Re: [E-Chir] Intro

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2008
      Hi Freda!

      Glad to have you on the list - I'm TSivia, the outgoing Kingdom Chirurgeon.

      To be an officially rostered Chirurgeon (first-aider) within the SCA, you
      need to have three things: current CPR, First Aid (and an RN is of course,
      a permanent certification), and an SCA paid membership.

      The way things work with us is that you will work as a
      "chirurgeon-in-training" (hands-on treating with a more senior chirurgeon
      just keeping an eye out, mostly with issues that are SCA-unique like
      injuries when someone's still in armour, etc. etc.) for (generally 3)
      events. Then when you've been cleared (and it also gives you a little of
      the concept of how the SCA handles first aid issues, and also our unique
      issues, similar to sports first aid) you are certified as a full treating
      Chirurgeon.

      Our third level is "mentor chirurgeon", and that's basically someone we
      feel will be calm in a "situation", and also is a go-to person for advice
      (literally, mentoring). Most chi's never become Mentors...a few do. I
      think we've got 6 or so out of about 28 active chirurgeons in Ealdormere.

      If you're at War of the Trilliums over the Canada Day weekend, there will
      be a pot-luck Chirurgeon's Picnic on the Saturday, scheduled to start
      around 11 am. So if you make it, please drop by and introduce yourself.
      You'll get to meet some of us in person that way.

      Welcome to the SCA!
      TSivia

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2008
          What major centre are you near?

          To: E-Chir@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2008
            It's all good!

            It always takes around 20 min or so for folks to settle down, set up food,
            etc. etc. So come when YOUR class is over and join us. I just bought a
            10' x 10' shade pavillion and 2nd hand nabbed 2 round folding bridge
            tables so we'll have set up place and dry/shaded place for it too!!

            Enjoy your classes. We know you'll be coming.

            Anyone else going to show this year??

            TSivia

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 19, 2008
              At 12:51 PM 6/19/2008, you wrote:
              >Anyone else going to show this year??

              We're not making it to the event :-(

              Eyrny
            • tudorpot@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 19, 2008
                Near Peterborough- in Petrea Thule-- altho I live north of there - between Peterborough and Lindsay.

                Freda

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 20, 2008
                  Looking forward to the picnic!

                  This is a good get together to
                  Meet, great, listen to and share stories :)

                  MariaKatharina