Chirurgeoning at Pennsic this year?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2007
      Here's the announcement by Master Justin, Pennsic 36 CIC, on the
      Pennsic website:

      http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn36/GENERAL/chirurgeons.html

      As I understand it, the EMS crew will do the initial assessment and
      then send any boo-boos back to the chirurgeons to handle.

      I need to send my authorized chirurgeon list to Justin ASAP so if you
      have anything to add before I send this off (e.g. updating your certs)
      do it NOW.

      Thanks folks. I won't be there with you this year either..so have a
      great War and have one for me too!
      TSivia <KC Ealdormere>
    • Benetti,Sandy [Ontario]
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2007
        When you go to the link it words it a bit differently:

        "Per SCA policies, Chirurgeons provide care up to advanced first aid. More serious conditions are diagnosed and treated by the on-site EMS professionals. Ambulance transport is available on an as-needed basis. A list of off-site medical, dental, pharmacy, and mental health facilities will be available at the First Aid Point so that Pennsic attendees may arrange for treatment of illnesses such as sore throat or flu."

        The wording does make it sound like they send people to the Chirurgeons first. It says more serious conditions are diagnosed and treated by EMS.  Either way, the Chirurgeons still get to do our thing. Whether EMS does the initial assessment or we do is of no consequence to me.

        Seonag

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17, 2007
          Interesting. I'd appreciate someone reporting back to me as to how this
          actually DOES shake down this year.

          The main diff. I see is that it's now the "First Aid Point" and no longer
          Chi's point. Ah well...different label, same ole same ole (I hope).

          Enjoy War!
          TSivia

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17, 2007
            As much as some may want to support our their political approach to this hot topic, the bottom line is that the priority for care has to focus on the individual attendee.

            Paramedics don't like being called "ambulance drivers" for example, but they will still take someone to the hospital who calls them an ambulance driver.

            I agree that if people are being cared for appropriately, it doesn't matter who triages or what the name of the post is called. They'll let us take care of what is within our boundary of practice. I'm sure the EMS guys don't want to be washing blisters all Pennsic.
            (mind you, I don't know if *I* want to be washing blisters all of Pennsic either!! laugh)

            In service,
            Beth{o'}c

            solis sacerdotibus. Ave atque vale.

            Gopher Pursuivant, Kingdom of Ealdormere
            Pursuivant, Canton of Vest Yorvik, the High Seat of Septentria
            pending: per saltire purpure and gules a sea-unicorn erect argent within a bordure Or and argent (that is so close I can taste it!)

            http://realwomendrivestick.blogspot.com/index.html

            Ut sit magna, tamen certe lenta ira deorum est
            The wrath of the gods may be great, but it certainly is slow

            what does {o'} mean? See Da'ud notation: http://www.sca.org.au/herald/commentary/Da'ud%20Notation.htm