scenario 3 wrap-up

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2009
      Greetings everyone,

      Some good discussions came from that scenario. One of which was the discussion on light use. The dark does make it a lot harder to assess someone and thier injuries. It is definitely a good idea to have a good light source and then get someone to hold it for you. Trying to assess first degree burns in the red/orange/yellow light of a flickering fire can definitely be an exercise of frustration and futility. :D

      Good call on ensuring that the airway was clear. It can be easy to get distracted to the obvious but also minor injuries that were presented but we all need to remember that a quick flash fire has the potential to compromise the airway (though not in this scenario). Check for facial burns, complaints of breathing difficulties, chest/throat tightness or a raspy voice as some ways to see if the person inhaled anything.

      Another good discussion arose from the hazard the fire itself presented and the other potential problems that could have happened in this scenario. I would probably designate someone else to check the camp though while I continued to assess/treat the injured person.

      Just as a quick question...what was another potential hazard in this scenario? It is alluded to in the initial description.

      It is always a good idea to keep in mind what is or is not a 911 call. That decision has a significant number of factors involved including the mechanism of injury, the presentation of the injured party, what you think the problem may be or even how confident/comfortable you are about your skills and/or ability to handle the situation. Keep in mind if you do call 911 then I am required to be notified preferably immediately but definitely within 24hrs. I would prefer a phone call for that with a follow-up report via email.

      Would anyone have called the autocrat?