splints Re: [E-Chir] Scenario 5

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010
      That's the best part about improvisational first aid - you don't need to be good with commercial splints!

      For long limbs, pick something that won't bend, is wider than the limb and is long enough to stabilize the joint above and below the injury.

      In this case, for a forearm, you could use a piece of wood (the lid of a feast gear box for example), thick carboard (cut up a cardboard box used to carry in food items for the kitchen and make a dual layer so it won't bend), or a hardbacked book (of the larger coffee table variety). Alternatively, just splint the arm to the body by wrapping the person's arm, elevated, against their torso with fabric. Triangular material is great for both creatings slings and longer rectangular shaped wraps to tie stuff up.

      For toes and fingers, "buddy tape" the injured finger to the adjacent non-injured one in the absence of a splint.

      An ambulance is not necessarily warrented for this kind of injury, although they do carry the commercial splints on board, it is unlikely that they will encourage EMS transportation to the hospital.

      Also consider that although we do pay OHIP, there is a "top up" charge for the use of EMS. I think that applies whether or not you transport but I'm not sure. I'll find out. I think it's about $90. A taxi would be cheaper. It's likely a full charge for out of province participants (we used an ambulance for my son in Nova Scotia and got dinged for $600).

      with regards
      Bethóc

      who is all for improvisational first aid as long as it works (you should see some of the stuff I've seen..Oi!)

      Per saltire purpure and gules, a sea-unicorn argent within a bordure per saltire Or and argent

      Golden Otter Pursuivant, Kingdom of Ealdormere
      Pursuivant, Canton of Vest Yorvik, the High Seat of Septentria

      Ut sit magna, tamen certe lenta ira deorum est
      The wrath of the gods may be great, but it certainly is slow
      what does {o'} mean? See Da'ud notation: http://www.sca.org.au/herald/commentary/Da'ud%20Notation.htm

      solis sacerdotibus. Ave atque vale.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010
          Do you know if group insurance, such as a company provides, typically covers the EMS transport cost?

          Eyrny

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010
            Yes>smile
            If you have extended coverage, by all means,
            It does cover the fee.

            We are very fortunate here in Ontario.
            The cost of having an ambulance just show up to a call is
            Approximately $950.00 and up.
            I am thankful for the $45.00 fee and any extended coverage>smile.

            MariaKatharina

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010
              Okay, a little complexity here...

              Case 1)
              OHIP covered chirurgeon calls for a non-covered patient. Patient refuses ambulance. Is there a fee and who pays?

              Case 2)
              If I act as a Chirugeon at an event in the states. (Lets say not Pennsic which has EMT on site anyway). Visiting chirurgeon calls for EMT but patient refuses. Does the chirugeon get a bill?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010
                I liked these reminders.
                > -keep fingertips visible for distal circulation check
                > -NO use of traction.. just spint as you find it. Traction cannot be properly maintained without the use of specialized and expensive equipment
                > -consider if this person is on blood thinners or has a bleeding disorder (internal bleeding may be more severe and/or serious sequelae)
                > -remove rings/watches if any on affected limb

                PS:
                for limb splints the SCA has a habit of being heavily stocked in 3ft long, 1 1/4" rattan....

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 23, 2010
                  The only thing I don't like about rattan being an arm splint is the narrow width. Ideally even an improvised one should be wider than the limb.. and considering some of the sizes of our fighters (muscled up and molson muscle both) a rattan sword may not be sufficient. Now, for lower limbs, with one secured to either side of the length of the leg (groin to beyond the foot) that's another matter altogether.

                  regards
                  Bethóc

                  ps and thanks for the prompt clearing up of OHIP/EMS surcharges! I don't work until later in the week and wouldn't have an answer for the group until then.

                  Per saltire purpure and gules, a sea-unicorn argent within a bordure per saltire Or and argent

                  Golden Otter Pursuivant, Kingdom of Ealdormere
                  Pursuivant, Canton of Vest Yorvik, the High Seat of Septentria

                  Ut sit magna, tamen certe lenta ira deorum est
                  The wrath of the gods may be great, but it certainly is slow
                  what does {o'} mean? See Da'ud notation: http://www.sca.org.au/herald/commentary/Da'ud%20Notation.htm

                  solis sacerdotibus. Ave atque vale.

                  > -keep fingertips visible for distal circulation check
                  > -NO use of traction.. just spint as you find it. Traction cannot be properly maintained without the use of specialized and expensive equipment
                  > -consider if this person is on blood thinners or has a bleeding disorder (internal bleeding may be more severe and/or serious sequelae)
                  > -remove rings/watches if any on affected limb

                  PS:
                  for limb splints the SCA has a habit of being heavily stocked in 3ft long, 1 1/4" rattan....

                • dyscordant_rose
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
                    --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, "b1laxson" <b1laxson@...> wrote:

                    > Case 1) OHIP covered chirurgeon calls for a non-covered patient.
                    > Patient refuses ambulance. Is there a fee and who pays?

                    It does not matter if the person who calls 911 is OHIP covered, covered by other insurance or completely uninsured, you will not get charged a bill for calling 911. The ambulance fees only go to the patient and only if there is a transport.

                    > Case 2) If I act as a Chirugeon at an event in the states. (Lets say > not Pennsic which has EMT on site anyway). Visiting chirurgeon calls > for EMT but patient refuses. Does the chirugeon get a bill?

                    AFAIK, the person calling 911 will not get charged a bill for making the phone call. How the rest of the ambulance billing works however, I don't know and I suspect would be state specific, just as ambulance billing in Canada is different between provinces.