RE: [innoveda_users] Re: Fix for auto importing p files from ePD3.1 to PowerPCB5.01

  • Jonathan Hurst
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 9, 2003
      Gary,
      I do the same, I have a library of "junk" because viewdraw rips every
      part out of an existing libraries dumping all of the attributes and
      putting the part in the first library in the library list. If I take the
      quotes off of the trash library then VD doesn't search the rest of the
      libraries in the search order to find all of the existing parts. I have
      submitted it but since I can get it to forward by completly disabling
      the library functions it gets a low priority, I feel a bit shafted, but
      that is the subject of a different message... one including a soap box.
      Jonathan

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 11, 2003
        After 25+ years of no one ever caring one wit about this (or even mentioned
        it), a client today asked about marking pin 1 on all individual resistors
        and non-polarized capacitors on my schematics...which of course is useless
        unless the corresponding PCB footprint is somehow designated with pin 1 as
        well. He said that he didn't want to have to guess which side was pin one
        on the board, when he was scoping around the board in the lab.

        I suggested that for the very (and I mean very) limited time he *might* be
        scoping around the board, that he could use the PCB layout tool as a viewer
        which would show him what signal went to what physical side of the
        resistor... Well, we'll see how that goes... I'm also going to suggest
        getting ViewDraw and using the cross-prober.

        How many of you actually mark pin 1 for individual resistors and
        non-polarized caps in your schematics, much less identify them on your PCB?

        Regards,

        Austin
      • Kipton Moravec
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 11, 2003
          At 06:51 PM 9/11/03, you wrote:

          >How many of you actually mark pin 1 for individual resistors and
          >non-polarized caps in your schematics, much less identify them on your PCB?
          >
          >Regards,
          >
          >Austin

          I see his point as I have to debug my boards, but I have never done it, and
          it would confuse the board shop as they would be looking for pin 1 on the part.

          I use printouts of the layers so I can follow the trace when I am debugging
          if I need to know which side of the resistor is what.

          Kip
        • Ivanov Igor
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 13, 2003
            Austin,
            We do this for years from the very early Work View Office times. It's really very helpful during board debugging. And besides when I need to generate ECO to production department for any reason - how should I define the side of resistor/capacitor to connect jumper to?
            However the problem consists of 2 parts marking in the schematics and on PCB:
            We do mark pin 1 on schematics but don't mark it on PCB itself (silkscreen), assuming the certain rules like that:
            horizontally laid resistor always gets pin 1 on its left side and vertically laid resistor - gets pin 1 on its upper side.

            With best regards
            Igor Ivanov
            Displays engineer
            Astronautics C.A., Israel
            Tel: 972+3-9251555 ex.561
            Fax: 972+3-9251550
            E-mail: igori@...

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 15, 2003
              Austin

              We mark pin 1 in our schematics.
              I add in public library a small dot who mark pin 1.
              All schematic get this mark, because they use the public library.
              It's very easy to recognize pin 1, if someone check the schematic
              compare the netlist ...

              Regards,
              Shuly
            • avjohn@rockwellcollins.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 15, 2003
                We mark both pin 1 and pin2 on our schematics.  This was done for our test engineers in the factory require pins on all components.

                Tony

                ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                Tony John  319-295-1888            "I can do everything through Christ
                Electrical Design Support Group              who gives me strength."
                Rockwell Collins
                avjohn@...                     Philippians 4:13

                "shulyshp" <shuly@...>

                09/15/2003 03:33 AM
                Please respond to innoveda_users

                        To:        innoveda_users@yahoogroups.com
                        cc:

                Austin

                We mark pin 1 in our schematics.
                I add in public library a small dot who mark pin 1.
                All schematic get this mark, because they use the public library.
                It's very easy to recognize pin 1, if someone check the schematic
                compare the netlist ...

                Regards,
                Shuly

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              • Austin Franklin
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 15, 2003
                  What about on the PCB?

                          To:        innoveda_users@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 15, 2003
                    That I wouldn't know about as I only support the schematic tool.  I don't know if we screen the pin numbers on the PCB or not.

                    Tony

                    ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                    Tony John  319-295-1888            "I can do everything through Christ
                    Electrical Design Support Group              who gives me strength."
                    Rockwell Collins
                    avjohn@...                     Philippians 4:13

                    "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@...>

                    09/15/2003 08:31 AM
                    Please respond to innoveda_users

                            To:        <innoveda_users@yahoogroups.com>
                            cc:

                    What about on the PCB?
                    Re: [innoveda_users] Do any of you mark pin one on discrete resistors and non-polarized caps?

                           To:        innoveda_users@yahoogroups.com