PLEASE ALL READ - Turn Delay Information

  • Madhouse UK
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hi All,

      Some of you may know, some not, but its my fortieth birthday this week.
      Since that was the case, I extended deadlines in order to treat myself to a
      few days off and do something I've wanted to do for years but have never
      done (Go to the Tory Party Conference... sad, I know, but a long-time
      interest of mine.)

      I'd planned to clear most of the DW work at the weekend then run the game
      quickly on my return. Unfortunately, I did not reckon with my family
      planning a surprise birthday party.

      This has left me with a tough choice. Run the game without Bug Reports and
      Player Notes done (and there's a lot of the latter... new characters, etc
      etc.) or ...gulp... delay.

      Now I have very, very rarely ever delayed DW in its lifespan. Really only
      for vacations and Christmas. But I've thought about it, and really, you're
      only forty once, right? I reckon you guys will be cool about it this one
      time.

      So, I've decided to delay a week and run DW this weekend instead of last
      weekend. Then just continue on from there as usual.

      Im really sorry about this unusual delay. I consider myself a fairly
      professional sort of guy and delaying my flagship game is not something I
      ever want to make a habit of. But this one time, I hope you'll forgive me!

      DW will run promptly this Saturday and turns will be distributed on Sunday.

      And for those who are interested... yes, I had an AWESOME Birthday. My
      family did me proud. Then, at the Conference I got to meet some of my
      heroes face-to-face, and see virtually all of them speak. And at a dinner I
      spent the evening of my fortieth birthday debating the future of Energy
      Supply with two MPs and two PPCs. That might not seem cool to some of you,
      but since I've been interested in politics for years you can imagine how
      much I enjoyed it!

      Anyhow, thanks for your patience.

      Best Regards,

      Steve Tierney
      Madhouse UK
    • tei@ix.netcom.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
        Happy Birthday!

        Ah, to be just 40 again... such a puppy!

        Jon E.

        Links

      • lois183@netzero.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
          Steve, Happy belated birthday. I am glad that you had your dreams come true and I hope that you have many, many more! I am 20 years older then you but 40 was GREAT. Take care.

          Lois
        • Thomas Crane
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
            Now I have very, very rarely ever delayed DW in its lifespan. Really only
            for vacations and Christmas. But I've thought about it, and really, you're
            only forty once, right? I reckon you guys will be cool about it this one
            time.

            Well I am NOT cool with it ;-) I rarely get weekends to myself and was
            looking forward to pouring over DungeonWorld turns without having to
            entertain my girlfriend, and sorting out my Estate and Monster Position..
            <sigh>.

            Oh well never mind.......

            Glad you had a good time though and there is nothing wrong with debating
            energy powers with MP's etc. Your not the only one interested in Politics.
            We have a by-election here in a few weeks and we are the seat next to Gordon
            Brown's..

            Thomas
          • Ade Bagley
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
              Happy Belated Birthday, Steve! Glad to hear you had a great time!

              Ade

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
                <<Your not the only one interested in Politics.
                We have a by-election here in a few weeks and we are the seat next to Gordon

                Brown's..>>

                Whoopee cushion on standby... ;0)

                Ade

                _,___

              • wrgild@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
                  Steve,

                  Again, Happy Birthday!!!

                  Cheers!
                  Wayne

                • Keith Petersen
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
                    Hi Steve,

                    Don't apologize; you didn't do anything wrong.

                    And belated happy birthday!

                    Keith
                  • lminute120
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
                      I don't mind a bit. As long as you had a good birthday, then I'm
                      happy. Gives me and extra weekend to do some other stuff I've been
                      meaning too :)

                      Happy B-day,

                      Larry and Suz

                      --- In DungeonWorld@yahoogroups.com, "Madhouse UK" <steve@...> wrote:

                      > Hi All,
                      >
                      > Some of you may know, some not, but its my fortieth birthday this week.
                      > Since that was the case, I extended deadlines in order to treat
                      myself to a
                      > few days off and do something I've wanted to do for years but have
                      never
                      > done (Go to the Tory Party Conference... sad, I know, but a long-time
                      > interest of mine.)

                    • alber1ch
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                        I can think of little worse to do on your birthday (or at least
                        nothing that wouldn't involve pain or sickness), but each to their
                        own. Personally I'll be visiting the Natural History and Science
                        museums and then going for an extremely nice meal with my family on
                        mine - though not my 40th - that was a couple of years ago.

                        However, glad you had fun!

                        Bruno

                      • Paul Hindle
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                          I can think of something much worse - going to the Labour Party Conference.

                          Happy Birthday Steve.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                            Personally I'd put that as mildly preferable - in the same way that
                            I might mildly prefer to be shot rather than hung.

                            --- In DungeonWorld@yahoogroups.com, Paul Hindle <tony_donofrio@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I can think of something much worse - going to the Labour Party
                            Conference.

                            > Happy Birthday Steve.

                            Information
                            > To: DungeonWorld@yahoogroups.com
                            > Date: Thursday, October 2, 2008, 12:51 PM
                            >

                            > I can think of little worse to do on your birthday (or at least
                            > nothing that wouldn't involve pain or sickness), but each to their
                            > own. Personally I'll be visiting the Natural History and Science
                            > museums and then going for an extremely nice meal with my family
                            on
                            > mine - though not my 40th - that was a couple of years ago.
                            >
                            > However, glad you had fun!
                            >
                            > Bruno
                            >
                            > --- In DungeonWorld@ yahoogroups. com, "Madhouse UK" <steve@>

                          • themes86
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                              Steve,

                              Happy Birthday!

                              Perfectly understandable about the turn delay and I don't mind it at
                              all. I much perfer you taking a step back and tackling it the right
                              way.

                              Again, Happy Birthday! After hearing about your growing interest in
                              politics at Origins, I am glad you had such a positive and enjoyable
                              experience at your party conference.

                              I am also glad the family surprise was a welcome one. Sounds like you
                              had a blast.

                              Question, is it a UK custom for friends and family to put black
                              banners, posters, and balloons over your lawn, house, work place,
                              etc.; announcing your growing age to all who pass by?

                              Once more, Happy Birthday, and many blessing of more to come!

                              Greg, Stefi, & Nikki

                              --- In DungeonWorld@yahoogroups.com, "Madhouse UK" <steve@...> wrote:

                              >>Hi All,

                              Some of you may know, some not, but its my fortieth birthday this
                              week. Since that was the case, I extended deadlines in order to treat
                              myself to a few days off and do something I've wanted to do for years
                              but have never done (Go to the Tory Party Conference... sad, I know,
                              but a long-time interest of mine.)

                              I'd planned to clear most of the DW work at the weekend then run the
                              game quickly on my return. Unfortunately, I did not reckon with my
                              family planning a surprise birthday party.

                              This has left me with a tough choice. Run the game without Bug
                              Reports and Player Notes done (and there's a lot of the latter... new
                              characters, etc etc.) or ...gulp... delay.

                              Now I have very, very rarely ever delayed DW in its lifespan. Really
                              only for vacations and Christmas. But I've thought about it, and
                              really, you're only forty once, right? I reckon you guys will be
                              cool about it this one time.

                              So, I've decided to delay a week and run DW this weekend instead of
                              last weekend. Then just continue on from there as usual.

                              Im really sorry about this unusual delay. I consider myself a fairly
                              professional sort of guy and delaying my flagship game is not
                              something I ever want to make a habit of. But this one time, I hope
                              you'll forgive me!

                              DW will run promptly this Saturday and turns will be distributed on
                              Sunday.

                              And for those who are interested... yes, I had an AWESOME Birthday.
                              My family did me proud. Then, at the Conference I got to meet some
                              of my heroes face-to-face, and see virtually all of them speak. And
                              at a dinner I spent the evening of my fortieth birthday debating the
                              future of Energy Supply with two MPs and two PPCs. That might not
                              seem cool to some of you, but since I've been interested in politics
                              for years you can imagine how much I enjoyed it!

                              Anyhow, thanks for your patience.

                              Best Regards,

                              Steve Tierney
                              Madhouse UK<<
                            • Wayne Gildroy
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                                Yeah, Steve,

                                Next Origins we will need to chat about your experiences.

                                As you know, among other things I have been Legislature Counsel for TVA--the second largest electric system in the US--for nearly 33 years now and I have had my share of non-partisan (since TVA is Federally owned, those of us employed by TVA are subject to the Hatch Act) exchanges with the American versions of such folks on both sides of the aisle. I was heavily involved in partisan politics (was on the staff of two campaigns) in my youth--but the Hatch Act made that a thing of the past when I signed on with TVA. Still, I will be anxious to talk with you about your experiences.

                                Again, Happy Birthday... you youngster!

                                Cheers!
                                Wayne
                              • Bill Moore
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                                  Blimey, first time I've ever been stood up for David Cameron ;)

                                  Bit inconvenient for me as I'm off to Japan Wednesday, so I shall have
                                  to bung some quickie orders in when I'm not packing.

                                  Happy Birthday anyway!

                                  (Welsh) Bill

                                • elekton@blueyonder.co.uk
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                                    > Re: PLEASE ALL READ - Turn Delay Information
                                    > Posted by: "lminute120"
                                    > lminute120@...
                                    > lminute120
                                    > Wed Oct 1, 2008 8:39 pm (PDT)
                                    > I don't mind a bit. As long as you had
                                    > a good birthday, then I'm
                                    > happy. Gives me and extra weekend to do some other stuff I've been
                                    > meaning too :)
                                    >
                                    > Happy B-day,
                                    >
                                    > Larry and Suz

                                    Me too. I can do some extra revision for my Open University exam.

                                    Michael
                                  • Mat Hillman
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                                      > Me too. I can do some extra revision for my Open University exam.
                                      >
                                      > Michael

                                      Which one ? got mine on Friday 10th and I've not had time to even start
                                      revising yet :(

                                      Mat
                                    • Mat Hillman
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                                        > Some of you may know, some not, but its my fortieth birthday this week.
                                        > Since that was the case, I extended deadlines in order to treat myself to
                                        > few days off and do something I've wanted to do for years but have never
                                        > done (Go to the Tory Party Conference... sad, I know, but a long-time
                                        > interest of mine.)

                                        Happy 40th Steve, got to admit that my plans for my 40th (only 3 years to
                                        go) Involve large quantities of beer and several girls half my age dancing
                                        around poles :) but hope you had a great time!

                                        Mat
                                      • falsebill
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                                          Steve,

                                          Might be somewhat belated but Many Happy Returns!

                                          False Bill
                                        • ian.edwards3@tesco.net
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                                            ---- Madhouse UK <steve@...> wrote:
                                            >> And for those who are interested... yes, I had an AWESOME Birthday.

                                            A Very Happy Birthday, Steve.

                                            Not sure that it is where I'd have chosen to celebrate, but I'm sure you put the 'Party' back into Tory Party Conference.

                                            Ian
                                          • blue_andyuk
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 3, 2008
                                              Ditto, I have 2 years yet for that. I'm going to the Globe for my
                                              birthday, and trying to avoid the RL Grand Final score!

                                              Andy
                                              (not a Bill, not even a false one)

                                              --- In DungeonWorld@yahoogroups.com, "falsebill"
                                              <william.treadwell@...> wrote:

                                              > Steve,
                                              >
                                              > Might be somewhat belated but Many Happy Returns!
                                              >
                                              > False Bill

                                            • Andy Gosling
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 3, 2008
                                                Happy birthday stve, 40 eh. this is where it starts going down hill, yours 48 andy g

                                              • Madhouse UK
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 3, 2008
                                                  >>Not sure that it is where I'd have chosen to celebrate, but I'm sure you
                                                  >>put the 'Party' back into Tory Party Conference.
                                                  <<

                                                  Oh I did. I did. <grin>

                                                  Steve
                                                  Madhouse UK
                                                • SIMONHOPE@AOL.COM
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                    Steve

                                                    Happy belated 40th Birthday. Hope you had a great day. I suppose its
                                                    understandable that you want to celebrate at that age lol. As my kids say that's
                                                    really old!!!! I only have 4 years to go to til I'm 40 and looking forward to it
                                                    to be honest.

                                                    I believe its the lesser of 2 evils at the moment going to the tory party
                                                    conference.

                                                    CONGRATS!!!!! Hope you're still partying?

                                                    Simon aka Gollum