241Re: [E-Chir] Re: 911 calls and chirurgeons

    Oct 24, 2008
      Hi,

      "We don't have them in our response bags"
      "We don't have them in our response bags"

      This is because you are not allowed to, by law.
      You are unauthorized, to carry any medications.
       It has nothing to do with whether they work or not but is a matter of training and certification.
       You still need a script to obtain an epi-pen which still makes its administration a controlled medical act. To my knowledge none of the fire departments are signed off by a base hospital to do this. (In Dufferin County)
       If a patient has their own medication, prescribed to them, a fire fighter might help them administer it.

      Our Paramedics in Dufferin County are authorized to carry them.
      Dufferin County has Peel Region there are two levels of Paramedic; Primary Care and Advanced Care.

      Primary Care Paramedics attend school for two years to become certified, they are trained to perform defibrillation, and are authorized to administer 6 symptom relief medications. Primary Care Paramedics are the standard in Ontario, and make up the majority of Paramedic teams in the province.

      Advanced Care Paramedics attend an additional year of school, carry a larger assortment of medications and can perform more procedures. These additional procedures include IV starts, intubation and other advanced airway procedures.
      (We are attached to a Base Hospital here.)

      They try to always pair up a P1 with a P2 here, in Dufferin County and in Peel.

      "......Epi-pens don't always work the way they should (hands on knowledge)."

      This part is sad, and I am truly sorry if it happened, but it should not always be the case...

      Epinephrine has a short "shelf life" of approximately one year.
      If you carry an "Epi-Pen Sr. Or Epi-Pen Jr. ,(0.3 and 0.15 mg epinephrine),
      Please check the exp.  Date on the side of the barrel.

      (we are all human :) and don't always "check the expiration dates:)
      If the epinephrine becomes "cloudy" or turns a yellowish or brown co lour, do not use it.
      (take it back to the pharmacy from where it came to be disposed of properly.)

      There is also the Twinject, auto-injector that provides 2 doses of epinephrine in 1 device.
       (Unfortunately, many people with severe food allergies may need more than one dose of epinephrine if they accidentally eat the food to which they're allergic.)
      (no finger pointing or harsh feelings in this please :D, just clarifying.  Hope it helps.)

      MariaKatharina/MaryCatharine