Kingdom Chirurgeon position "description"

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11 10:27 PM
      Hi folks!

      As I have now started the formal process of finding someone to take
      over this position by Pennsic, here are my thoughts on what the job
      of being Ealdormere's Kingdom Chirurgeon entails. Feel free to ask
      any additional questions you might have, and feel free to drop me an
      application with:
      1) SCA certification (e.g. level in the Guild, also are you a paid up
      member, etc, years in the SCA and years in the Chirurgeonate at ANY
      level)
      2) mundane first aid background
      3) admin background if any (incl. for any other clubs, etc. etc.)
      4) any ideas you might have for the position
      5) why you'd like to do the job.

      Hoping to have to MAKE A CHOICE and have LOTS of good applications
      from many of you!
      Cheers!
      TSivia

      The most frustrating part of the job is paper-pushing (EUUUUW):
      keeping a
      record of whose certs are expired or not (that's three sets: FIRST
      AID,
      CPR, and SCA membership). That's the down part. I believe there
      are one
      or two computer systems out there that will track those dates for
      you and
      "ping" you when someone needs to be emailed about "you are about to
      expire" type of stuff. I'm a little more old-fashioned <and a
      little
      more flexible>. If I've VISUALLY SEEN someone's cards, I will wait
      for them
      to get copies into me but will put them on my roster asap. If I've
      seen
      them and their expiry dates are not for some time I feel comfortable
      that
      they'll get copies scanned, photocopy, whatever, into me before
      then. IF
      THEY don't I email them and drop them to "inactive" till the
      paperwork
      comes in.

      The 'up' parts: you get to be a sort of "cheerleader" for the
      Chirurgeonate
      in the Kingdom (or at least that's how I view it)...encourage folks
      work with us (they're covered under the SCA insurance that way), and
      keep
      encouraging the troops who have decided to chirurgeon with us. Keep
      an
      eye on their reports coming in from any given event (there is
      SUPPOSED to
      be a report sent in from EVERY event, and if there was no Chi in
      Charge,
      then the autocrat's supposed to send one in. NEVER managed to get
      ANYONE
      to do that however...!).

      The GOOD stuff is watching c.i.t. (formerly "apprentice") evals from
      events and being able to make CIT's full chirurgeons. Occasionally
      you get the REALLY fun stuff of moving a chirurgeon to Mentor.

      I've managed to get us from 4 warranted chirurgeons to about 28 or
      so in
      the 2 yrs I've been here, plus getting both Baroness Xristina and
      Maria-Katharina to offer at-cost training <not a lot of groups have
      taken
      ADVANTAGE of that, but hell...it's THERE!> for our folks. Kersketen
      sewed
      up lovely new banners for the office (the old one was threadbare and
      PINK): one for the field (polyester..so it won't run in the rain)
      and a
      nice cushy one for court use as well.

      So we've even got a tiny weeny bit of "bling" for the office. And
      the Kingdom is having new shiny collars of office made by Mistress
      AElfwyn, so there'll be new bling to wear too. (Chuckling)

      The current Society Chi is an old friend of mine: Mistress Katrei is
      completely
      prepared to be the new broom sweeping a LOT of old deadfall out of
      the
      office (BoD approved)...old chirurgeons who didn't renew their certs
      in
      decades but keep pontificatting on Kingdom lists, badly trained old
      chirurgeons, etc. etc. She's not afraid of painting a target on her
      back
      and I think the entire office will be much better off in the long
      run due
      to her actions. (There are a few folks who are well overdue for being
      turfed out of the position!)

      I view upping the profile of the Office as one of my important jobs
      in the
      last few years. The chirurgeonate overall has had a BAD
      reputation...a
      smal part unfortunately earned (Keeping a leash on "rescue rickies",
      or
      turfing them out completely), but the largest part due to very very
      very
      old PR (from the "we don't need no stinkin' chirurgeons" era). I've
      viewed
      my job as making sure both our membership AND the SCA in Ealdormere,
      recognize that we ONLY work at the first-aid level. Most of the
      folks in
      the corps in Ealdormere have HIGHER trained levels (duella, midwife,
      EMT/Paramedics, RNs, etc. etc.). But with that baldric on, they are
      ONLY working to first aid levels. When their additional level of
      expertise is called for they can just drop off the baldric and move
      to their mundane certs-level.

      I envision the SCA's chirurgeonate as Boo-Boo kissers: the coach at
      any
      amateur league sport with the tensor bandages, ice packs, and band-
      aids,
      NOTHING More. We had a fatality at Estrella this month: the folks
      who
      engaged and worked on him till the ambulance showed up were the
      PROFESSIONAL EMTs we hire and keep on site. (he was gone by the time
      his
      head hit the ground apparently: probably a massive heart attack from
      what
      I've heard. I was at Point when the call came in so I wasn't directly
      engaged in the efforts.)

      So: being Kingdom Chi is about watching paperwork and encouraging
      those
      who are properly certified and willing to put in a little boo-boo
      kissing
      time at events, to do so.

      PLEASE ask if you see something I may have forgotten here. It's
      really not
      that complicated a task, in all honesty. I *may* spend 10 hrs a
      month at
      this, including writing up Chirurgeon letters for the Tidings
      (including
      research when it's called for, like the embolism article I wrote for
      Jolecia after Sarnac died). I don't carry a kit into events that
      often
      <it's ALWAYS in my car> because I"m adamant that the Kingdom CHI is
      NOT
      the default chirurgeon at every darn event. <smile>

      Oh yeah...and you become a member of the Privy Council of the
      Kingdom so you'll be expected to attend approx. 1-hr
      meetings ...hmmmm: x4/year unless there's something horribly wrong
      going on in-Kingdom. You can also send your deputy to the meetings
      for you.
    • dabernan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21 7:51 AM

        T'sivia,

        Known for my abilities to get the job done right, it is my pleasure to submit my mundane/SCA resume for the Kingdom Chirurgeon position .

        Organization and Communication have been key in all of my previous employment positions, and is imperative in my roll as a Volunteer Fire-fighter with the Grand Valley and District Fire Department.

        I left the United States to make Canada my new home in April 2004, and started work immediately at Strand Lighting.  After almost two years with Strand Lighting they closed their Canadian offices and moved all operations to California , USA .  I have established a home for my family and have become rooted in my new community of Grand Valley .  I have always "played" with Ealdormere, and now have the opportunity to contribute more to my new Kingdom.

        I am confident I would bring with me a package of skills and experience that will provide us with an invaluable resource.  Having acquired the required certificates plus extra training  for this position, I feel I would be a benefit to the organization.

        I would be honoured to become a member of the team, and am available for a phone interview at your convenience.   I appreciate your time, and look forward to personally discussing with you how my abilities can best serve our needs.

        Please find attached 2 files (SCA Resume)(Mundane Resume)

      • Rita Vander Veen
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 24 6:12 AM
          Greetings

          With out going into this Gentleman's personal information given to the list, (because I'm not sure this is the proper venue to share with everyone)  I was just wonder who you were, since no name is posted and I did not recognized you email address.

          That being said,  was the expectation that we post personal information on this site, if we were applying for the position of Kingdom Chirurgeon?

          Lady Florence.

          To: E-Chir@yahoogroups.com
          From: dabernan@...
          Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:51:51 -0400
          Subject: Re: [E-Chir] Kingdom Chirurgeon position "description"

[...]

          You could win a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse from Sympatico / MSN Autos. Hunt for the Total Eclipse NOW!
        • James D Sena
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 24 10:05 AM
            It would never be proper to expect someone to give personal information to a list.  If, as I suspect, Ealdomere works like other Kingdoms, the usual way to apply would be to send a resume to the Kingdom Chirurgeon and the Kingdom Seneschal (Or the Crown, or Both).

            HL Brendan ap Llewelyn
            Summits Principality Chirurgeon (An Tir)
            who is going through the same kind of search at the moment

            To: E-Chir@yahoogroups. com
            From: dabernan@aol. com
            Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:51:51 -0400

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 24 11:42 AM
              The yahoo group isn't actually the appropriate place to post this: I have
              taken his information and it's in the list of those applying for the
              position of course.

              All applications can be sent to me privately. I will then collate them,
              review them, and ultimately bring my recommendation to the Privy Council.

              Cheers!
              TSivia <KC>

            • dabernan@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 29 10:36 AM
                yes,
                appreciate the thought

                As shown my personal information is out there, I've never been one to worry to much about it.
                my resume has been "out there" for a long time and I'm sure all the personal information given isn't already out there somewhere anyway.

                In the society, My name is Drake Abernan,
                And if you "play" in Ealdormere, You'll probably just know me as the guy who moved up here from the East Kingdom who is part of Timberwolfe and GodWeisel.
                My Knight is Syr Gunter, (whom has moved to South Carolina).
                 I was friends with Sarnac when he lived in New Jersey, and due to many extenuating circumstances has come to live and play in this part of the world.
                I'd be more than happy to have a few beers with anyone who would actally like to know more.
                or if you'd like to contact me "off line" or privately, let me know.

                YIS,
                Drake Abernan
                Thomas Blumetti

                H 519-928-5481
                e-mail dabernan@...

                ps.
                 Again, thank you for trying to "protect" my information.