Slightly ot: of possible interest for Pagan Chirurgeons

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2006
      There is an organization which is both for the support of, and also
      a fraternal organization (does good works) for pagans (including
      aboriginal paganism, not just "Wicca" type) who work as military,
      police, firefighters, EMS, and related, called the Officers of
      Avalon. http://www.officersofavalon.com/ Their preceptor-general is
      an old acquaintance of mine, Kerr Cuhulain (formerly an officer with
      the Vancouver police). It's not specifically SCA but perhaps of
      interest to some.

      I have been emailing Kerr recently to find out if emergency first
      aiders might qualify as "associate members" and he says yes, if you
      actively work major SCA events like Pennsic, Gulf, Estrella, etc.
      etc. (the large Wars). For instance, I explained some of what comes
      through the Chirurgeon points at either War on overnight
      shifts...kinda like any full moon in an Emergency room at a small
      hospital. They'll also accept things such as Royal Lifesaving and
      Cdn. Ski Patrol (etc.) if you do things such as lifesaving and/or
      Search and Rescue.

      So if you're interested, read up on them via their web pages and
      make your own decisions. Thought I'd bring it up since I know many
      many of the SCA's chirurgeons are pagan (NOT all by any means!!) and
      that this might be of some interest. (Also do pass this onto any
      military, EMS, firefighters, and/or cops who may be interested).
      I"m told there is also an affiliated organization for pagan RNs.

      Holiday best to all!