scenario 3 - add-on/injury description

  • dyscordant_rose
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2009
      (Sorry guys, my sick-addled brain forgot to put the injury info in the scenario description).

      Assessment of the patient injuries reveals the following;

      He is complaining of moderate pain in his right hand, visual inspection reveals redness and some mild swelling to the palm with a couple of small blisters forming on the tips of two fingers.

      He is also complaining of some pain to his left ankle though he is able to move it. At this point there does not appear to be any bruising or swelling.

      (Hope this helps. BTW, great question in regards to lighting).

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2009
        I`d like to know whether or not any of that flash fire caused facial burns which, depending on the severity and degree of swelling to the nose and mouth +/- smoke or fume inhalation (depending upon the accelerant) could be a more serious problem than a second degree burn to the hand (although the palm is considered a higher degree of importance even with first degree burns). Additionally, if the accelerant was petroleum based rather than alcohol, this becomes a biohazard situation with the petroleum being the hazard (fumes and liquid on the skin and inhaled).

        of course I always read more into scenarios than actually appears on paper so sorry if I`m making things more complicated than need be.

        In the dim lighting, I`d use other signs of the person`s presentation and assume shock is present. Skin colour is helpful, yes, but it`s one of those things that can be very misleading. I`ve seen men with perfect skin colour who are having a heart attack right in front of me. Their pain and anxiousness was more indicitive of a serious situation. I agree with Kaellyn, look for pulses and other signs of circulation, mentation and just presume some degree of shock (especially in the dark).

        Bethóc

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2009
          Excellent question and a definite needed assessment. In this case there are no signs of facial burns or airway compromise. The only injuries found are the burns on the hand and the left ankle.

          From what you can find from the other party-goers the accelerant was alcohol based.

          Xristina
          (who is enjoying all the discussion and good questions/information coming from this scenario). :)