87Re: EMS and fist aid working together

  • Streonwold Wulfesbana (mka Steve Benetti)
    Dec 4, 2006
      --- In E-Chir@yahoogroups.com, "Bethoc \(Lesley\)" <bethoc12thc@...>

      > 3) in an effort to feel vindication for the Chiurgeonate, I think
      people responded very emotionally, without respecting the privacy of
      both the persons they were serving (the public) and the persons
      involved (they deserve their privacy too). In the medical industry,
      privacy is a BIG issue. And unfortunately some folks took that as
      inappropriately withholding information.

      People did respond very emotionally. They were hurt, felt threatened,
      and kept, largely in the dark. For right or wrong, that's natural.
      An earlier statement by the BOD, to the Chirurgeonate, outlining some
      of the "problems" and detailing their direction forward would have
      helped defuse this. The BOD could have even given details of the
      "incidents" without violating any person's, cokmpany's, or
      organization's privacy, or impinging upon anybody's civil rights.

      An earlier release of information would have resulted in the
      Chirurgeons discussing the realities of the situation, rather than the
      emotionally charged suppositions.

      > 4) misunderstanding of responsibilities (which also speaks to
      point #1).... for example, the Chirugeons *can* do a BP... the
      question is, as a first aid responder, why do you need to?

      I agree. As a Ski Patroller of 18 years experience (including over
      ten years as an instructor), I have never needed, nor taken a BP
      reading. If I don't find a pulse anywhere distal to an injury - it's
      a load and go. If I don't find a peripheral pulse - it's a load and
      go. If I find an abnormal (ie. unexpected) rate, or strength, or an
      unusual rhythm in any pulse - it's probably load and go. A BP cuff,
      or a stethoscope won't help me decide.

      Basically, any unusual circulatory function requires care that I can't
      provide (ie. beyond blankets, O2, monitor, transport) and my patient
      needs to go to the hospital, ASAP.
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic