Re: Questions on ProjectNavigator

  • rjones@innoveda.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 17, 2001
      Lauren,

      As John mentioned, if this design successfully passes "Save+Check"
      without warnings or errors, you should not be seeing the design
      reload every time you click on a different sheet. That being said,
      if it is happening you can disable the reload on a File/Open by
      unclicking the "Cross-probe from ViewDraw" checkbox in the Tree
      properties page of the Project Navigator properties. Unchecking this
      will make it such that Navigator does not attempt to synchronize its
      data whenever you change the view you are looking at in ViewDraw.

      If your design is flat and you are seeing less reloads when you
      display data in "flattened view", this is probably also because you
      have the "Cross-probe from ViewDraw" selection checked. Whatever it
      is that is causing the Navigator to think data is stale and needs to
      be reloaded is probably happening every time you change views in
      Viewdraw.

      One more piece of advice: The more attributes you display in the
      Project Navigator Contents, the longer it will take to load data.
      Turn off display of any attribute groups you don't really need to see
      in Project Navigator Contents from the "Contents" page of the Project
      Navigator Properties.

      Rick

      --- In innoveda_users@y..., "John Dube" <jdube@i...> wrote:
      > Hi Lauren,
      >
      > Reloading the entire design when clicking a different
      > sheet in the tree sounds like a bug. Please report that
      > to http://www.innoveda.com/support/ to get a technical
      > support engineer involved.
      >
      > There is a 'pop' command - hit the space bar and type pop.
      > Alternatively, if you've pushed down the hierarchy, you can
      > just close the window (Alt-F4 or click the X) to pop. You
      > can bind a key or create a context menu entry for Pop using
      > a script.
      >
      > The sort is purely alphabetical, plus some tweaks to get bus
      > elements correctly ordered. That's a good idea put the
      > unlabeled ($) nets after the labeled nets.
      >
      > The help topic "Customizing the Attribute area" describes
      > the attributes.ini file for attributes and attribute groups.
      >
      > John

      Is there
      > > anyway to prevent this from happening in these latter two
      operations?
      > > After all, the design is flat, it knows all the sheets are part
      of the
      > > design.
      > > Opening any known sheet should not make the design have to be
      reloaded.

      > > Does anyone have advice for using ProjectNavigator with a
      hierarchical
      > > design? I think we want to use the Flattened View to minimize
      > > data reloads,
      > > although it makes the names rather ugly. Typically, we always
      enter the
      > > design from the top (and would love a POP to return after
      Pushing), but
      > > again want to reduce the number of design loads. I haven't
      completely
      > > explored this behavior yet.
      > >
      > > Is there anyway to sort the Net names smartly? What I really want
      is
      > > all the 'unnamed' nets, ie the ones that start with $, to be
      placed on
      > > the bottom of the list.
      > >
      > > Is there a way to specify additional attributes in the Nets tab
      of the
      > > Contents window? We don't use Class and Delay, which seem to come
      > > up as the default. I know there is the Attribute window (haven't
      > > got to that
      > > yet), but since there is some of this functionality already in
      > > the Contents
      > > window, I'd like to customize it for our needs (same thing for the
      > > Components
      > > tab).
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Lauren Baker
      > > Unisphere Networks

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Baker, Lauren
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 18, 2001
        John,

        I always get it to reload when I just click on the
        '+' to expand the sheets under the design name in the
        tree window and similarly when I click on one of the
        sheets listed in the tree. I know I should submit
        a bug, but I find that user supplied ones never seem
        to get fixed (they always seem to get buried under
        enhancements and never looked at, especially when they
        have to do with slow performance - reference my case
        about print project "reading" the project structure
        instead of looking for an existing <design>.ppo file -
        it wastes 30 seconds of user time. I've had this case
        open since May and no action - I can't get the actual
        case number, since the Answer system is down). Sorry
        to be so burned out trying to use the support system,
        but I never see any fixes. It would be great if you
        could get the attention of the developers.

        Thanks for the hint about the attributes file. I assumed
        that was for the attributes window, but I guess it applies
        to the other windows. I'll try it out and see what I get.