Re: [E-Chir] Re: 911 calls and chirurgeons

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2008
      At this point I'm leaving this to Xristina. I believe my phone # had been
      on the TIDINGS listing for the Kingdom Chirurgeon...

      TSivia (ALMOST gone..)

    • dabernan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2008
        hey all,

        Not always the case.......

        I respond in a rural area.....and even in town......Epi-pens don't always work the way they should (hands on knowledge).

        We don't have them in our response bags,, even though we have 3 campgrounds and 1 golf course in our response area.

        Drake of Timberwolfe/Godwiesel
        Volunteer Firefighter Grand Valley

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 22, 2008
          Having checked at work (I dispatch for Halton Police and we are central answer for Halton 911) Paramedics carry Epinephrine (SP?) the stuff that's in an epi pen in a liquid injectable form. However even in Halton we have some rural areas that are on the outside of 15 minutes from the nearest EMS base in good weather and no traffic. Just as an FYI the site used most recently for Fruits of Our Labours and Murder Melee is in Halton and about 10 minutes from the closest EMS base and nearer to 20 to 25 from the closest Hospital. Add a few minutes to that for the people on site to actually call 911 and pass the info on etc. and there is your 20 minute window shot and that's only if an EMS unit is at the base and available for the call.

          However I would still rather have 911 called and EMS on its way than try to rely on a nervous/excited unfamiliar with the area unskilled in emergency driving techniques person racing through the streets in a passenger car unable to assist me in any way while enroute trying to get me to a hospital. Not to mention that at many SCA camping events depending on the time of day or night you may be hard pressed to find a licensed driver willing to do this that was either awake and ready to go or sober enough for the chore in the limited time frame available.

          Percival

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/E-Chir/ join

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 24, 2008
            Hi,

            "We don't have them in our response bags"
            "We don't have them in our response bags"

            This is because you are not allowed to, by law.
            You are unauthorized, to carry any medications.
             It has nothing to do with whether they work or not but is a matter of training and certification.
             You still need a script to obtain an epi-pen which still makes its administration a controlled medical act. To my knowledge none of the fire departments are signed off by a base hospital to do this. (In Dufferin County)
             If a patient has their own medication, prescribed to them, a fire fighter might help them administer it.

            Our Paramedics in Dufferin County are authorized to carry them.
            Dufferin County has Peel Region there are two levels of Paramedic; Primary Care and Advanced Care.

            Primary Care Paramedics attend school for two years to become certified, they are trained to perform defibrillation, and are authorized to administer 6 symptom relief medications. Primary Care Paramedics are the standard in Ontario, and make up the majority of Paramedic teams in the province.

            Advanced Care Paramedics attend an additional year of school, carry a larger assortment of medications and can perform more procedures. These additional procedures include IV starts, intubation and other advanced airway procedures.
            (We are attached to a Base Hospital here.)

            They try to always pair up a P1 with a P2 here, in Dufferin County and in Peel.

            "......Epi-pens don't always work the way they should (hands on knowledge)."

            This part is sad, and I am truly sorry if it happened, but it should not always be the case...

            Epinephrine has a short "shelf life" of approximately one year.
            If you carry an "Epi-Pen Sr. Or Epi-Pen Jr. ,(0.3 and 0.15 mg epinephrine),
            Please check the exp.  Date on the side of the barrel.

            (we are all human :) and don't always "check the expiration dates:)
            If the epinephrine becomes "cloudy" or turns a yellowish or brown co lour, do not use it.
            (take it back to the pharmacy from where it came to be disposed of properly.)

            There is also the Twinject, auto-injector that provides 2 doses of epinephrine in 1 device.
             (Unfortunately, many people with severe food allergies may need more than one dose of epinephrine if they accidentally eat the food to which they're allergic.)
            (no finger pointing or harsh feelings in this please :D, just clarifying.  Hope it helps.)

            MariaKatharina/MaryCatharine