93Re: EMS and fist aid working together

  • Streonwold Wulfesbana (mka Steve Benetti)
    Dec 4, 2006
      --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, KIM MCAULEY <viscountessk@...> wrote:

      > Ok, be honest and don't Google... who can say the real name of a BP
      cuff? And spell it correctly?

      sphygmomanometer

      ... and the one I use on myself at home is digital, bulletproof, and
      way more accurate than anybody needs.

      But, in 18 years with the Patrol, I've never, ever been trained in the
      use of a sphygmo, and probably never will. We consider it useful for
      advanced diagnosis, which is beyond the scope of the care we provide.
      Vitals are:
      Airway (patent, partially obstructed, noisy, obstructed, etc)
      Breathing (regular, irregular, ragged, etc.)
      Pulse (2 locations present/absent, count, strength, condition, etc.)
      Level of Consciousness (Glasgow scale)
      Skin (colour, condition, temperature, etc.)
      Pupil Response (equal/unequal dilation/response, etc.)

      Changes in these co-indicate changes in BP (and other things).

      Our training is directed at cold weather applications, where the
      rubber of a cuff may become brittle, crack, be unreliable. The above
      stuff is reliable no matter the temperature.
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic