Intro

  • tudorpot
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2008
      Hi,
      I'm Freda, new to the sca. My background is in nursing- RN, and former
      midwife. In the past I have worked ER, trauma, ICU, CCU. I do home
      care at present. If I can be of help please let me know.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2008
        Hi Freda!

        Glad to have you on the list - I'm TSivia, the outgoing Kingdom Chirurgeon.

        To be an officially rostered Chirurgeon (first-aider) within the SCA, you
        need to have three things: current CPR, First Aid (and an RN is of course,
        a permanent certification), and an SCA paid membership.

        The way things work with us is that you will work as a
        "chirurgeon-in-training" (hands-on treating with a more senior chirurgeon
        just keeping an eye out, mostly with issues that are SCA-unique like
        injuries when someone's still in armour, etc. etc.) for (generally 3)
        events. Then when you've been cleared (and it also gives you a little of
        the concept of how the SCA handles first aid issues, and also our unique
        issues, similar to sports first aid) you are certified as a full treating
        Chirurgeon.

        Our third level is "mentor chirurgeon", and that's basically someone we
        feel will be calm in a "situation", and also is a go-to person for advice
        (literally, mentoring). Most chi's never become Mentors...a few do. I
        think we've got 6 or so out of about 28 active chirurgeons in Ealdormere.

        If you're at War of the Trilliums over the Canada Day weekend, there will
        be a pot-luck Chirurgeon's Picnic on the Saturday, scheduled to start
        around 11 am. So if you make it, please drop by and introduce yourself.
        You'll get to meet some of us in person that way.

        Welcome to the SCA!
        TSivia

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2008
            What major centre are you near?

            To: E-Chir@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 19, 2008
              It's all good!

              It always takes around 20 min or so for folks to settle down, set up food,
              etc. etc. So come when YOUR class is over and join us. I just bought a
              10' x 10' shade pavillion and 2nd hand nabbed 2 round folding bridge
              tables so we'll have set up place and dry/shaded place for it too!!

              Enjoy your classes. We know you'll be coming.

              Anyone else going to show this year??

              TSivia

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 19, 2008
                At 12:51 PM 6/19/2008, you wrote:
                >Anyone else going to show this year??

                We're not making it to the event :-(

                Eyrny
              • tudorpot@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 19, 2008
                  Near Peterborough- in Petrea Thule-- altho I live north of there - between Peterborough and Lindsay.

                  Freda

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 20, 2008
                    Looking forward to the picnic!

                    This is a good get together to
                    Meet, great, listen to and share stories :)

                    MariaKatharina