365Re: [E-Chir] Scenario 5

    Jan 20, 2010
      My ears really perk up at the "bones grinding together" and that immediately tells me this needs advanced medical diagnosis.  I'd tell him that this is beyond my first aid skills and I think he needs a doctor and an x-ray machine to determine what's really going on.  I'd tell him I can call an ambulance for him, and that we want an ambulance to keep him comfortable and to make sure something more serious doesn't develop without expert help available on the way to the hospital.  At the same time I'll keep an ear & eye on his level of consciousness and ability to breath, make sure he's focusing on me, the answers make sense, he appropriately understands the questions, that he keeps breathing and that it become calmer and more even.  I'd arrange for some ice, it will provide a small amount of comfort and the feeling that we're doing something.  I'd try to arrange for him to lie down somewhere, so he can't hurt himself falling if he faints.  If possible, I'd contact the local seneschal and the kingdom chirurgeon, or do so soon afterwards.  I'd have as much armour as can be removed without hurting his arm removed, and find someone who can go to the hospital with him, and contact any family or other friends if appropriate.  I'd send someone out to meet the ambulance and direct them to the nearest door.

      Eyrny

      On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Ninka <dyscordant_rose@...> wrote:

      You're spending the afternoon at your local fight practice. It's been a good fighting day with a fair number of fighters out happily hitting each other with sticks. While watching one of the fights you (and everyone else around you) notices that one of the newer fighters ends up blocking a shot with his forearm and he is not wearing vambraces. At first it doesn't seem as if there is a problem as the fighter actually throws a couple more shots before he notices something is wrong. Knowing that you are at the practice the fighter and a couple of his buddies walk over to you. You see that the injured fighter is cradling his left arm to his body and while he looks a bit pale he is gracefully accepting the razzing that his friends are giving him for actually trying to block a shot with his arm, not his sword or his shield. He sits down in a chair as he gets to you. On exam you notice that his left forearm is bruised, deformed and starting to swell. There is no bleeding or broken skin noted. He tells you that it feels like his bones are grinding together and that it hurts. A lot. He can move his fingers though it does increase his pain somewhat. He is not complaining of any numbness or tingling and his fingers are warm and pink below the injury site.

      Discuss.