Please , no grip...

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
       I first must apologize as I am in a rush today and tend to fly,
       By the seat of my pants...

      May I ask one small favour of one and all...?

      Please, in future, may I suggest we not "relay the patients name".
      It is just a matter of patient confidentiality.

      Tankred is a good and proud man and does not like to discuses, what he considers a "weakness".

      I was there when he went into bronchial spasm and yes it was a triage situation.
      Tankred suffers from COPD.

      Triage is one area I would like to talk about, not only at Pennsic, but at any event.

      1.  First Aiders are NOT ALLOWED, by the governing laws of Canada
      To administer first aid without the patients permission, it is a crime ( gross assault).  We may suggest, but
      If the patient is in any type of resistance, drop it.  You have done all you can do.

      2.  You have opened a whole new topic on Chirugeonate and pulling fighters...

      "But, we need to assert a certain common sense that adrenal pumped stick jocks seem to lack."

      In my humble opinion...don't go there. We have been down this road before and I realize that you are new and may not know.
      Like Seonag said, they are adults.
      Right, Wrong, Good or Bad, they are entitled to their own decisions.

      "I am an "unauthorized" Chirurgeon, that's to say that I don't have my papers although I trained in the navy (every 2 years we took the damn course)"

      Again, it is going back to what I refer to, when I teach, as "the legal, protective bubble".
      (I am an Instructor/Trainer for Canadian Red Cross)

      3.  We are First-Aiders... Plain and simple.

      Seonag is correct on the points she brings up..
      But I must run right now.. *sigh*.

      MariaKatharina von Schullenburg

        1.  First Aiders are NOT ALLOWED, by the governing laws of Canada
        To administer first aid without the patients permission, it is a crime ( gross assault).  We may suggest, but
        If the patient is in any type of resistance, drop it.  You have done all you can do.

        I'd like to modify Maria Katerina's point here. If a patient offers resistance it's true that you can't force treatment on them. HOWEVER, you can stay near by and repeat your offer.  They may be in worse shape than they think.  Offer to get them a blanket, another person (friend, family), offer assistance again in a "gee that was quite a hit you took, are you sure I can't take a quick look at your neck" or "wow you seem like you're in a lot of pain, can I get you some ice for that". If you think they need first aid, stay with them.

        If they worse happens and they pass out you now have (in Canada) what is called "implied consent" and you may do what you need to do to help them (staying within your training) which would start with calling EMS if not already done.

        Don't abandon them. Stick around. They may need you even if they think they don't.

        Seonag

        .

      • Claude Gagne

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
            Yes, with the permission of both Kaellyn and Tankred.
            (please read below)

            I have been with Tankred when he has given his permission to speak
            And when he has not wanted anyone to know...

            What I am asking is, in future, don't use their names please.
            And the problem with that would be...?

            Yours in health and safety,

            MariaKatharina

            Date: 09/13/06 11:04:43

            Actually I can speak to that situation as I was attending as a first Aider. And I should mention Tancred gave me specific permission to speak to other chirurgeons, and he was discussing the incident publicly, so we are not breaking any confidentiality here. But please keep this among ourselves.

            I escorted the first ambulance to Patient 1. When I arrived, he was being attended by at least one other Chirurgeon. He refused care from EMS quite emphatically and repeatedly, in fact their presence was agitating him. I asked EMS to wait outside while he calmed down and was persuaded to allow their assistance.

            While they were waiting outside, Patient 2 became unresponsive. Having been refused at the first patient, they attended at the second and immediately called for a second EMS unit to attend Patient 1 when he was ready.

            My first aid training says that responsiveness is right up there with ABC and should be treated just as seriously, but your and their mileage may vary.

            Sometimes s***tuff just happens in great leaps and bounds. One deals with it the best they can.

            Date: 09/13/06 14:40:54
            Subject: Re: [E-Chir] Please , no grip...