Re: BVH Petition

  • Joey
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
      Baron Solas,
      my veiw on vampires has not changed, they are
      abominations of nashan and should be put to rest.

      the petition is merely to show the crown the unease felt by the
      kingdom on the issue of vampires free to walk in our courtyards,
      hamlet and cities, should crown choose to act upon the petition or
      ignore the nations veiws is the crowns choice.

      However i believe the crown would do well to recoginse that it is the
      citizens who make a kingdom and not the crown.

      the only thing that has changed in my stance is i have learnt from
      past mistakes and can see advantages in working with the order of
      shanna to put the undead to rest.

      Sophia Shagwell
      servent of shanna

      --- In DungeonWorld@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Petersen"
      <petersenkeith@w...> wrote:
      > Sophia, Bereny is not a democracy and the Crown does not make
      decisions based on public vote or
      > whatever is popular but on what the Crown determines is best for
      the kingdom. Why the Crown
      > chooses to act the way that it does is not something that the Crown
      needs to explain to us either,
      > unless it should choose to do so.
      >
      > I had thought based on your petition that you had softened your
      position, but this makes it sound
      > as if there has been no change in your positions whatsoever. Is
      that a correct understanding?

      > Baron Solas
      > The Grey Wizard
      >

      > Adventuring community,
      > as you may have heard the condition of
      > vampirism appears to be on the increase the reason for this
      > disturbing phenomenom and the reason as to why the regent and
      crown
      > have allowed the walking dead adventuring licenses still remains
      > unknown.
      >
      > i spoke out once before about vampires and the bad decisions that
      > have been made by those in power and was cast down by the lady
      > crusader.
      >
      > i have used my time since been cast down thinking things over and
      > watching events unfold.... as i thought they would.
      >
      > if you fear the reality of vampires masquarading as adventurers
      and
      > do not want the children of nashan in your courtyards, hamlets,
      > towns and cities then do this one thing....
      >
      > place your name and adventuring number below, the more that sign
      the
      > more the Regent and Crown will have to listen.
      >

      > Sophia shagwell (3079)

    • Bill Mayling
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
        OOC: Joey, where's the Hamlet on Fawlty's Estate, please (just in case I cannot see at end of turn)
        regards, Real Bill M.

        p.s. no comment on the Vamp issue <grin>

      • Joey
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
          Hi Bill,
          the hamlet is 5 south 7 east from your present location.

          joey

          --- In DungeonWorld@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Mayling" <bill1@b...>
          wrote:
          > OOC: Joey, where's the Hamlet on Fawlty's Estate, please (just in
          case I cannot see at end of turn)
          > regards, Real Bill M.
          >
          > p.s. no comment on the Vamp issue <grin>

        • mark hayes
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
            "It's the citizens that make the kingdom . " what a novel idea .
            Kings make kingdoms . and rule there subjects within it's bounds.
            there is no such thing as a citizen of a kingdom .
            Citizens have rights and privileges and an equal hand in the laws with which they are governed .
            Subjects , are however mealy subject to the kings law . They have the right to do as they are told , that is indeed there only right
            Servant of Shanna , you are as politically naive as you are wise in scripture .
            Sadly I can not my name to your partition , For though I may agree in your aims I lack the folly to believe that kings care for their subjects wishes

            Of course all things are 'subject' to change

            Betheny Stryker
            Red Scarf
            Assassin to the common man .

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
              > "It's the citizens that make the kingdom . " what a novel idea .
              Kings make kingdoms . and rule there subjects within it's bounds.
              there is no such thing as a citizen of a kingdom .

              nonesense, with no citizens/subjects within a kingdom a king is
              nothing and powerless. the citizens are the backbone of any kingdom,
              they provide a kingdom with economic balance, structure and
              security, the list goes on and on.

              since you mentioned that kingdoms need kings i feel it is my duty to
              inform you that Bereny has been without a king for some considerable
              time now and thus completely discredits your arguments.

              it is little wander few people take notice of the red scarfe with
              members like you spouting such heavily flawed dialog.

              Sophia Shagwell
              Servent of Shanna
            • Bill Mayling
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
                Cheers, Joey !

              • mark hayes
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 8, 2005
                  Sophia .

                  You show your lack of understanding and learning , Sadly something which afflicts many in the church .
                  The word citizen and the word subject have two distant and quite different meanings .
                  And under a king you are a subject not a citizen . A citizen has a right to question his leaders , a subject has no rights but those granted by his rulers .
                  All power and all position is derived from the king
                  King to regent , regent to duchecy . ducheys to Baronies , baronies to lordships , lordships to commoners . and commoners to serfs .
                  It is the archetype and all position and power is at the behest of the king which the regent is in all but name .
                  and any subject may be dismissed without recourse to law ,

                  Your superstition that you can some how influence the regency with a partition to show the strength of feeling of the masses fails to understand the position of the masses

                  Betheny stryker
                  Red Scarf
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 8, 2005
                    Betheny,
                    you are correct i did confuse the term citizen with subject,
                    but this is the only area in which you are correct.

                    every subject within Bereny has the right to question his or her
                    leaders after all this is the the land of free speech, though this
                    does not mean they will listen to us, however all the same we can
                    stand together and make our voices be heard.

                    i find it concerning that you share my beliefs about vampirism yet
                    you will not sign a petition simply because you feel it a waste of
                    time, i have always been under the impression that members of the
                    red scarfe like to voice their opinions and act upon them...
                    obviously i am mistaken.

                    Sophia Shagwell
                    Servent of shanna

                    --- In DungeonWorld@yahoogroups.com, "mark hayes" <mark@h...> wrote:
                    > Sophia .
                    >
                    > You show your lack of understanding and learning , Sadly something
                    which afflicts many in the church .
                    > The word citizen and the word subject have two distant and quite
                    different meanings .
                    > And under a king you are a subject not a citizen . A citizen has
                    a right to question his leaders , a subject has no rights but those
                    granted by his rulers .
                    > All power and all position is derived from the king
                    > King to regent , regent to duchecy . ducheys to Baronies ,
                    baronies to lordships , lordships to commoners . and commoners to
                    serfs .
                    > It is the archetype and all position and power is at the behest of
                    the king which the regent is in all but name .
                    > and any subject may be dismissed without recourse to law ,
                    >
                    > Your superstition that you can some how influence the regency with
                    a partition to show the strength of feeling of the masses fails to
                    understand the position of the masses

                    > Betheny stryker
                    > Red Scarf

                  • mark hayes
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 8, 2005
                      I am afraid it is you who are mistaken . no subject of the regency has the right of free speech , speaking freely is mealy tolerated because the powers that be chose to tolerate it at this time.
                      I believe a clerk of the courts summed up this legal point nicely with the following reply to a foolish question once asked by a noble .
                      "of course you have the right to free speech , just as you have the right to be hung draw and quartered . at the kings pleasure . "

                      We of the scarf do indeed voice our opinions . and we do so in the certain knowledge that doing so could lead to our deaths .
                      And yes we would like to act upon them . Though of course doing so would be illegal .
                      the difference here is that your partition is not a worth while use of time and energy . It will not change the position of the courts and the regent . They are well aware that vampirism is despised by the majority . But while the regents wife openly defends two vampires and indeed expresses her trust and faith in them despite the feelings of the majority of the kingdom nothing will be done about it .

                      A wife has far more influence over her husband than a thousand signatures from the illiterate masses .

                      And you speak of action ? a partition . when killing the beasts is legal in all cases but one ?
                      I thought you were a crusader , a woman of action , of an order whom have always acted rather than debated .

                      Is the church so weak that it's crusaders believe the quite to be more powerful than the sword ?
                      Why if only that were so .........

                      Betherny stryker
                      Red Scarf
                      "If the truth hurts , than given it in the knackers "

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 8, 2005
                        Sophia,
                        We certainly like to see one of you High and Mighty Crusaders cut down
                        to size, but we don't like to waste hot air when we know our voices
                        won't be heard.

                        Look luv we try to make the peoples voice hears on issues the Regency
                        might act on. There's no point in raising a petition against vampires,
                        when so many have Noble connections. Now neck guards for the workers
                        on the Estates...
                        Hueil, RS