Re: [DxDesigner_Users] no connect

  • Benny
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
      Good idea Austin!

      Benny

      Austin Franklin wrote:
      Hi,

      The point, for me at least, is to have pins that I do NOT want connected in the netlist not show up as warnings in the netlist generation.  And, for single pins that should have been connected because of a schematic error weren't, to show up more easily detectable.  So, I have a symbol I attach to all pins that I do not want connected, and that solves the problem.  I do have a script to strip out the unwanted parts and connections from the netlist though, so there is some work beyond just running the netlister to do it this way.

      Regards,

      Austin

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
        You can also just assign the net an attribute named NC with no value.
        This has worked for me in the past.  I think this is the recommended way from Mentor Graphics, too.  It not only can be used to eliminate no-connect warnings, but it also eliminates single-pin net connections in the netlist, because single-pin nets with this attribute are not passed through.

        Paul

        I do something simpler, I just attach a little piece
        of net to the "NC" pins and label the net "NC".
        I then copy that tiny piece of net anywhere I need
        a no-connected pin to not show up in the warnings
        list. I have one vertical and one horizontal example
        and just copy them around as needed.

        I've been using this trick for years and never
        had a problem.

        Rich

        --- anatak92 <katana@gate. net> wrote:

        > Is there a way to connect a "no connect" symbol to a
        > pin so that
        > DxDesigner thinks that the pin is terminated? That
        > way pins which are
        > not supposed to be connected will have this symbol
        > attached and those
        > that have been forgotten will still generate a
        > warning.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > mailto:DxDesigner_Users- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?

      • tomrwild
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 12, 2008
          I'll weigh in with my technique, and I apologize if it was already
          covered in this extensive thread. This works with PADS, but I don't
          know about other layout tools.

          I have a module symbol (looks like a red 'X' with a pin), which is a
          single pin symbol. It contains one attribute, NETNAME=NO_CONNECT. When
          I run pcbfwd, I instruct PADS to ignore this net. Please note that I
          do not label the net connecting this symbol to my IC's or connector's
          unused pin.

          The advantage, for me, is that the netlister does not complain about
          single pin nets, nor does it flag unconnected pins. That way, when I
          DO get one of those warnings, it generally means I made a mistake.

          Hope this helps,
          Tom
        • Austin Franklin
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 12, 2008
            Hi Tom,

            > When I run pcbfwd, I instruct PADS to ignore this net.

            How do you instruct PADS to ignore that net?

            > The advantage, for me, is that the netlister does not complain about
            > single pin nets, nor does it flag unconnected pins.

            Personally, I want unconnected pins flagged. I want every pin to have a
            connection. It's an intentional design practice that has proven to help
            prevent errors on my part.

            Regards,

            Austin
          • Hugh Simpson
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 12, 2008
              Hi,

              What I do when I do the schematic, is to put the left over gates on the last page and tie them high. That way the pins are connected and you can tell where spare gates are if you need to rework the board.

              Hugh

              Austin Franklin <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
              Hi Tom,

              > When I run pcbfwd, I instruct PADS to ignore this net.

              How do you instruct PADS to ignore that net?

              > The advantage, for me, is that the netlister does not complain about
              > single pin nets, nor does it flag unconnected pins.

              Personally, I want unconnected pins flagged. I want every pin to have a
              connection. It's an intentional design practice that has proven to help
              prevent errors on my part.

              Regards,

              Austin

            • Rich Tanner
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 12, 2008
                I've never seen the "NC" net even exist in the
                netlist,
                let alone getting connected.

                I may have meant an attribute "NC", in any case,
                it's just a little net stub I copy around the
                schematic to any place I'm SURE should not be
                connected to anything.

                No need for numbering them, they only effect the
                warnings for non-connected pins to keep the intended
                NC pins off the warning list.

                Rich

                --- "Chombeau, Mike" <mike.chombeau@...> wrote:

                > Be careful with this technique. Labeling a net the
                > same name as another
                > net makes a real connection between them. I don't
                > think you want all
                > your NC nets connected together in the layout. We
                > use the label prefix
                > "NC_" and make them all unique names. You can also
                > just assign the net
                > an attribute named NC with no value.
                >

                > Mike Chombeau
                >
                > Validation Hardware Oregon
                >
                > 503-264-1808
                >
                > ________________________________

                <mailto:DxDesigner_Users-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

                > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

                <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>

                Be a better friend, newshound, and
              • Rich Tanner
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 12, 2008
                  I don't recall them getting the single-pin-net warning
                  either. I don't have a system in front of me to check
                  exactly every detail, but I'm prety sure I don't get
                  a huge list of bogus single-pin nets either.

                  Rich

                • dxdj100
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 12, 2008
                    We create a nc symbol (pin type symbol) with the net NC. Then when you
                    load the netlist using ECO there is a selection for ignoring nets. You
                    type in NC, and all NC nets are ignored.

                    Jason

                    --- In DxDesigner_Users@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Franklin"
                    <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Tom,
                    >
                    > > When I run pcbfwd, I instruct PADS to ignore this net.
                    >
                    > How do you instruct PADS to ignore that net?
                    >
                    > > The advantage, for me, is that the netlister does not complain about
                    > > single pin nets, nor does it flag unconnected pins.
                    >
                    > Personally, I want unconnected pins flagged. I want every pin to have
                    > connection. It's an intentional design practice that has proven to
                    help
                    > prevent errors on my part.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Austin

                  • Chombeau, Mike
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 12, 2008

                      How many engineers does it take to “Not” connect a net?

                      <yahoogroups@ ...> wrote:

                      > Hi Tom,
                      >
                      > > When I run pcbfwd, I instruct PADS to ignore this net.
                      >
                      > How do you instruct PADS to ignore that net?
                      >
                      > > The advantage, for me, is that the netlister does not complain about
                      > > single pin nets, nor does it flag unconnected pins.
                      >
                      > Personally, I want unconnected pins flagged. I want every pin to have
                      > connection. It's an intentional design practice that has proven to
                      help
                      > prevent errors on my part.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Austin

                    • Austin Franklin
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 12, 2008
                        Hi Hugh,

                        What I'm talking about aren't "gates" per se, but unused pins typically on large ASICs.  Some require being left unconnected, or if connected, could cause a problem or don't need external pullups (waste space...as each pin would require a separate pullup for ATE).

                        Regards,

                        Austin

                        What I do when I do the schematic, is to put the left over gates on the last page and tie them high. That way the pins are connected and you can tell where spare gates are if you need to rework the board.

                        Hugh

                        Hi Tom,

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 12, 2008
                          Hi Jason,

                          How do you remove the NC symbol (which leads to components) from the netlist?

                          Regards,

                          Austin

                          <yahoogroups@ ...> wrote:

                          > Hi Tom,
                          >
                          > > When I run pcbfwd, I instruct PADS to ignore this net.
                          >
                          > How do you instruct PADS to ignore that net?
                          >
                          > > The advantage, for me, is that the netlister does not complain about
                          > > single pin nets, nor does it flag unconnected pins.
                          >
                          > Personally, I want unconnected pins flagged. I want every pin to have
                          > connection. It's an intentional design practice that has proven to
                          help
                          > prevent errors on my part.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Austin

                        • Mike Walker
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 13, 2008
                            Related to NC topic. Be aware that if you add the NC
                            symbol to pins through a small net and generate you
                            netlist that way, it will increase your net count.
                            Not a big deal. However, if you use outside layout
                            resources, some of their estimates are based on net
                            count (along with pin count and layer count). I had a
                            board come back from a very well known layout shop
                            recently that estimated the cost a lot higher than
                            expected. Once I explained the 800+ "nets" that were
                            not actually routing, the price got much better.

                            Be a better friend, newshound, and
                          • jediz4
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 16, 2008
                              Hi Michael,

                              I've been running DxDesigner (PADS flow) on a Dell Precision 490,
                              Quad-Core, and Windows XP Professional x64 for about a year, and I
                              haven't had any problems. Both DxDesigner and PADs Layout/Router work
                              fine.

                              Thanks,

                              Jeremy

                              --- In DxDesigner_Users@yahoogroups.com, "Mason, Michael"
                              <michael_mason@...> wrote:

                              > We are planning to upgrade our PCs to 64-bit systems later this year and
                              > would like to use the 64-bit version of Windows XP. Our concern is
                              > whether or not DxDesigner, DxDatabook, Scout, etc will run in this
                              > environment. The official word from Mentor is the 64-bit version of XP
                              > is not supported but users have reported the tools work in this
                              > environment. We are running PADS2005SP2 and I'd be interested in hearing
                              > if anyone has tried to run this release, or any release, on 64-bit XP
                              > machine and what the outcome was. Thanks in advance for your time.
                              >

                              > Michael Mason
                              >
                              > LECO Corp.
                              >
                              > St. Joseph, MI
                              >

                              > LECO Corporation Notice: This communication may contain
                              confidential information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If
                              you received this by mistake, please destroy it and notify us of the
                              error. Thank you.