General question about capabilities of Kflop

  • corey94945
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2010
      I've got a general question about the capabilities of the Kflop.

      I've got a small knee mill that I retrofitted to Mach 3 a few years ago. It has a Bob campbell board for controlling all the axis, home switches, VFD, etc. It has a plain vanilla breakout board on LPT2 which controls a couple of relays and takes the inputs from the limit switches.

      I'm pretty far along building an ATC for this machine. The ATC is going to need another 5 outputs to control it, and about 7 inputs for feedback from the various actuators. As you can imagine, all this IO is getting a bit tight on two parallel ports. I'm going to have to do things like combine all the limit switches on one input (no big deal) and combine the functions of drawbar release and tool unload on a single output (a slightly bigger deal).

      All this has me wondering, what can Kflop do for me? If I ditch all the parallel port hardware and replace it with a Kflop can I do what I want to do without running out of I/O lines? The website doesn't make it entirely clear what functions are available on the Kflop board. The Artsoft website has a simple summary of the capabilities, but I don't know if it is comprehensive.

      This is my complete wish list, my current solution doesn't give me all of these things:

      5-axis (X,Y,Z, A (Rotary Table), Z2 (knee, tool offsets are applied here))
      1 Analog out 0-5v or 0-10v is fine (for VFD)
      ~9 outputs (2 spindle, 1 coolant, 6 air solenoids, etc.)
      ~19 inputs (6 limit switches, 3 home switches, 7 ATC feedback, 3 physical buttons)

      thanks,
    • Bengt Sjoelund
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 2, 2010
        Hi Corey,

        Why 2 outputs for spindle?
        ~9 outputs (2 spindle, 1 coolant, 6 air solenoids, etc.)

        + and - limits and home needs max 3 inputs do it with 2 inputs
        ~19 inputs (6 limit switches, 3 home switches, 7 ATC feedback, 3 physical buttons)

        Cheers Bengt

        --- In DynoMotion@yahoogroups.com, "corey94945" <vandal968@...> wrote:

        > I've got a general question about the capabilities of the Kflop.
        >
        > I've got a small knee mill that I retrofitted to Mach 3 a few years ago. It has a Bob campbell board for controlling all the axis, home switches, VFD, etc. It has a plain vanilla breakout board on LPT2 which controls a couple of relays and takes the inputs from the limit switches.
        >
        > I'm pretty far along building an ATC for this machine. The ATC is going to need another 5 outputs to control it, and about 7 inputs for feedback from the various actuators. As you can imagine, all this IO is getting a bit tight on two parallel ports. I'm going to have to do things like combine all the limit switches on one input (no big deal) and combine the functions of drawbar release and tool unload on a single output (a slightly bigger deal).
        >
        > All this has me wondering, what can Kflop do for me? If I ditch all the parallel port hardware and replace it with a Kflop can I do what I want to do without running out of I/O lines? The website doesn't make it entirely clear what functions are available on the Kflop board. The Artsoft website has a simple summary of the capabilities, but I don't know if it is comprehensive.
        >
        > This is my complete wish list, my current solution doesn't give me all of these things:
        >
        > 5-axis (X,Y,Z, A (Rotary Table), Z2 (knee, tool offsets are applied here))
        > 1 Analog out 0-5v or 0-10v is fine (for VFD)
        > ~9 outputs (2 spindle, 1 coolant, 6 air solenoids, etc.)
        > ~19 inputs (6 limit switches, 3 home switches, 7 ATC feedback, 3 physical buttons)
        >
        > thanks,

      • Corey Renner
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 2, 2010
          Bengt,
          Two outputs for spindle because it's Off/Enable FWD/Enable REV.  I'm not following how all the limits and homes can be handled on two inputs, can you elaborate?  I know that I can combine all the limits on one input since it doesn't really matter which one trips.  Are you suggesting doing something similar on the home switches as well?  My limits are cherry switches, but my home switches are inductive prox.

          I'd still like to know the maximum number of digital ins and digital outs on the Kflop board.

          cheers,

          On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Bengt Sjoelund <cnc@...> wrote:
          Hi Corey,

          Why 2 outputs for spindle?
          ~9 outputs (2 spindle, 1 coolant, 6 air solenoids, etc.)

          + and - limits and home needs max 3 inputs do it with 2 inputs
          ~19 inputs (6 limit switches, 3 home switches, 7 ATC feedback, 3 physical buttons)

          Cheers Bengt

        • Marty Escarcega
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 2, 2010
            Corey, had you had a look at this page:

            http://dynomotion.com/Help/SchematicsKFLOP/ConnectorsKFLOP.htm

            ---- Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:
            > Bengt,
            > Two outputs for spindle because it's Off/Enable FWD/Enable REV. I'm not
            > following how all the limits and homes can be handled on two inputs, can you
            > elaborate? I know that I can combine all the limits on one input since it
            > doesn't really matter which one trips. Are you suggesting doing something
            > similar on the home switches as well? My limits are cherry switches, but my
            > home switches are inductive prox.
            >
            > I'd still like to know the maximum number of digital ins and digital outs on
            > the Kflop board.
            >
            > cheers,
            >
            > On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Bengt Sjoelund <cnc@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Corey,
            > >
            > > Why 2 outputs for spindle?
            > > ~9 outputs (2 spindle, 1 coolant, 6 air solenoids, etc.)
            > >
            > > + and - limits and home needs max 3 inputs do it with 2 inputs
            > > ~19 inputs (6 limit switches, 3 home switches, 7 ATC feedback, 3 physical
            > > buttons)
            > >
            > > Cheers Bengt

          • Bengt Sjoelund
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 2, 2010
              Hi Corey,
              Two pins can handle this, all +/- limits to one and all home to one. When you do homeing you do one axis at the time Z first second Y third X and so on, you have to write your own homeing in Mach. There are lots of info on Machsupport on this. There is one issue if two axis hits limits at the same time as Tom explained in earlier thread, but it is probably never going to happend. To be on the safe side you can always use soft-limits in Mach.
              Cheers Bengt

              --- In DynoMotion@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

              > Bengt,
              > Two outputs for spindle because it's Off/Enable FWD/Enable REV. I'm not
              > following how all the limits and homes can be handled on two inputs, can you
              > elaborate? I know that I can combine all the limits on one input since it
              > doesn't really matter which one trips. Are you suggesting doing something
              > similar on the home switches as well? My limits are cherry switches, but my
              > home switches are inductive prox.
              >
              > I'd still like to know the maximum number of digital ins and digital outs on
              > the Kflop board.
              >
              > cheers,
              >
              > On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Bengt Sjoelund <cnc@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Corey,
              > >
              > > Why 2 outputs for spindle?
              > > ~9 outputs (2 spindle, 1 coolant, 6 air solenoids, etc.)
              > >
              > > + and - limits and home needs max 3 inputs do it with 2 inputs
              > > ~19 inputs (6 limit switches, 3 home switches, 7 ATC feedback, 3 physical
              > > buttons)
              > >
              > > Cheers Bengt

            • Corey Renner
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 2, 2010
                Marty,
                I've seen that page, but it still leaves me with questions.

                If I'm reading this right, it looks like the board has 45 general purpose I/O lines.  If I am using 5 axis running steppers (no feedback), that should use 10 lines.  So I believe that I would have 35 I/O lines left that could be used for anything under Mach3, I'm just not positive if this is the case.  If this is true, Dynomotion should make it OBVIOUS on their web-site since this would be quite a selling point.

                I'd like to see something like this on their website:

                45 available I/O's
                Steppers use 2 per axis, Servos use 4 per axis, all remaining can be used for any purpose:

                Examples:
                3-axis stepper with 39 I/O's available.
                3-axis servo with 33 I/O's available

                5-axis stepper with 35 I/O's available
                5-axis servo with 25 I/O's available.

                Is what I wrote above true or not? I still don't have an answer.  Potential customers with unanswered questions are lost sales.

                On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Marty Escarcega <escarcega@...> wrote:
                Corey, had you had a look at this page:

                http://dynomotion.com/Help/SchematicsKFLOP/ConnectorsKFLOP.htm

                ---- Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:
                > Bengt,
                > Two outputs for spindle because it's Off/Enable FWD/Enable REV.  I'm not
                > following how all the limits and homes can be handled on two inputs, can you
                > elaborate?  I know that I can combine all the limits on one input since it
                > doesn't really matter which one trips.  Are you suggesting doing something
                > similar on the home switches as well?  My limits are cherry switches, but my
                > home switches are inductive prox.
                >
                > I'd still like to know the maximum number of digital ins and digital outs on
                > the Kflop board.
                >
                > cheers,
                >
                > On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Bengt Sjoelund <cnc@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi Corey,
                > >
                > > Why 2 outputs for spindle?
                > > ~9 outputs (2 spindle, 1 coolant, 6 air solenoids, etc.)
                > >
                > > + and - limits and home needs max 3 inputs do it with 2 inputs
                > > ~19 inputs (6 limit switches, 3 home switches, 7 ATC feedback, 3 physical
                > > buttons)
                > >
                > > Cheers Bengt

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   DynoMotion-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   DynoMotion-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Tom Kerekes
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 2, 2010
                  Hi Corey,

                  Yes that is basically correct.  KFlop by itself actually has 46 Digital I/O lines (labeled IO0 through IO45).  All can be used as General Purpose I/O but some pins have dedicated hardware functions.  Step/Dir output pins, PWM output pins, and quadrature encoder input pins are dedicated.  Home, Limits, Index Pulses, or other I/O are handled through software so they may be connected to any available input.  Some inputs are +5V tolerant and some are only +3.3V tolerant.  When option boards are attached (Kanalog or SnapAmps), then certain KFlop connectors are consumed but with additional I/O added from the option boards.  Steppers and Servos can require variable number of I/O bits depending on the type and options (ie. usually servos do not use Step/Dir outputs).  I wish it was simpler.

                  I hope this helps.

                  Regards
                  TK

                     http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/DynoMotion /join

                     DynoMotion-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 2, 2010
                    Thanks Tom, that helps a lot.

                    You may want to consider making this more obvious on your website and also on the Artsoft plugins page.

                    http://www.machsupport.com/plugins.php

                    I don't think that either location is doing justice to the capabilities of this board.

                    cheers,

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 2, 2010
                      Looks like Tom answered you and confirmed our suspicions about the number of I/O

                      Damn its hot outside....I got the mill loaded on the trailer and ready to go. It went pretty well. We've taken a few pictures. I'll post them over the weekend.

                      Did I say its friggin HOT outside?

                      Marty

                    • Marty Escarcega
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 2, 2010
                        Meant to send this directly to Corey, but FWIW, we live in the Phoenix Metropolitan area and are part of the same metalworking club. At 4:15pm its 112 degrees.....I'm bringing home a 10x54 CNC Knee mill tomorrow, moving it myself.

                        Marty

                      • Marty Escarcega
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 9, 2010
                          How close are you to implementing single point threading on the lathe? Either with your software or ultimately the Mach III plug in.
                          Thank you!.
                          Marty
                        • Tom Kerekes
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 9, 2010
                            Hi Marty,

                            We are cutting good multipass threads via a KFlop User C Program.  See the email and video from a User below.

                            So currently it is possible to do threading performed by KFlop triggered by an M command in either Mach3 or KMotionCNC.  But we are just beginning to properly integrate it with Mach3 or KMotionCNC.

                            Here is a plot of captured data showing how the Lathe Carriage accelerates and synchronizes with the desired spindle position.  This data was captured with a spindle speed of ~360rpm and cutting a 5mm pitch thread.  The plot's horizontal axis is time (seconds), the vertical axis is z encoder counts (400cnts/mm), green is the z axis, purple is the desired z position based on spindle position.

                            It would be nice if others could test.
                            TK

                            Hi Tom,
                            Yesterday's exercise was very pleasing.
                            The results are excellent and I have posted a short video a thread that I cut after our initial tests.
                            I altered the figures, as you suggested, and the result is a 1.5mm pitch thread on the nylon rod.
                            I also did a 1.75mm pitch.
                            Both are excellent - lead-in is spot on.
                            The threading video is the last one.
                            http://www.kumeu.co.nz/hankooklathe/
                            I will get to posting on the forum :)

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 9, 2010

                              Thanks Tom. That helps. How would one test? Do you have a beta version of the software enabled for threading G codes?

                              To use your hardware does one have to be versed in programming in C? (I am not)

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 10, 2010
                                Hi Marty,

                                Not yet.  I recently discovered that Mach3 implements G76 as a macro called M1076.m1s that in turn uses G32.  So it seems we just need to implement G32.

                                Yes to use our controller you must be able to modify a C program.   You don't need to be a C programming expert, but you should be able to read the code and have a vague idea of what it going on to make minor changes.

                                For example, the program link below is a C program that does the threading motion.  You would likely need to change the "Zend" to move other than 50mm or the "Rate" to be other than 5mm pitch

                                double Zstart = 0;
                                double Zend = 50.0*ZRES;
                                double Rate = 5.0*ZRES;   // counts/rev

                                Regards
                                TK

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 10, 2010
                                  Hi Tom,
                                  In that C program, that you mention, is there a lefthand and righthand threading option?
                                  And to achieve that do we just change the Zend to a positive or negative?

                                  Ross

                                  --
                                  Ferguson Windmills Company
                                  835 Old North Road,
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 10, 2010
                                    Hi Ross,

                                    That could have been written better.  I think you need to change the Zend, the rate, one "if" statement.

                                    such as:

                                    double Zstart = 0;
                                    double Zend = -50.0*ZRES;
                                    double Rate = -5.0*ZRES;   // counts/rev

                                     if (y > 0.0) y=0.0;

                                    TK

                                    Thanks Tom. That helps. How would one test? Do you have a beta version of the software enabled for threading G codes?

                                    To use your hardware does one have to be versed in programming in C? (I am not)

                                    Marty

                                    How close are you to implementing single point threading on the lathe? Either with your software or ultimately the Mach III plug in.
                                    Thank you!.
                                    Marty

                                    --
                                    Ferguson Windmills Company
                                    835 Old North Road,
                                    R.D.2,    Waimauku,
                                    New Zealand.  0882
                                    Ph 64 9  411 8332       Mobile 027 282 7689
                                    Fax 64 9 412 8655
                                    E-mail   -  ferman@windmills. co.nz
                                    http://www.windmills.co.nz
                                  • Ross Ferguson
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 10, 2010
                                      Thanks Tom,
                                      I can almost wrap my head around the first part, and make some sense of it.
                                      But could you explain the "if" section please?
                                      Ross

                                      --
                                      Ferguson Windmills Company,
                                      www.windmills.co.nz
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 10, 2010
                                        Ross,

                                        look for the line like this

                                        if (y < 0.0) y=0.0;
                                        change it to

                                        if (y > 0.0) y=0.0;
                                        TK

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 11, 2010

                                          Tom, to modify the C program do you need a compiler? Excuse my ignorance, I’m not familiar with it. I can edit config files with a text editor….just trying to understand what I’m getting into.

                                          I don’t mind running your software to control my lathe, but I don’t want to have to edit files when I want to change the pitch of the threads?

                                          Thanks

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 11, 2010
                                            Hi Marty,

                                            The compiler and editor comes built-in.  See:

                                            But yes you should wait until we get it fully integrated to Mach3.

                                            Regards
                                            TK