Re: OOC: Hello, everyone!

  • vrpublic
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
      Hi Katt and welcome!

      I'm a relative newcomer as well but thought I'd take a stab at answering your questions. Hopefullty, others more experienced will chime in as well.

      1 - Yup. You should be getting your first report next turn, which should come out June 11th.

      2 - There are several areas and dungeons to explore and it seems that you could happily do that for years. There is also typically a grander plot (or more?) that is directed by the GM. There is supposed to be something brewing for this summer related to vampires. There was a recent promotion by the GM that allowed players to pick either a vampire broodling or a vampire hunter. There have been some sightings of vampire broodlings already, I think. But that's about as much as I know. My understanding is that more will be revealed over the summer.

      3 - Certain characters (crusaders come to mind) may be expected to act in a certain way. But, in general, I think you are free to role-play your character as you wish. For more background, you can read through old messages in this forum (though that can be tough as there are thousands of them) or look at the Bereny Bugle (http://www.berenybugle.me.uk/), which was the official newspaper of the Kingdom, unfortunately currently out of publication....

      4 - There is definitely role-playing done in this forum. Sometimes it's as simple as asking a question in character. Other times you will see some very in depth communications (arguments) between characters all done in character. Lots of fun. Eventually, you can also communicate with other players directly via email in character.

      Hope this helps. Like I said, there are others much more experienced than me that will hopefully chime in as well.

      Vasco

      --- In DungeonWorld@yahoogroups.com, "katt_woren" <katt_woren@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for the swift reply! I just had a few questions.
      >
      > 1. I've already signed up, so I guess for now I wait for the position to become available, right?
      >
      > 2. Is this an ongoing campaign? Will I be starting in an adventure already in progress? Or will I have my own adventure for my character?
      >
      > 3. Is there anything I need to be aware of story-wise or RP-wise when playing with my character?
      >
      > 4. Is character roleplaying done in these forums? or is that something that I can do when I take a turn?
      >

      > --- In DungeonWorld@yahoogroups.com, wrgild@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Welcome! This is the right forum to post. If you have any questions, just post them here!
      > >
      > > Cheers!
      > > Wayne

    • Ade Bagley
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
        Hi Katt, welcome to the game!

        DW has a really friendly bunch of players, so don't hesitate to ask advice
        and generally get involved in on-list discussions, IC or OOC :0)

        The game can be played in any number of different ways, e.g., having your
        character(s) head off into a dungeon alone to explore, joining others on
        cooperative missions, starting up your own estate to manage as a Baron,
        starting in one of Bereny's neighbours (with different character types to
        try, etc), dying and exploring the afterlife..... The sky's the limit
        really, unless of course you fancy climbing a ladder into the sky and
        exploring the clouds :0)

        The game has an immense amount of history and depth (as you'll quickly
        discover if you take a trawl into the depths of the list archives), and can
        therefore be played in a very intense RP-oriented way if you like, but can
        also be enjoyed as a simple "hack and slash" if you prefer. Joining a guild
        is often a good way to start, but you'll probably want to try a few turns &
        get a feel for the politics of the game first.

        Anyway, hope you enjoy playing!

        Ade

        AKA King Dirk I

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
          Hi Kat

          Welcome to the game.

          1) yes the next turn is needed in for the 9th so as just signed up you'll
          see your first turn on the Monday 11th (I think)

          2) the game is a open game so you can do what you like, there are a few
          missions/ new places that are around but as a new player your best bet is to
          look around which ever dungeon you start in.

          3) may be but you'll need one of the many role players to fill in you on
          what they are, Im not one for following all the stuff that is happening.

          4) yes a lot of role playing is done on here, ei Hi Im a new fighter my name
          is etc.

          If you need help with anything just ask on here, everyone is very helpful
          and will help where they can, as soon as you know which dungeon your in say
          on here and the offers of help will kick in.

          There is a needtoknow list where you can ask about items/monsters and other
          stuff if you wish to added to it let me know and I'll sort it out.

          Honest Ron

          _____

            Thank you again, everyone, for the replies! You've all been very helpful! I look forward to starting on the 11th!

            By the way, does everyone take turns via email? Does anyone use the post or other methods to take turn? I was just curious.

          • wrgild@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
              Email is much faster. Gives you more days to work on turns and chat. Also, get Steve to send you the OEP program. Best way to submit turns and no postage!

              Thank you again, everyone, for the replies! You've all been very helpful! I look forward to starting on the 11th!

              By the way, does everyone take turns via email? Does anyone use the post or other methods to take turn? I was just curious.

              --- In DungeonWorld@yahoogroups.com, "Honest Ron" <goingtohell@...> wrote:

              > Hi Kat
              >
              > Welcome to the game.
              >

              > 1) yes the next turn is needed in for the 9th so as just signed up you'll
              > see your first turn on the Monday 11th (I think)
              >
              > 2) the game is a open game so you can do what you like, there are a few
              > missions/ new places that are around but as a new player your best bet is to
              > look around which ever dungeon you start in.
              >
              > 3) may be but you'll need one of the many role players to fill in you on
              > what they are, Im not one for following all the stuff that is happening.
              >
              > 4) yes a lot of role playing is done on here, ei Hi Im a new fighter my name
              > is etc.
              >

              > If you need help with anything just ask on here, everyone is very helpful
              > and will help where they can, as soon as you know which dungeon your in say
              > on here and the offers of help will kick in.
              >

              > There is a needtoknow list where you can ask about items/monsters and other
              > stuff if you wish to added to it let me know and I'll sort it out.
              >

              > Honest Ron
              >
              > _____

            • Gregory Croff
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                Welcome to the game, Kat!

                I think everyone has answered your earlier questions. I can't add much to that. As for postal players, there is a sizable Postal Only community according to Madhouse. In the USA that is administered by Flying Buffalo Games and is popular amongst prisoners fascilities that allow such games. But if you have regular access to the Internet, then playing by e-mail is the way to go. As Wayne suggested, talk with Madhouse about getting access to the OEP 'order entry program'. There is also another order entry program called the NVE. Some players have had some issues with that program, but if it works on your system it is really nice in that it will create a cumulative map of your character's explorations over time and save data on items you have investigated.

                Good luck and enjoy!

                Greg

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                  The main thing I find is that you have to be willing to see a bigger picture perspective than most games that tend to have more immediate and obvious threats and goals.

                  I'm very happy to join and look forward to playing. I'm a gamer and roleplayer, but I've never played a PBM-style game before (a friend of mine does and it had me interested). I had a look at the rulebook and can't wait to start!

                • Bill Mayling
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                    First thing to remember is that Steve says its now called TBG (turn-based gaming) <grin>welcome aboard, but its not called madhouse for nothing ....

                    Real Bill M.

                    To: DungeonWorld@yahoogroups.com
                    From: katt_woren@...
                    Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 02:10:27 +0000

                    (I hope it's ok to post this here.)

                    I'm very happy to join and look forward to playing. I'm a gamer and roleplayer, but I've never played a PBM-style game before (a friend of mine does and it had me interested). I had a look at the rulebook and can't wait to start!

                  • Ian Edwards
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 2, 2012
                      Hello yourself

                      1. I've already signed up, so I guess for now I wait for the position to
                      become available, right?

                      - Right. Next order deadline is Saturday 9th. Turns should be out by the
                      Monday.

                      2. Is this an ongoing campaign? Will I be starting in an adventure already
                      in progress? Or will I have my own adventure for my character?

                      - Up to you really. You'll start in one of the established dungeons so you
                      can take your characters into it and hunt randomly spawning monsters and
                      look for treasure without reference to any plot-driven adventure (and
                      initially that is probably the best thing to do to pick up how the game
                      works and build up your characters). But at any time there are upward of a
                      dozen plot-driven adventures in progress, of varying levels. For example at
                      the minute King Dirk is leading an expedition into the Land of the Fae to
                      save the world from magical cataclysm.

                      3. Is there anything I need to be aware of story-wise or RP-wise when
                      playing with my character?

                      - Well only if one of your characters is a PC vampire - that is a
                      contentious issue at the minute (are they misunderstood heroes or evil
                      bloodsucking demons?). Various crusading orders and guilds are straining at
                      the leash to launch a 'war against vampires'.

                      DW has been running for nearly 20 years and has a lot of backstory. One of
                      the things that I really like about it is the sense of playing against a
                      backdrop of history in the making. If you are interested you can get a
                      flavour of some of the backstory here: <http://www.berenybugle.me.uk>
                      www.berenybugle.me.uk

                      The rulebook may mention King Mark III of Bereny, but Mark has been dead for
                      nearly ten years and the King now is Dirk I (who is, incidentally, a PC).

                      4. Is character roleplaying done in these forums? or is that something that
                      I can do when I take a turn?

                      - There is a noticeboard with each turn where you can submit short messages
                      to everyone else. But this is the main forum. There are dozens of other
                      forums though - for guilds, for particular interest groups, for expeditions
                      and missions. One you might find especially useful is
                      needtoknow@yahoogroups.com, which is for OOC (out of character) discussions
                      about game mechanics that would be inappropriate here. Comes with a spoiler
                      alert obviously.

                      There are still some real PBM players in DW with no email access so if you
                      want to reach everyone the turn noticeboard is the way to go.

                      Have fun

                      Ian