short fiction

  • lhaberke
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2000
      The goblins fell back to regroup. Suddenly they charged at Ischad, the smell of blood, sweat, and oiled steel permeated the room. In the fury of the combat Ischad recognized their tactic, while she must engage continuously, they took turns breaking off to rest. Ischad realized the danger, they would pick her apart as she tired.
      "This can't be happenin' to me", she thought, momentarily expressing self doubt. "Things like this happen to someone else, but not to me. I could die here. What has brought me to this moment of truth?"
      Ischad grimaced, as a plan came to mind. "Of course, nine tenths of this kingdom is forest, stripfields, mud and wattle huts, hunger, death from disease or accident, with no touch softer than woven wool. Is it a wonder one straps metal to one's body to face the hardened blades of axes and swords, and the punching steel of arrows?".
      Softly, at first, Ischad began to sing, the goblin attack faltered, fatal hesitation.
      Moving quickly at the goblin on her right, Ischad attacked. To late the goblin realized his error, parrying her blade across his front, missing the slash of the hilt as it raked his face. The goblin dropped to his knees, clutching his eyes, gouged out by the guard on the hilt.
      Ischad sang louder, more confident now. "Come to my window, come wait by the light of the moon. Come to my window, I'll be home soon, I'll be home soon...."
      The flash of her blade was intermixed with kicks, while the hardened palm of her leather parrying glove warded off the goblin blades. Ischad continued her song.
      The goblins, confused by the human she-bitch's singing in combat, fell back, their confidence waning again under her blows. Once again, Ischad had fought them to a draw.

    • lhaberke
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2000
        The human she-bitch was calmer now, had turned her back and was poking around the machinery. Rallying his troops, the goblin captain led them foreward for a surprise assault.
        Ischad heard their movement. "Not again! You guys are just draggin' my day", she said as she spun around. "And I think you're the instigator", she said, directing her comment at the goblin captain.
        The captain raised his sword high, aiming to split Ischad's head in half. Quickly, her reflexes taking over, Ischad stepped into his right shoulder, raised her scimitar above and inside his blade, and added to the momentum of his blades descent. As his blade hit the dungeon floor, Ischad rammed the hilt of her scimitar into his throat. The goblin captain dropped his blade, clutched at his throat, and sank to his knees, drowning in the blood from his crushed larnyx. It was all over in seconds.
        His goblin troops backed off.
        "What?", Ischad said, eying the stunned goblins. "No Queensbury rules here, I've told you guys before I fight dirty and I kill quickly. You want a fair fight, go find a noble of Bereny, where I come from nobles fight for keeps only."
        Goblin trooper Shagbutt never understood what the human said, but he snapped to his fellow troopers, "I think I like her better when she's raving, her kicks and punches don't kill. She's deadly when she's quiet."
        Ischad looked at Shagbutt, "You know, I'm thinking of raising a mercenary company, you guys wouldn't want to enlist under my command now, would you?"
        Shagbutt just grunted in reply to the human she-bitch's banter.

      • Stewart Vachal
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2000
          Stix and Morgut looked out at the large room from the cover of two freshly
          killed Ogres. Ugly female forms flitted about in the chamber seemingly
          dancing to their own inner music. Meridians.

          Morgut counted ten of them. Stix figured there were more further along, as
          his map of the Red Mountain showed this chamber extended quite a bit further
          west. The body of an Enchanter lay amidst the celebration. A Fire Sprite
          was dancing on the corpse, tunelessly singing...

          Master's dead, I've got his soul,
          trapped inside a silver bowl,
          going to take him back to Hell,
          trade him for a golden bell!
          roast him crisp and feel his pain
          Soon I'll be summoned to Bereny again!

          "Why do they summon sprites? I mean, pain doesn't rhyme with again!",
          cursed Morgut.

          "I'd better have gained a point of willpower for listening to that.",
          muttered Stix.

          Azzy took this particular moment to bound into the chamber. "Look everyone,
          my mortification's been cured!", she beamed. The meridians turned as one...
        • lhaberke
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2000
            Stix, before ya get too stressed out at Azzy, raise your flask with me in a
            toast.
            "To alcohol, cause of, and solution to, all life's problems."
            Ischad

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3, 2000
              Blessed is the dwarf who created whiskey. Praise to his name.

              Stix,
              Runeforge Leader
              > Stix, before ya get too stressed out at Azzy, raise your flask with me in
              > toast.
              > "To alcohol, cause of, and solution to, all life's problems."
              > Ischad
              >
              > > Stix and Morgut looked out at the large room from the cover of two
              freshly
              > > killed Ogres. Ugly female forms flitted about in the chamber seemingly
              > > dancing to their own inner music. Meridians.
              > > Azzy took this particular moment to bound into the chamber. "Look
              > everyone,
              > > my mortification's been cured!", she beamed. The meridians turned as
              > one...

              > PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
              > Apply NOW!
              >
              > Offical DungeonWorld Website: http://www.dungeonworld.com/