Re: [EAKC] Facebook group

  • Valerie Hausman
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
      Sally, you rock!!
      xoxo

      From: Sally Battle <sally_battle22@...>
      To: "EAKC@yahoogroups.com" <EAKC@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 10:55 PM
      Subject: [EAKC] Facebook group

      Hello EAKC,

      It was great meeting many of you at camp this last weekend.  You have such beautiful families and interesting stories.  Thank you again to the wonderful organizers who made it all happen!

      A few months ago there was a thread regarding moving EAKC from the blog interface to a facebook group.  It seems that most people were amenable to the idea, as long as EAKC@yahoogroups.com doesn't become extinct.  My apologies for the length of time it took me to move this forward, but I've started a group on facebook - "Chicago Area Ethiopian American Kids Community."  I've made it a "closed group," meaning that anyone can see the group and who's in it, but only members see posts.  So far I've only added the one group shot to the site -- I wanted to make sure that people are okay with sharing photos from the flickr site that Mary Chris posted before I went crazy adding pictures.

      Right now anyone who would like to join the facebook group can do so by following the steps below:

      1.  Log in to facebook
      2.  Search for "Chicago Area Ethiopian Kids Community"
      3.  In a gray subtitle bar under the picture montage on the far right hand side of the screen, you should see a "Join Group" button.  Click it.
      4.  One of the group administrators (I am the only one right now) can approve your request and you are in!
      5.  Once you're in, you can post to the group (again, only members will see your posts), add photos, files, post events, etc.

      For the non-facebook members who do not wish to make the fb plunge, you could join just EAKC, but still be unsearchable to your other friends, by using a false name and a different email address :)  Then you could post your real name on the EAKC page.  Just thought I'd suggest it in case you really don't want to be on facebook, but don't want to miss anything!
      Currently I am the only administrator, but please let me know if you'd like administrator access.  I'm excited about the facebook group -- but I really don't know facebook very well - so if someone else would like to take over, or tweak things, please advise.

      Please feel free to email if things are not clear or if you have suggestions.  Hope everyone enjoys these last few weeks of summer.

      Take care,

      sally