Re: splints Re: [E-Chir] Scenario 5

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010

      From: Bethoc (Lesley) <bethoc12thc@...>
      To: E-Chir@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, January 23, 2010 9:09:45 AM
      Subject: splints Re: [E-Chir] Scenario 5

       >Also consider that although we do pay OHIP, there is a "top up" charge for the use of EMS. I think >that applies whether or not you transport but I'm not sure. I'll find out. I think it's about $90.

      Actually, if you are covered under OHIP the uncovered cost of EMS is $45 and that is only if we transport a patient. If we arrive on scene, treat and do not transport then there is no charge. If you are from another province or another country and you are not insured then you will be dinged with the full bill.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010
        Do you know if group insurance, such as a company provides, typically covers the EMS transport cost?

        Eyrny

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010
          Yes>smile
          If you have extended coverage, by all means,
          It does cover the fee.

          We are very fortunate here in Ontario.
          The cost of having an ambulance just show up to a call is
          Approximately $950.00 and up.
          I am thankful for the $45.00 fee and any extended coverage>smile.

          MariaKatharina

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010
            Okay, a little complexity here...

            Case 1)
            OHIP covered chirurgeon calls for a non-covered patient. Patient refuses ambulance. Is there a fee and who pays?

            Case 2)
            If I act as a Chirugeon at an event in the states. (Lets say not Pennsic which has EMT on site anyway). Visiting chirurgeon calls for EMT but patient refuses. Does the chirugeon get a bill?

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010
              I liked these reminders.
              > -keep fingertips visible for distal circulation check
              > -NO use of traction.. just spint as you find it. Traction cannot be properly maintained without the use of specialized and expensive equipment
              > -consider if this person is on blood thinners or has a bleeding disorder (internal bleeding may be more severe and/or serious sequelae)
              > -remove rings/watches if any on affected limb

              PS:
              for limb splints the SCA has a habit of being heavily stocked in 3ft long, 1 1/4" rattan....

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010
                The only thing I don't like about rattan being an arm splint is the narrow width. Ideally even an improvised one should be wider than the limb.. and considering some of the sizes of our fighters (muscled up and molson muscle both) a rattan sword may not be sufficient. Now, for lower limbs, with one secured to either side of the length of the leg (groin to beyond the foot) that's another matter altogether.

                regards
                Bethóc

                ps and thanks for the prompt clearing up of OHIP/EMS surcharges! I don't work until later in the week and wouldn't have an answer for the group until then.

                Per saltire purpure and gules, a sea-unicorn argent within a bordure per saltire Or and argent

                Golden Otter Pursuivant, Kingdom of Ealdormere
                Pursuivant, Canton of Vest Yorvik, the High Seat of Septentria

                Ut sit magna, tamen certe lenta ira deorum est
                The wrath of the gods may be great, but it certainly is slow
                what does {o'} mean? See Da'ud notation: http://www.sca.org.au/herald/commentary/Da'ud%20Notation.htm

                solis sacerdotibus. Ave atque vale.

                > -keep fingertips visible for distal circulation check
                > -NO use of traction.. just spint as you find it. Traction cannot be properly maintained without the use of specialized and expensive equipment
                > -consider if this person is on blood thinners or has a bleeding disorder (internal bleeding may be more severe and/or serious sequelae)
                > -remove rings/watches if any on affected limb

                PS:
                for limb splints the SCA has a habit of being heavily stocked in 3ft long, 1 1/4" rattan....

              • dyscordant_rose
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
                  --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, "b1laxson" <b1laxson@...> wrote:

                  > Case 1) OHIP covered chirurgeon calls for a non-covered patient.
                  > Patient refuses ambulance. Is there a fee and who pays?

                  It does not matter if the person who calls 911 is OHIP covered, covered by other insurance or completely uninsured, you will not get charged a bill for calling 911. The ambulance fees only go to the patient and only if there is a transport.

                  > Case 2) If I act as a Chirugeon at an event in the states. (Lets say > not Pennsic which has EMT on site anyway). Visiting chirurgeon calls > for EMT but patient refuses. Does the chirugeon get a bill?

                  AFAIK, the person calling 911 will not get charged a bill for making the phone call. How the rest of the ambulance billing works however, I don't know and I suspect would be state specific, just as ambulance billing in Canada is different between provinces.