RE: [E-Chir] Re: EMS and fist aid working together

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 6, 2006
      That was the whole point...
      The "we" IS everyone...

      It is not the "new Heart and Stroke guidelines".

      It is the new guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first aid were released recently by ILCOR, the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation, in 2006, who are  the body that reviews CPR and first aid every five years.

      ( This is why everyone from Red Cross, to St. John's, and beyond update the modalities, every five years...)

      The most important thing for Canadians to know right now is that the CPR they've been trained to perform is not “wrong.” The new guidelines reflect current scientific research and are a natural evolution of CPR since its introduction to the general public over 20 years ago.  The new recommended guidelines are focussed on simplifying CPR even further, making it even easier to learn.

      I teach how to take the carotid, brachial pulse, radial pulse, and femoral pulses...
      I do not have to, but I do.

      I could show the Abdominal aorta,  (Very thin individuals may be able to note a slight pulsation beneath the stomach when lying down in a relaxed position. This pulsation is caused by the abdominal aorta, the continuation of the aorta from the heart. At the level of the umbilicus (belly button), the aorta splits into the left and right common iliac arteries which deliver blood to the legs.)
      Or the Popliteal artery, (This artery lies behind the knee. Bend your knee slightly and feel in the soft area behind the knee.)

      I do not normally teach this to lay people because it confuses them, especially if it their first time learning First-Aid & CPR/AED.  I have been instructing for 17 years.

      Yours in health and safety,

      MariaKatharina
      ...."Of course he has a knife. He always has knives.
      We all have knives.  It's 1183 and we're all barbarians."

      Katharine Hepburn (1907 - 2003) As: Eleanor of  Aquitaine.
      The Lion in Winter. 1968
      Date: 12/05/06 14:11:42

      All good points, however as a first responder you still don't need the BP cuff. You can take a carotid pulse and a distal pulse. If you do them at the same time, they should both have the same rate and rhythm. If they don't there's a problem. If you can find one and not the other, there's a problem.  These are the 2 major pulse points most first aiders use.  Finding a podieital pulse is tricky and finding a femoral pulse is usually only done as a drastic measure.  Both carotid and distal pulse tell you a rough approximation of the systolic pulse.

      So, taking vitals yes. Change in pulse or a difference between carotid and distal pulse for rate rhythm or strength tell you if your patient is stable, improving, deteriorating and are (along with pupil response and respiration rate, skin colour and condition and level of consciousness) are all things you can relay to EMS. They don't require a BP cuff or stethoscope. I'm with the ski patrol, I know this.

      Seonag