@ > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I am flying Turkish Air on Saturday at the recommendation of a friend who
                            > > > has flown that and Ethiopian Air to ET in the past. Susan Parr does not
                            > > > like Turkish Air (because she doesn't get a cut, I think) and was kind of
                            > > > rude to me when I asked her about it. I used Addis Travel and got a great
                            > > > deal. I worked with Tesfa and he was very helpful.

                            > > it
                            > > (if

                          • drweeks61
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 2 11:49 AM
                              Betsy,

                              We are planning to leave February 27th and won't return until March 12th, so our trips will cross that first week of March.

                              Where are you staying?

                              We need to plan a big get together in April somewhere.

                              Debbie
                              --- In EAKC@yahoogroups.com, Betsy Berger <bberger26@...> wrote:

                              > Hey, Debbie,
                              >
                              > Congratulations on your referral AND passing court...I am actually in the middle of making my trip preparations this afternoon and was going to reach out to Susan Parr myself. This string of travel advice was perfect timing! We'll be in Ethiopia from Feb. 25 through March 5 so we'll just miss you...Hopefully soon my little guy can meet your little gal when we're back in Illinois!
                              >
                              > Betsy

                            • Betsy Berger
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 2 12:01 PM
                                We'll be staying at our agency's guest house in Addis...so excited!!! Can't believe it's finally here!

                                Yes, it'll be so nice to finally show up at an event with our little boy in tow!!! Safe travels, and hope to see you this spring.

                              • Ruthanne Focht
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 2 4:26 PM
                                  Thanks, Debbie. I think they're both pretty cute too. ;)

                                  On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM, drweeks61 <debweeks@...> wrote:

                                  I had to go back and look at the past messages I've missed and found your blog. Your boys are adorable!

                                  We have a little princess we brought home from Guatemala in March, 2008 and now in March, 2010 we'll be bringing our Ethiopian princess home.

                                  Debbie

                                • Rebekah
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 3 6:35 AM
                                    Has anyone flown Lufthansa?

                                    --- In EAKC@yahoogroups.com, Betsy Berger <bberger26@...> wrote:

                                    > Hey, Debbie,
                                    >
                                    > Congratulations on your referral AND passing court...I am actually in the middle of making my trip preparations this afternoon and was going to reach out to Susan Parr myself. This string of travel advice was perfect timing! We'll be in Ethiopia from Feb. 25 through March 5 so we'll just miss you...Hopefully soon my little guy can meet your little gal when we're back in Illinois!
                                    >
                                    > Betsy

                                  • Valerie Hausman
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 3 6:55 PM
                                      Congrats!!
                                      In defense of Susan Parr...I used her and thought she was wonderful.  She helped plan the extra traveling I did ahead of time (hotels, flights, tour guides, etc.).  She knew her stuff and was very reasonably priced for the amount of work she did.
                                      -Val

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 4 8:26 AM

                                        We flew to ET once on BMI (got super cheap tix) when we travelled to visit after our referral didn’t need the flexible dates. For our trip to pick up our son, we definitely needed the flexible dates and we used Susan Parr and were quite happy with her. Her rates were comparable to the other adoption rates offered at Golden Rule. She was also great about setting up our in-country flights to see our son’s hometown as well as setting up the hotel stay there which would have been very difficult to pre-book without her contacts.

                                        So, I would say if you are going for just a visit it and also don’t need to worry about visas for stop-overs then book on your own wherever it is cheapest, but Susan Parr was a good option for our actual adoption trip.

                                        Best,

                                        Sandra

                                        Mom to Ferhan (3) and Josie (5)

[...]

                                      • Sara Tomovick
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 12 6:05 PM
                                          Hi. New to group and would like to attend the pot luck 2/14- lost the details- could you forward this, pls.?  Looking forward to meeting e/o!  Sara

                                          To: EAKC@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: bberger26@...
                                          Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:01:44 -0800
                                          Subject: Re: [EAKC] Re: Referral, Travel, and Airlines - xPosted