From your new Kingdom Chirugeon

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2008
      Greetings everyone from your new Kingdom Chirugeon,

      First off, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Dame Tsivia for all her work these last three years. It was under her guidance that the chirugeonate ranks have grown to the numbers that they have and I am sure that I am shortly going to realize just how much effort she has put into this office. Wassail Tsivia and enjoy your time off.

      I know that there are those who do not know me so I thought I would take a bit of time to introduce myself and give you some information on my background. I have been involved in the SCA for 18 years and though I started in Castel Rouge (Manitoba), the majority of my SCA experience comes from Ealdormere. During my time in the SCA I have held many different offices and have learned from each of them. I am sure there is more I am going to learn from taking on this one.

      Outside the SCA, I have been a paramedic for over 10 years. As well, I teach part-time with the paramedic program at the college level and I have been teaching first aid courses for a number of years. While my work as a paramedic is going to have some obvious applications within the chirugeonate it is the teaching aspect of my experience that I most hope to utilize within this new role.

      Education is one of the best tools that anyone has to help deal with situations. It is a tool that I personally strongly believe in and know that everyone benefits from. While I understand that the Kingdom chirugeon's role has very strong administrative aspects to it I hope to bring an element to education to it. There are a couple of ways that I am hoping to accomplish this.

      Dame Tsivia had started the chirugeon's picnics at War of the Trillium and included guest speakers. I thought that this was a fantastic idea and am hoping to build upon it. More about this will be forthcoming as it gets developed.

      Another tool that I am hoping to use will be scenario discussions on the ealdormere chirugeons yahoo group. What this involves is a posted scenario to the list with some questions (and no, this is not a test) which can then be answered either individually or on the list. My goal is to stimulate discussion about actual scenarios seen within the SCA as I find that discussion between peers is one of the best ways to learn. The scenarios will be based on real-life events, preferably ones that I've managed to dig-up through old event reports. This way they will have direct application to our organization. These will not be starting until January as I need some time to review the old reports and develop the program. If anyone has any questions about this, please feel free to contact me and I will do my best to answer.

      And finally, as a reminder, all your event reports need to come directly to me and if, at any time, EMS has been called to an event then I need to be contacted within 24hrs of the event. This is SCA policy. My contact information is at the end of this letter.

      If anyone has any comments or questions for me, please do not hesitate to contact me. For the most part I prefer email communication and I aim to reply to all emails within 48 hours. I am usually fairly successful at that goal. If you need information faster than that then please do not hesitate to call me.

      In service,
      Baroness Xristina Viaceslavova
      Kingdom Chirugeon

      613-572-1372 (cell; call or text)

       A reason people like dogs is because they wag their tails, not their tongues.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2008
        Ninka wrote:
        > First off, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Dame Tsivia for
        > all her work these last three years. It was under her guidance that the
        > chirugeonate ranks have grown to the numbers that they have and I am sure
        > that I am shortly going to realize just how much effort she has put into
        > this office. Wassail Tsivia and enjoy your time off.

        Thank you. It has truly been a joy to work with all of you for the last 3
        years. I will savour my "time off" and anticipate that I will find yet
        more things for me to work on w/in the SCA as well as outside of the
        organization.

        Congratulations to Xristina for taking over the job and also thanks to the
        other 3 chirurgeons who applied. It was NOT an easy decision for the Privy
        Council to make.

        And now: onto kissing boo-boos!
        TSivia
        (just plain ole Mentor now)

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2008
          --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, Ninka <dyscordant_rose@...> wrote:

          > Greetings everyone from your new Kingdom Chirugeon,
          <snip>
          > In service,
          > Baroness Xristina Viaceslavova
          > Kingdom Chirugeon

          Congratulations, huzzah, wassail and assorted other cheers.

          If I have my names-in-emails matching my stick-jock-hit-in-head
          memory you would be lady who ran the first aid course for a
          gathering of Chirugeons in Kingston this summer?

          Its that or your the lady Chirugeon who watched over me the time I
          had a concussion.

          Brian the Green
          He whos "practical" experience is more on the patient side
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2008
            --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, "b1laxson" <b1laxson@...> wrote:

            > Congratulations, huzzah, wassail and assorted other cheers.

            Thank you.

            > If I have my names-in-emails matching my stick-jock-hit-in-head
            > memory you would be lady who ran the first aid course for a
            > gathering of Chirugeons in Kingston this summer?

            That would be me. :)