Re: [E-Chir] EMS and fist aid working together

  • KIM MCAULEY
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 30, 2006
      Things do change minimally from year to year, but the process in general is the same one set up for the first year that EMS was on site 24/7. That would be Pennsic 26, and the war chirurgeon way back then (goodness, that was me) worked with Portersville to establish simple handoff procedures.

      Basically, it works exactly the same way as first aid does in the field, you call 911 when you need to under first aid protocols. Only at Pennsic, calling 911 means
      - raising your voice and yelling "Dave!" or some other name of the EMS on duty,
      - walking 20 feet to the back of the tent and either bringing EMS to the patient or the pt to EMS, or
      - getting on the radio and asking EMS to appear.

      There is absolutely no change in what you call 911 or EMS for, that is all dictated by your first aid training. You get paperwork and information only as you can depending on the situation, but try hard to get minimal information for the report.

      90% of calls at Pennsic come to chirurgeon's point and are responded to by a chirurgeon. They assess the situation and respond and/or call for further assistance. The rest of the calls either bypass chirurgeons and go directly to EMS themselves, or the reported situation is urgent and serious enough that EMS is contacted directly.

      FYI - average statistics over the past 6 years, last year not included. There are usually 120 - 150 chirurgeons working at point through Pennsic. We treat between 650 - 800 injuries, and that doesn't count simple 'supply requests'. EMS treats between 150-190 patients, and most of them were probably treated by chirurgeons first. Just a bit of extra info to add to the report from the Board that I'm sure you're all reading.

      Kaellyn

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 30, 2006
        Hey all,

        So basicly we should handle it the same way We do here at the fire department....

        I'm 1st responder to a 911 call, My basic job is to stabilize and treat to my ability, and if the emergency is beyond my training ....it is to call or wait for "higher care personell"

        why does it sound so much more complicated then that?

        Drake of Timberwolfe/Godwesel
      • Kim
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 30, 2006
          So basicly we should handle it the same way We do here at the fire department....

          I'm 1st responder to a 911 call, My basic job is to stabilize and treat to my ability, and if the emergency is beyond my training ....it is to call or wait for "higher care personell"

          why does it sound so much more complicated then that?

          Drake of Timberwolfe/Godwesel
        • Streonwold Wulfesbana (mka Steve Benetti)
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 30, 2006
            --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <viscountessk@...> wrote:

            > ::sighs:: because everyone insists on overanalyzing things.

            That's for sure.
            Even our triage is easy once you figure it out:

            a) Can I treat it here? (ie. walking wounded, can survive without
            treatment)
            b) Do I need help? (ie. life threatened, but salvageable)
            c) Is it beyond help? (self- evident)

            Anything requiring more than a band-aid is b) or c) and I don't really
            need to distinguish between b) and c) because, from my point of view I
            need 911 (or EMS) for both. Unless I have multiple casualties, in
            which case, I help b) first.
          • S. Rabinovitch
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 30, 2006
              Er..mostly due to USA lawsuit-happiness? <Grin>

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 3, 2006
                (late entering the converstation...)

                Why is it so difficult?

                dabernan@... wrote:
                I'm 1st responder to a 911 call, My basic job is to stabilize and treat to my ability, and if the emergency is beyond my training ....it is to call or wait for "higher care personell"

                why does it sound so much more complicated then that?

                Yahoo! 360°
                Your place online
                Blog & photos
                Biz Resources
                Articles, tools,
                forms, and more.
                Y! GeoCities
                Share your views
                with the world.
                .

                because
                1) not all first aid responders can control their "eagerness". A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing in the right person. Meaning that some folks think "I can handle it" regardless of whether or not they actually can.
                2) legal legal legal... especially States side.
                3) in an effort to feel vindication for the Chiurgeonate, I think people responded very emotionally, without respecting the privacy of both the persons they were serving (the public) and the persons involved (they deserve their privacy too). In the medical industry, privacy is a BIG issue. And unfortunately some folks took that as inappropriately withholding information.
                4) misunderstanding of responsibilities (which also speaks to point #1).... for example, the Chirugeons *can* do a BP... the question is, as a first aid responder, why do you need to? If the BP is too low, the person faints, if it's too high, there's nothing you can do about it anyways as a first responder and it requires medical intervention (which would only happen at very high BP, at that). But, a couple of the first aid responders I spoke to about it were offended that I should suggest that they not wear their stethoscope and/or not to a BP (besides, in a real emergency, you just need a periferal pulse check and that will tell you a systolic BP....a measurement may just be wasting time)
                5) and yes, there is/was lots of over analysis. It seemed very hard for folks to just let things go and get on with it... especially as they seemed to think that they couldn't "help out" as civilians. I was torn into by two of our American Chiurgeons about who covers the insurance on their CPR/FA card.

                anyways, I'm not trying to be inflammatory. I saw a lot of things which opened my eyes to the "life of litigation", and I saw how emotional people were (both in and outside of the chiurgeonate). I had my own concerns about some of the EMS stuff, but then I also had my own concerns about some of the Chirugeonate stuff.

                It's not the kind of environment that either group can handle independently, and when you have an organisation and an event such as this, (both of which are their own entity) that's why it's not so easy.

                my two cents
                Beth{o'}c

              • Streonwold Wulfesbana (mka Steve Benetti)
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
                  --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, "Bethoc \(Lesley\)" <bethoc12thc@...>
                  wrote:

                  > 3) in an effort to feel vindication for the Chiurgeonate, I think
                  people responded very emotionally, without respecting the privacy of
                  both the persons they were serving (the public) and the persons
                  involved (they deserve their privacy too). In the medical industry,
                  privacy is a BIG issue. And unfortunately some folks took that as
                  inappropriately withholding information.

                  People did respond very emotionally. They were hurt, felt threatened,
                  and kept, largely in the dark. For right or wrong, that's natural.
                  An earlier statement by the BOD, to the Chirurgeonate, outlining some
                  of the "problems" and detailing their direction forward would have
                  helped defuse this. The BOD could have even given details of the
                  "incidents" without violating any person's, cokmpany's, or
                  organization's privacy, or impinging upon anybody's civil rights.

                  An earlier release of information would have resulted in the
                  Chirurgeons discussing the realities of the situation, rather than the
                  emotionally charged suppositions.

                  > 4) misunderstanding of responsibilities (which also speaks to
                  point #1).... for example, the Chirugeons *can* do a BP... the
                  question is, as a first aid responder, why do you need to?

                  I agree. As a Ski Patroller of 18 years experience (including over
                  ten years as an instructor), I have never needed, nor taken a BP
                  reading. If I don't find a pulse anywhere distal to an injury - it's
                  a load and go. If I don't find a peripheral pulse - it's a load and
                  go. If I find an abnormal (ie. unexpected) rate, or strength, or an
                  unusual rhythm in any pulse - it's probably load and go. A BP cuff,
                  or a stethoscope won't help me decide.

                  Basically, any unusual circulatory function requires care that I can't
                  provide (ie. beyond blankets, O2, monitor, transport) and my patient
                  needs to go to the hospital, ASAP.
                • KIM MCAULEY
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006

                    You are very correct in all those assessments Streonwald. However, as a person who has to call 911 more than most, I can tell you that St. John does suggest that taking a full set of vitals is a good thing. Including BP. However, and this is in big red letters, you do this only when you have done everything else on the list of things to do and while still waiting for EMS to arrive, cause you called them right at the beginning. Taking vitals sure beats twiddling your thumbs?

                    In the case of BP, there are certain things that a *changing* blood pressure can tell EMS and the hospital. If you can, get the baseline vitals so they have more information to work with.

                    Curious? Google Cushing's Triad for more information. ::grins:: Who wants to do a report for the class on it?

                    Kaellyn

[...]

                  • Benetti,Sandy [Ontario]
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
                      Message
                      All good points, however as a first responder you still don't need the BP cuff. You can take a carotid pulse and a distal pulse. If you do them at the same time, they should both have the same rate and rhythm. If they don't there's a problem. If you can find one and not the other, there's a problem.  These are the 2 major pulse points most first aiders use.  Finding a podieital pulse is tricky and finding a femoral pulse is usually only done as a drastic measure.  Both carotid and distal pulse tell you a rough approximation of the systolic pulse.

                      So, taking vitals yes. Change in pulse or a difference between carotid and distal pulse for rate rhythm or strength tell you if your patient is stable, improving, deteriorating and are (along with pupil response and respiration rate, skin colour and condition and level of consciousness) are all things you can relay to EMS. They don't require a BP cuff or stethoscope. I'm with the ski patrol, I know this.

                      Seonag

                          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/E-Chir/

                          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/E-Chir/ join

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
                        You are also absolutely correct. We are also taught to do an initial pulse check at both the carotid and distal points and record the information, and also any changes if it is redone. And all those other things you discuss are also very very good information, most are a lot more important than a BP reading.

                        Inside joke, how do you tell a Standard first aider from an Advanced? The Advanced will automatically reach for the 2 pulse points together instead of just one ::grins::

                        However, we shouldn't dismiss the value of taking an initial blood pressure, if your training includes it and the situation permits it. Some first aid training includes it, some doesn't. SCA policy, last I heard, says that you may/should take it if you are trained. This is not to say that everyone should immediately run out and learn to use one. But if it is included in your training and you have the time, by all means do it.

                        Ok, be honest and don't Google... who can say the real name of a BP cuff? And spell it correctly?

                        Kaellyn

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
                          Been away, updating courses...

                          Well said Steve!

                          Molto Buono,

                          MariaKatharina/MaryCatharine

                          > 3) in an effort to feel vindication for the Chiurgeonate, I think
                          people responded very emotionally, without respecting the privacy of
                          both the persons they were serving (the public) and the persons
                          involved (they deserve their privacy too). In the medical industry,
                          privacy is a BIG issue. And unfortunately some folks took that as
                          inappropriately withholding information.

                          People did respond very emotionally. They were hurt, felt threatened,
                          and kept, largely in the dark. For right or wrong, that's natural.
                          An earlier statement by the BOD, to the Chirurgeonate, outlining some
                          of the "problems" and detailing their direction forward would have
                          helped defuse this. The BOD could have even given details of the
                          "incidents" without violating any person's, cokmpany's, or
                          organization' s privacy, or impinging upon anybody's civil rights.

                          An earlier release of information would have resulted in the
                          Chirurgeons discussing the realities of the situation, rather than the
                          emotionally charged suppositions.

                          > 4) misunderstanding of responsibilities (which also speaks to
                          point #1).... for example, the Chirugeons *can* do a BP... the
                          question is, as a first aid responder, why do you need to?

                          I agree. As a Ski Patroller of 18 years experience (including over
                          ten years as an instructor), I have never needed, nor taken a BP
                          reading. If I don't find a pulse anywhere distal to an injury - it's
                          a load and go. If I don't find a peripheral pulse - it's a load and
                          go. If I find an abnormal (ie. unexpected) rate, or strength, or an
                          unusual rhythm in any pulse - it's probably load and go. A BP cuff,
                          or a stethoscope won't help me decide.

                          Basically, any unusual circulatory function requires care that I can't
                          provide (ie. beyond blankets, O2, monitor, transport) and my patient
                          needs to go to the hospital, ASAP.

                          Click Here To Receive My New Creations In Your Inbox!
                          Letter Made: January 6, 2005
                          Font Used: Harrington
                          For Personal Use Only! No Copyright Infringement Intended
                        • James D Sena
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
                            Sphygmograph IIRC.

                              It's an interesting tool.  Probably on of the better uses is to appear to a loved one that you are doing something while you wait for EMS.  (Provided there isn't something better you SHOULD be doing of course!)  And as stated elsewhere, EMS doesn't mind usually having a baseline from before they got there.  At least the EMS teams I've dealt with!

                              Unfortunately taking blood pressures is becoming a lost art.  Too many places are taking BPs only with the automated roll around machines, and people are forgetting skills they knew.

                            My Kingdom Chirurgeon, Mir, has a kit I love.  It's like a modular system, all in one bag.  Just wish I could find it at an affordable price.

                            Lord Brendan ap Llewelyn

                            KIM MCAULEY wrote:
[...]

                            No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.428 / Virus Database: 268.15.6/566 - Release Date: 12/3/2006 4:36 PM

                          • Streonwold Wulfesbana (mka Steve Benetti)
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
                              --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, KIM MCAULEY <viscountessk@...> wrote:

                              > Ok, be honest and don't Google... who can say the real name of a BP
                              cuff? And spell it correctly?

                              sphygmomanometer

                              ... and the one I use on myself at home is digital, bulletproof, and
                              way more accurate than anybody needs.

                              But, in 18 years with the Patrol, I've never, ever been trained in the
                              use of a sphygmo, and probably never will. We consider it useful for
                              advanced diagnosis, which is beyond the scope of the care we provide.
                              Vitals are:
                              Airway (patent, partially obstructed, noisy, obstructed, etc)
                              Breathing (regular, irregular, ragged, etc.)
                              Pulse (2 locations present/absent, count, strength, condition, etc.)
                              Level of Consciousness (Glasgow scale)
                              Skin (colour, condition, temperature, etc.)
                              Pupil Response (equal/unequal dilation/response, etc.)

                              Changes in these co-indicate changes in BP (and other things).

                              Our training is directed at cold weather applications, where the
                              rubber of a cuff may become brittle, crack, be unreliable. The above
                              stuff is reliable no matter the temperature.
                            • S. Rabinovitch

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
                                  Really? Care to share the make and model?

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 4, 2006
                                    --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <viscountessk@...> wrote:

                                    > Really? Care to share the make and model?

                                    Sure, it's a LifeSource UA-704VL Manual model.

                                    It's small, cheap and only takes 1 AA battery.

                                    BP Accuracy is claimed to be plus or minus 3 mm Hg or 2% whichever is
                                    greater.
                                    Pulse Accuracy is claimed to be plus or minus 5%

                                    Drawback: can't be used in extreme cold/heat. It's operating range
                                    is 50F to 104F, <85% humidity

                                    It's from A & D Medical in Milpitas, California, but I bought it at
                                    Shoppers Drug Mart.
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                                      With the new modalities, we no longer teach the
                                      "lay person" to take a "pulse", anywhere, period...
                                      We are to only teaching/recerting EMS to "take pulses "...

                                      Have fun with this one,

                                      MaryCatharine
                                      ...."Of course he has a knife. He always has knives.
                                      We all have knives.  It's 1183 and we're all barbarians."

                                      Katharine Hepburn (1907 - 2003) As: Eleanor of  Aquitaine.
                                      The Lion in Winter. 1968

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                                        Message
                                        Who is "we" St. John's, Red Cross, someone else? Any one with CPR training gets taught how to take a pulse.  I don't know if it's mandatory, but at Pennsic they asked for copies of my CPR certs as well as my first aid ones.

                                        S.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                                          The new Heart and Stroke guidelines (which govern St. John's, Red Cross and all other first aid training providers) no longer teach pulse checks to the lay provider. In fact, there is no longer a check for signs of circulation of any type. If you have to breathe for a patient, then you immediately start CPR. These new standards came into effect in either September or October of this year.

                                          Xristina

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                                            Message
                                            Thanks for the update.  So, what about the first aid side (St. Johns and Red Cross) do they not teach that any more either?

                                            Seonag

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                                                 The further dumbing down of CPR.  We had that in my ARC CPR class when I renewed this year.  The given reason was "In an emergency most people can't remember how to check for a pulse, or even find their own".

                                                I disagree with it, and I won't stop checking for a pulse myself.  Then again my original training was not "lay person".  For the first 10 years I had a CPR card it was either "CPR for the Professional Rescuer" or "CPR for Health Care Providers".  It is a much more educational program than "Standard CPR with AED".

                                                And don't even get me started on the dumbing down of AEDs either.

                                              Lord Brendan ap Llewelyn

                                                Ninka wrote:
[...]

                                              No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.430 / Virus Database: 268.15.6/568 - Release Date: 12/4/2006 3:20 PM

                                            • Benetti,Sandy [Ontario]
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                                                Message
                                                Hey maybe we can go "medieval" on them and resort to leaches and maggots (noting that still are both used in modern medicine and that in some cases maggots work better and cleaning up a nasty wound than  a lot of modern antibiotics).

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                                                  While leeches and maggots are used - it must be remembered that maggots eat
                                                  dead flesh only - if infected - antibiotics are still used - I myself have
                                                  applied leeches and maggots to flesh in my work! Not really nice to do - but
                                                  it was cool in a clinical way - the leech story isnt really gross and i can
                                                  share if wanted but the maggot story is a little graphic - still willing to
                                                  share but email firect and i will save the group the grossness!! LOL
                                                  Giovanni Ferraius (aka John)

                                                  >From: "Benetti,Sandy [Ontario]" <sandy.benetti@...>
                                                  >To: <E-Chir@yahoogroups.com>
                                                  >Subject: RE: [E-Chir] Re: EMS and fist aid working together
                                                  >Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:18:31 -0500
                                                  >
                                                  >Hey maybe we can go "medieval" on them and resort to leaches and maggots
                                                  >(noting that still are both used in modern medicine and that in some
                                                  >cases maggots work better and cleaning up a nasty wound than a lot of
                                                  >modern antibiotics).
                                                  >
                                                  >Seonag :)

                                                  Download now! Visit http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/ to enter and see
                                                  how cool it is to get Messenger with you on your cell phone.
                                                  http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
                                                    That was the whole point...
                                                    The "we" IS everyone...

                                                    It is not the "new Heart and Stroke guidelines".

                                                    It is the new guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first aid were released recently by ILCOR, the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation, in 2006, who are  the body that reviews CPR and first aid every five years.

                                                    ( This is why everyone from Red Cross, to St. John's, and beyond update the modalities, every five years...)

                                                    The most important thing for Canadians to know right now is that the CPR they've been trained to perform is not “wrong.” The new guidelines reflect current scientific research and are a natural evolution of CPR since its introduction to the general public over 20 years ago.  The new recommended guidelines are focussed on simplifying CPR even further, making it even easier to learn.

                                                    I teach how to take the carotid, brachial pulse, radial pulse, and femoral pulses...
                                                    I do not have to, but I do.

                                                    I could show the Abdominal aorta,  (Very thin individuals may be able to note a slight pulsation beneath the stomach when lying down in a relaxed position. This pulsation is caused by the abdominal aorta, the continuation of the aorta from the heart. At the level of the umbilicus (belly button), the aorta splits into the left and right common iliac arteries which deliver blood to the legs.)
                                                    Or the Popliteal artery, (This artery lies behind the knee. Bend your knee slightly and feel in the soft area behind the knee.)

                                                    I do not normally teach this to lay people because it confuses them, especially if it their first time learning First-Aid & CPR/AED.  I have been instructing for 17 years.

                                                    Yours in health and safety,

                                                    MariaKatharina