Re: [Dressmanstuff] Re: Political View

  • tdressman@brodskyagency.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
      Danny,

      YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

      Judy

      Tom Dressman, CLU, ChFC
      Brodsky Agency
      865 E. Wilmette Drive, Unit I
      Palatine, IL 60074

      Phone:  847-991-8040, x142
      Fax:  847-991-0152

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: dannbrin
      Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 11:44 AM
      Subject: [Dressmanstuff] Re: Political View

      Hey everyone! I figured that I would add my two cents on this issue
      since we've been reading some really interesting opinions on both
      sides of the issue. Being raised by liberal Beth and more
      conservative Pat I've grown up to be somewhat of a left-leaning
      moderate. Socially I'm pretty liberal, but I am always reluctant to
      place myself in either popular political party.

      I have enjoyed reading opinions from a lot of the family. Eight years
      ago when I first started getting interested in politics I was 16 and
      couldn't vote. John McCain at the time was trying to win the primary
      battle against Bush. I really liked McCain a lot during that election
      cycle; the stances he advocated and rhetoric he used were atypical for
      either party line. I appreciated that since I can't fully identify
      with either party myself. He was every bit of the Maverick he has
      claimed to be.

      Over the past eight years I haven't followed his political career
      closely, until of course this election started to ramp up. Now I
      listen to his rhetoric and his new stances. He seems to have either
      made a dramatic shift into a much more "neo-conservative" mind set, or
      he's saying what is necessary to be a competitive candidate. Under
      either situation I have lost some of the great respect I had for this
      man. I still consider him a great man.

      As for Obama; the first time I had heard of this man was just over 2
      years ago. A friend told me that he was positive Obama would run for
      president in 2008. Listening to the rhetoric and stances he has made
      during this election I find myself agreeing most of the time. He has
      placed himself as a liberal, but a liberal who is not blinded by
      partisanship.

      I think that both of these men could make good presidents, but based
      on what they have told voters over the past year I have to support
      Obama. The policies I have read seem well constructed, and he has
      been able to explain them well in speeches and debates. I find that I
      have a better comprehension of his policies than I do of McCain's. I
      have listened to both and John McCain has not successfully explained
      to me how his healthcare policy is better, nor his military strategy,
      nor how his experience makes him a more prepared candidate.

      Neither candidate has executive experience beyond leading presidential
      campaigns. Obama has run a better campaign so based on their limited
      executive experience I'd give him an edge. McCain has more experience
      in the senate, but representing a much smaller state population-wise,
      he has had to answer to less people.

      On healthcare; health insurance works on a pool of risk. The larger
      the pool the less that individual costs will influence the whole.
      Looking at it this way Obama's plan to have a partially nationalized
      healthcare system should be feasible. We can have the largest pool of
      risk possible with the plan offered through the government. This
      should mean rates remain low under this plan. If you want better care
      then find it elsewhere, that is fine. McCain's plan has given me
      pause based on the tax credit being significantly less than the
      typical cost of an independent healthcare plan.

      I think that Iraq will continue to pressure the US to wrap up our
      operations there. This has been the case over the past several months
      and I think under either candidate we will be forced out through
      international scrutiny. International support for a president can be
      a great advantage in our influence through the world. Obama has
      significantly greater support throughout European countries, this is
      almost enough to secure my vote by itself. Support for an American
      president will make them more likely to support our decisions and will
      lead to more cooperative international community.

      The only reasons I see not to vote Obama are;
      1. Philosophical differences
      -If you are a conservative at heart there is very little reason to
      vote Obama.
      2. Fear about unilateral government control.
      -Personally I reject this argument, it seems like a poor reason to
      choose a president to me. Having full democratic control won't turn
      the US into an unrecognizable Marxist nanny state. It will push us
      slightly more liberal over the next 4-8 years. Under Bush for 4 years
      with nearly unilateral support we didn't see our country change
      drastically in terms of our legislation.
      3. Concern for limited experience
      -Many previous presidents with less experience have been considered
      among the greats.
      4. Racism
      -Does not apply to our family, I believe.

      Sorry for the extremely long post but I had a lot on my mind. Hope
      you all look over the facts and our candidates' positions and make a
      decision. And VOTE for gods sake even if it's for McCain!

      -Dan