Re: [E-Chir] Re: EMS and fist aid working together

  • James D Sena
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
      Sphygmograph IIRC.

        It's an interesting tool.  Probably on of the better uses is to appear to a loved one that you are doing something while you wait for EMS.  (Provided there isn't something better you SHOULD be doing of course!)  And as stated elsewhere, EMS doesn't mind usually having a baseline from before they got there.  At least the EMS teams I've dealt with!

        Unfortunately taking blood pressures is becoming a lost art.  Too many places are taking BPs only with the automated roll around machines, and people are forgetting skills they knew.

      My Kingdom Chirurgeon, Mir, has a kit I love.  It's like a modular system, all in one bag.  Just wish I could find it at an affordable price.

      Lord Brendan ap Llewelyn

      KIM MCAULEY wrote:
      You are also absolutely correct. We are also taught to do an initial pulse check at both the carotid and distal points and record the information, and also any changes if it is redone. And all those other things you discuss are also very very good information, most are a lot more important than a BP reading.

      Inside joke, how do you tell a Standard first aider from an Advanced? The Advanced will automatically reach for the 2 pulse points together instead of just one ::grins::

      However, we shouldn't dismiss the value of taking an initial blood pressure, if your training includes it and the situation permits it. Some first aid training includes it, some doesn't. SCA policy, last I heard, says that you may/should take it if you are trained. This is not to say that everyone should immediately run out and learn to use one. But if it is included in your training and you have the time, by all means do it.

      Ok, be honest and don't Google... who can say the real name of a BP cuff? And spell it correctly?

      Kaellyn

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
        --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, KIM MCAULEY <viscountessk@...> wrote:

        > Ok, be honest and don't Google... who can say the real name of a BP
        cuff? And spell it correctly?

        sphygmomanometer

        ... and the one I use on myself at home is digital, bulletproof, and
        way more accurate than anybody needs.

        But, in 18 years with the Patrol, I've never, ever been trained in the
        use of a sphygmo, and probably never will. We consider it useful for
        advanced diagnosis, which is beyond the scope of the care we provide.
        Vitals are:
        Airway (patent, partially obstructed, noisy, obstructed, etc)
        Breathing (regular, irregular, ragged, etc.)
        Pulse (2 locations present/absent, count, strength, condition, etc.)
        Level of Consciousness (Glasgow scale)
        Skin (colour, condition, temperature, etc.)
        Pupil Response (equal/unequal dilation/response, etc.)

        Changes in these co-indicate changes in BP (and other things).

        Our training is directed at cold weather applications, where the
        rubber of a cuff may become brittle, crack, be unreliable. The above
        stuff is reliable no matter the temperature.
      • S. Rabinovitch
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
          "sphygnomometer"
          TSivia (who always wows them in doctors' offices with that)

          Ok, be honest and don't Google... who can say the real name of a BP cuff? And spell it correctly?
          Kaellyn
          .

        • Kim
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
            Really? Care to share the make and model?

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
              --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <viscountessk@...> wrote:

              > Really? Care to share the make and model?

              Sure, it's a LifeSource UA-704VL Manual model.

              It's small, cheap and only takes 1 AA battery.

              BP Accuracy is claimed to be plus or minus 3 mm Hg or 2% whichever is
              greater.
              Pulse Accuracy is claimed to be plus or minus 5%

              Drawback: can't be used in extreme cold/heat. It's operating range
              is 50F to 104F, <85% humidity

              It's from A & D Medical in Milpitas, California, but I bought it at
              Shoppers Drug Mart.
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                With the new modalities, we no longer teach the
                "lay person" to take a "pulse", anywhere, period...
                We are to only teaching/recerting EMS to "take pulses "...

                Have fun with this one,

                MaryCatharine
                ...."Of course he has a knife. He always has knives.
                We all have knives.  It's 1183 and we're all barbarians."

                Katharine Hepburn (1907 - 2003) As: Eleanor of  Aquitaine.
                The Lion in Winter. 1968
[...]

                Click Here To Receive My New Creations In Your Inbox!
                Letter Made: January 6, 2005
                Font Used: Harrington
                For Personal Use Only! No Copyright Infringement Intended
              • Benetti,Sandy [Ontario]
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                  Message
                  Who is "we" St. John's, Red Cross, someone else? Any one with CPR training gets taught how to take a pulse.  I don't know if it's mandatory, but at Pennsic they asked for copies of my CPR certs as well as my first aid ones.

                  S.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                    The new Heart and Stroke guidelines (which govern St. John's, Red Cross and all other first aid training providers) no longer teach pulse checks to the lay provider. In fact, there is no longer a check for signs of circulation of any type. If you have to breathe for a patient, then you immediately start CPR. These new standards came into effect in either September or October of this year.

                    Xristina

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                      Message
                      Thanks for the update.  So, what about the first aid side (St. Johns and Red Cross) do they not teach that any more either?

                      Seonag

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                           The further dumbing down of CPR.  We had that in my ARC CPR class when I renewed this year.  The given reason was "In an emergency most people can't remember how to check for a pulse, or even find their own".

                          I disagree with it, and I won't stop checking for a pulse myself.  Then again my original training was not "lay person".  For the first 10 years I had a CPR card it was either "CPR for the Professional Rescuer" or "CPR for Health Care Providers".  It is a much more educational program than "Standard CPR with AED".

                          And don't even get me started on the dumbing down of AEDs either.

                        Lord Brendan ap Llewelyn

                          Ninka wrote:
[...]

                        No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.430 / Virus Database: 268.15.6/568 - Release Date: 12/4/2006 3:20 PM

                      • Benetti,Sandy [Ontario]
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                          Message
                          Hey maybe we can go "medieval" on them and resort to leaches and maggots (noting that still are both used in modern medicine and that in some cases maggots work better and cleaning up a nasty wound than  a lot of modern antibiotics).

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                            While leeches and maggots are used - it must be remembered that maggots eat
                            dead flesh only - if infected - antibiotics are still used - I myself have
                            applied leeches and maggots to flesh in my work! Not really nice to do - but
                            it was cool in a clinical way - the leech story isnt really gross and i can
                            share if wanted but the maggot story is a little graphic - still willing to
                            share but email firect and i will save the group the grossness!! LOL
                            Giovanni Ferraius (aka John)

                            >From: "Benetti,Sandy [Ontario]" <sandy.benetti@...>
                            >To: <E-Chir@yahoogroups.com>
                            >Subject: RE: [E-Chir] Re: EMS and fist aid working together
                            >Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:18:31 -0500
                            >
                            >Hey maybe we can go "medieval" on them and resort to leaches and maggots
                            >(noting that still are both used in modern medicine and that in some
                            >cases maggots work better and cleaning up a nasty wound than a lot of
                            >modern antibiotics).
                            >
                            >Seonag :)

                            Download now! Visit http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/ to enter and see
                            how cool it is to get Messenger with you on your cell phone.
                            http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                              That was the whole point...
                              The "we" IS everyone...

                              It is not the "new Heart and Stroke guidelines".

                              It is the new guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first aid were released recently by ILCOR, the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation, in 2006, who are  the body that reviews CPR and first aid every five years.

                              ( This is why everyone from Red Cross, to St. John's, and beyond update the modalities, every five years...)

                              The most important thing for Canadians to know right now is that the CPR they've been trained to perform is not “wrong.” The new guidelines reflect current scientific research and are a natural evolution of CPR since its introduction to the general public over 20 years ago.  The new recommended guidelines are focussed on simplifying CPR even further, making it even easier to learn.

                              I teach how to take the carotid, brachial pulse, radial pulse, and femoral pulses...
                              I do not have to, but I do.

                              I could show the Abdominal aorta,  (Very thin individuals may be able to note a slight pulsation beneath the stomach when lying down in a relaxed position. This pulsation is caused by the abdominal aorta, the continuation of the aorta from the heart. At the level of the umbilicus (belly button), the aorta splits into the left and right common iliac arteries which deliver blood to the legs.)
                              Or the Popliteal artery, (This artery lies behind the knee. Bend your knee slightly and feel in the soft area behind the knee.)

                              I do not normally teach this to lay people because it confuses them, especially if it their first time learning First-Aid & CPR/AED.  I have been instructing for 17 years.

                              Yours in health and safety,

                              MariaKatharina