Re: [E-Chir] Re: Scenario One

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 6, 2009
      Perhaps it would be a good start to develop a "ready" sheet for autocrats. It could list things like the exact street address of the site and phone number, locations of landlines, location of AED (if there is one on site), doors that an ambulance could access.

      Then it could be collected by the chirurgeon in charge or even multiples so that we all have the information.

      Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 3:53 PM
      Subject: Re: [E-Chir] Re: Scenario One

      On the subject of a Kingdom Plan, Way back in the days of Aisilines tenure as Kingdom Chirurgeon I was fairly new to the SCA but because of my professional as well as voluntary experiences (9-1-1 dispatcher, Red Cross Emergency Services Manager {sat on the committee that developed Halton Regions Emergency Response Plan}, Scouts Canada Emergency Services Provider) was very loosely involved as a chirurgeon. During this time Aisiline attended an SCA gathering (not sure if it was a Known World Chirurgeons meeting or something else) and out of this came ideas for Emergency Response planning for major events. While the details escape me at this time I do recall that all major War Events and several Kingdoms had them, were working on them or at least had looked into it. Aisiline asked me to have input into an Emergency plan for Ealdormere and particularly our larger camping type events. Once this plan was put together Aisiline presented it to the Privy Council of the day. Once again I do not know what the exact wording of their response was but the way it came down to us in common language was the Kingdom was not interested and their reasoning were based upon Plausible Deniability. They basically said, if we have an official or formal plan and it fails in some way we (Ealdormere or the SCA) could be held liable, however if there is no plan and we do what we are trained to do under standard first aid training protocols etc. the Kingdom cant be held liable for our failings.

      I don't know if Aisiline still has any of the info or plans we worked on at the time but perhaps a re thinking of this issue and a better job of selling it to Privy Council may be due? I realize this was a "major emergency" type plan but perhaps incorporating smaller response planning as mentioned (3 people plan as mentioned etc.) into such an over all plan may work?

      Percival

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 6, 2009
        A good suggestion--I made a similar one last year after attending an event and no one being able to tell me where the nearest hospital was. Other info - local pharmacy-location and hours, dental emergency clinic, and perhaps local veterinarian for our companions.

        Freda

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
          At 10:10 PM 1/6/2009, you wrote:
          Perhaps it would be a good start to develop a "ready" sheet for autocrats. It could list things like the exact street address of the site and phone number, locations of landlines, location of AED (if there is one on site), doors that an ambulance could access.

          Then it could be collected by the chirurgeon in charge or even multiples so that we all have the information.

          And a copy left at the troll for anyone else who needed the info.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
            --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, Jackie Wyatt <jkwyatt@...> wrote:

            > "Maybe it's time to come up with a structured action plan >
            for Ealdormere events?

            I have to admit when I asked the 'action plan' question I was not
            thinking anywhere near trying to make policy changes for the Kingdom.

            What I was trying to do was get people to think about how you need to
            respond if an incident is something that warrants EMS intervention. If
            you are the CIC of an event (big or small) then I think its a good
            idea to have formed your action plan before you even get there.

            For example; part of my own action plan at events is that I keep my
            kit at Gate and I let the gatekeeper know its there. This way if I
            need to send someone running for it, it is very easy to find because
            everyone knows where gate is. I have done this before when I've needed
            to treat someone. I also always carry my own cell phone with me. It is
            usually off or on silent but I have it. This way I can ensure a 911
            call will be made easily - either by myself or by someone that I
            designate to make the call. No one needs to search for a phone. I have
            people at events that I know I can count on to assist me if the
            situation becomes serious. I have talked to them ahead of time. These
            are the people who will help control my scene, that I know I can send
            to direct the ambulance, that will make the 911 call, etc. This is set
            up before I even get to the event. And again, will make my job just
            that much easier if its necessary. These are just a few examples of
            little things that can be done to make a situation that much easier to
            deal with. Not policy. Just individual pre-planning.

            The 'ready sheets' that people are talking about is one of the things
            that I wanted to make happen as Kingdom Chirugeon. I am thrilled that
            everyone seems to have such a positive response to this. Having
            something at gate, with the autocrat and with working chirugeons is a
            great idea. I know that we have a couple of 911 dispatchers on this
            list (Percival? Fursto?) who will be able to help give us some
            definitive insight into what should be on those sheets because they'll
            be able to tell us what information the 911 call-taker will
            immediately require. If they could contact me off-list that would be
            great.

          • Keith Crawley
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
              I think something like this is a good idea and as mentioned if it does not effect Kingdom policy as such can be done without any fanfare or concern. Some kind of ready lists and or cards would be awesome and perhaps more work on a Kingdom level keeping each other and event/kingdom staff informed of our presence at events would help as well. Other than people I k now by site as qualified Chirurgeons many times at events I never know or see any presence made known.

              Locating first aid gear were folks can find it is something I always do and encourage within my own encampment and among the folks I camp with. Putting emergency gear in a universal location goes back to my days with Scouts Canada. We had rules that each sleeping tent have a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, flash light and list of the tents occupants and their emergency needs if any (Medic alert type info). This rule varied some across the various groups and districts but basically everyone had to have some form of first aid kit in each tent. The groups I worked with went a step further and made the placement of such gear universal as well. Inside the front door/flap and immediately on the right.

              This way any one who needed a first aid kit or other emergency gear could enter any of our groups sleeping tents in the dark and reach for and find what they wanted within a few feet of the main door. Larger group kits, specialized kits and such were also located in kitchen areas and near fire pits or other hazards. I know it doesn't work that well in some of our period tents or the way people lay out their tent to have a modern ugly first aid kit/other emergency gear right inside the door but at least some variation on this theme may help if you ever need a kit in a hurry.

              Percival

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
                I was never a scout but at Pennsic my kit is always in my tent by the door on the right. It is a good system. :)

                Xristina

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 10, 2009
                  > Does anyone have any ideas of how and when, we as chirugeon's
                  should
                  > put such an action plan in place? An action plan being defined as

                  Borrowing from my current Security work every guard in my staff may
                  be the one alone in the emergency. So I quiz them without warning on
                  the matter.

                  The content of what-to-do needs to be available without notice...
                  becuase the emergencies happen without notice.

                  At the very least we should get in the habit of having troll or the
                  bar (common reference points) having print out of the action plan
                  available. I feel this would include:
                  = at least one chirugeon present/expected
                  = who-has/where-is a phone,
                  = contact info for the Autocrat
                  = contact info for the Kingdom Chirugeon (24 hours of a medical
                  emergency)
                  = directions >TO< the site (needed for 911 calls)

                  debating on:
                  = directions to the nearest hospital,
                  (which you can probably get from the 911 or find out from the
                  ambulance which one they happen to be going to.. which isnt always
                  the nearest one)

                  For the SCA, crowd control is a common activity for us... we
                  configure halls, we martial fighting, we martial archery, we
                  organize dancing... we have internal ranks of
                  Laurel/Pelican/Knights... and even a King that might be there to get
                  the crowd control done.

                  This print out could be made up as a form and a recommended item for
                  the event autocrats.