Reccomendation, Inventory Check

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2009
      Just want to recommend fellow chirugeons to actually take this
      relative inactive time in the SCA to do an inventory check of your
      first aid supplies.

      My own was prompted by the question in the situation trainer on what
      should be in your first aid kit.

      Rather humerous find in my own kit is that between the different
      carrying bags there was about 60-100 bandages (mostly standard boo boo
      kissers) yet about 4 antiseptic wipes. Apparently all cuts where to
      come to me already cleaned!

      Even if your stocks are good it is useful to remind yourself of where
      they are.

      Brian Goodheart, Green Guy
    • tudorpot@gmail.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 25, 2009
          Below is a detailed list of the stores I keep. It is based not
          around a box but on 3 carriers. When merrily enjoying an event I
          wear just #1. The other two are if I where to become an aid station
          or a wandering aid station.

          This is a larger stock then when just looking after yourself.

          A minimum list of first aid supplies could be something like:
          = bandages (standard band aids)
          = antiseptic wipes
          = CPR mask
          = gloves (vinyl gloves to keep you clean)
          = a tension/tensor bandage (joint injuries are common)

          Im sure the Kingdom chirugeon has numerous samples. As in order to
          do my inventory check I did write things down it makes it easy to
          present it as an example... and possible for discussion ^_^

          Oddly... I have not been able to find the simple CPR masks. Those
          pocket kits with gloves as well would be good. Im serious... Ive
          been to a half dozen pharmacies, a home medical store, a safety
          store and a few Canadian Tires. >I cant find them.< Only the $30
          hard plastic ones which are to bulky for my "carrier" concept.

          First Aid Inventory

          Jan2009

          Carrier #1 = Chirugeon Belt Favor
          Purpose: Always available
          Needed
          = CPR Mask

          Inside:
          = Gloves
          = Bandages
          = 6 standard
          = a few shaped bandages
          = 1 of sterile gauze pad (for initial treatment of a large bleeder)
          = small antiseptic wipes est 20
          = 1 of tension bandage (for common joint issues, a bit bulky with
          this debating removing)
          =end Carrier #1 list

          Carrier #2 = Green Fanny Pack
          Purpose: Mobile aid supply, primary source for supplies.

          Needed:
          = CPR mask

          Inside:
          = 1 small bottle of Tylenol
          = 12 of Steripads
          = 3 of shaped joint tensors (knee or elbow)
          = 1 of folding splint
          = 1 of finger splint
          = 1 of cloth tape roll
          = 1 of gauze bandage 4" x 15'
          = 1 tube of polysporin "Complete"
          = cotton, nonsterile
          = 1 sealable sandwhich bags
          = 1 of grocery plastic bag (for waste disposal)
          = 2 pens (tested ok)
          = antiseptic wipes small est 80
          = 15 of antibacterial wipes 15x19cm
          = 5 of 4 in x 4 in sterile gauze
          = 1 pair vinyl gloves
          = Bandages as
          = 8 shaped bandages (finger etc)
          = 20 approx standard bandages
          = 2 of triangular bandages
          = 2 of tension bandage rolls
          = Paperwork as
          = 4 of incident reports
          = 1 of event report
          = 3 of CIT eval forms
          = blank paper
          = Tools as
          = 1 of snips
          = 1 of tweesers
          = 1 of forceps
          = 6 approx safety pins
          =Articles/Guidelines
          = Booklet: Emergency First Aid
          = article: "OTC Meds in the SCA"
          = article: Hydration? (title missing)
          =end Carrier #2 list

          Carrier #3= Green shoulder bag
          Purpose: Exetended activities and resupply of other carriers

          Needs
          = CPR Mask
          = antiseptic wipes, small

          Contains:
          = 6 Vinyl gloves
          = 15 antibacterial wipes 15x19xm
          = 1 tube of sun tan lotion (mostly so I dont forget it for myself)
          = 1 of emergency blanket
          = 5 of chemical cold packs
          = 20 of 4x4in sterile gauze
          = antiseptic wipes small est 100
          = Bandages as:
          = 1 of tension bandage roll
          = 10 approx standard
          = 2 ft of fabric bandage roll
          = Printed material as
          = First Aid Manual (Heartsafe 2005)
          = 1 of Notebook (halfsize, 200 pages)
          = Plastic First Aid Kit containing
          = 2 shoe laces
          = 1 roll medical tape "transpore"
          = 1 tube of first aid cream "certimide"
          = 90 approx waterproof matches
          = 12 approx sting relief pads
          = 5 approx antiseptic towlette
          = 6 approx wetnaps
          = 60ml antiseptic wash
          = 1 pair of gloves
          = 2 of traingular bandage
          = 20 approx bandages standard
          = 1 of small roll of gauze
          = 4 of 3x3in sterile gauze
          = 1 of pocket first aid guide
          =end Carrier #3 list
        • tudorpot@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 25, 2009
            Request for clarification, are these alcohol swabs?

            Freda

            On Jan 25, 2009, at 2:00 PM, b1laxson wrote:

            = antiseptic wipes

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
              Yes the Alcohol wipes... well thats the main type now that I found a
              box of 200 at a drug store (Note: found in the diabetec supply section
              NOT the first aid section). These are a small wipe that is about the
              the size of a pair of salt packets from a fast food store... or about
              the size of loonie.

              There are different variations on the antiseptic wipes. While alchohol
              is the most common there are some medicated ones for sting relief as
              well.

              The are also now in my kit larger wipes which are baby wipes.
              Specifically one listed as disinfecting. I had trouble finding the
              small wipes so got these large ones before getting the pack of 200.

              Brian the Green

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
                --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, "b1laxson" <b1laxson@...> wrote:
                > A minimum list of first aid supplies could be something like:
                > = bandages (standard band aids)
                > = antiseptic wipes
                > = CPR mask
                > = gloves (vinyl gloves to keep you clean)
                > = a tension/tensor bandage (joint injuries are common)
                <add> = sterile gauzz pad (4x4)

                Forgot to mention Id recommend at least one sterile gauze pad (3x3
                or 4x4. I believe our Kingdom Chirurgeon recommended 4x4).

                Its purpose would be for immediate action on bad or large bleeding.
                With at least one in place for the blood to clot around you gain
                some time to obtain more first aid supplies. Preferably by sending
                someone to get them for you.

                Reminder the above is a recommendation (only) for a very small thus
                easily carried set.

                Brian the Green
              • tudorpot@gmail.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
                    I've had people specifically request the alcohol wipes (in one case, iodine).
                    Anyone else having problems finding a suitable saline solution to carry with them? The only one I found is a glass container, so I keep a few alcohol wipes in case I'm in an area without water and don't have my larger kit with me.
                    Medb