Re: [E-Chir] Re: Scenario One - action plans and ready sheets

  • Keith Crawley
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
      I think something like this is a good idea and as mentioned if it does not effect Kingdom policy as such can be done without any fanfare or concern. Some kind of ready lists and or cards would be awesome and perhaps more work on a Kingdom level keeping each other and event/kingdom staff informed of our presence at events would help as well. Other than people I k now by site as qualified Chirurgeons many times at events I never know or see any presence made known.

      Locating first aid gear were folks can find it is something I always do and encourage within my own encampment and among the folks I camp with. Putting emergency gear in a universal location goes back to my days with Scouts Canada. We had rules that each sleeping tent have a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, flash light and list of the tents occupants and their emergency needs if any (Medic alert type info). This rule varied some across the various groups and districts but basically everyone had to have some form of first aid kit in each tent. The groups I worked with went a step further and made the placement of such gear universal as well. Inside the front door/flap and immediately on the right.

      This way any one who needed a first aid kit or other emergency gear could enter any of our groups sleeping tents in the dark and reach for and find what they wanted within a few feet of the main door. Larger group kits, specialized kits and such were also located in kitchen areas and near fire pits or other hazards. I know it doesn't work that well in some of our period tents or the way people lay out their tent to have a modern ugly first aid kit/other emergency gear right inside the door but at least some variation on this theme may help if you ever need a kit in a hurry.

      Percival
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
        I was never a scout but at Pennsic my kit is always in my tent by the door on the right. It is a good system. :)

        Xristina

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 10, 2009
          > Does anyone have any ideas of how and when, we as chirugeon's
          should
          > put such an action plan in place? An action plan being defined as

          Borrowing from my current Security work every guard in my staff may
          be the one alone in the emergency. So I quiz them without warning on
          the matter.

          The content of what-to-do needs to be available without notice...
          becuase the emergencies happen without notice.

          At the very least we should get in the habit of having troll or the
          bar (common reference points) having print out of the action plan
          available. I feel this would include:
          = at least one chirugeon present/expected
          = who-has/where-is a phone,
          = contact info for the Autocrat
          = contact info for the Kingdom Chirugeon (24 hours of a medical
          emergency)
          = directions >TO< the site (needed for 911 calls)

          debating on:
          = directions to the nearest hospital,
          (which you can probably get from the 911 or find out from the
          ambulance which one they happen to be going to.. which isnt always
          the nearest one)

          For the SCA, crowd control is a common activity for us... we
          configure halls, we martial fighting, we martial archery, we
          organize dancing... we have internal ranks of
          Laurel/Pelican/Knights... and even a King that might be there to get
          the crowd control done.

          This print out could be made up as a form and a recommended item for
          the event autocrats.