Greetings and Many Blessings to All!!

  • crystlwise
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 14, 2006
      My name is Crystal Wise(gypsiros) and I will be at dreamtime with a 10
      year old daughter... Her name is Tamika... Our experience together
      last year was surreal...
      I would love to actively participate wherever needed
    • gigi kalil
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 15, 2006
         Hi Crystal, My name is Gigi, and our family was there last year too and had a great time. We were the ones doing the biodiesel table and we have a 10 year old too. Her name is Fiona and her little sister is 5 and her name is Leah. We are hoping to be going again this year and also doing the biodiesel workshops and stuff again. We just have to wait and see about another biodiesel comittment my husband Mike made, see if we can back out of it.
             I am able to coordinate and organize and what ever else I can do before hand, however,  once there, I can not offer too much hands -on time because of my involment with the biodiesel camp. I found that last year alot of people just dumped their kids off at our camp and didn't return untill much later (sometimes the next day), which kind of tied my husband and I down and we were not able to do one workshop. That is why I feel like we need to have a place run by parents where the kids can go for an hour or two if the parents wanted to do a workshop.
            I would be interested in knowing what other people envision and what their thoughts on this matter are?

        On 6/14/06, crystlwise < crystlwise@...> wrote:

        My name is Crystal Wise(gypsiros) and I will be at dreamtime with a 10
        year old daughter... Her name is Tamika... Our experience together
        last year was surreal...
        I would love to actively participate wherever needed

      • Jen B
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 15, 2006
          I recommend having a sign up sheet for parents that
          want to take shifts of hanging out at kids camp -
          participating parents have the liberty to leave their
          kids too and go off for a workshop or something

          maybe have set babysitting times - and let parents
          know that if they don't pick up their kids on time,
          its not the kids camp responsibility! thats just
          lame...

          truly, kids camp is NOT a babysitting service, and we
          put it like that in the program. but if parents want
          to support each other and enroll in a babysitting
          trade, that would be the best way to word it.

          would be great if you guys put together a list of
          things to bring to camp beforehand.

          zoe -did you post the kids camp vision sheet yet?

          --- gigi kalil <ggkalil@...> wrote:

          > Hi Crystal, My name is Gigi, and our family was
          > there last year too and had
          > a great time. We were the ones doing the biodiesel
          > table and we have a 10
          > year old too. Her name is Fiona and her little
          > sister is 5 and her name is
          > Leah. We are hoping to be going again this year and
          > also doing the biodiesel
          > workshops and stuff again. We just have to wait and
          > see about another
          > biodiesel comittment my husband Mike made, see if we
          > can back out of it.
          > I am able to coordinate and organize and what
          > ever else I can do before
          > hand, however, once there, I can not offer too much
          > hands -on time because
          > of my involment with the biodiesel camp. I found
          > that last year alot of
          > people just dumped their kids off at our camp and
          > didn't return untill much
          > later (sometimes the next day), which kind of tied
          > my husband and I down and
          > we were not able to do one workshop. That is why I
          > feel like we need to have
          > a place run by parents where the kids can go for an
          > hour or two if the
          > parents wanted to do a workshop.
          > I would be interested in knowing what other
          > people envision and what
          > their thoughts on this matter are?
          >
          > On 6/14/06, crystlwise <crystlwise@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > My name is Crystal Wise(gypsiros) and I will be
          > at dreamtime with a 10
          > > year old daughter... Her name is Tamika... Our
          > experience together
          > > last year was surreal...
          > > I would love to actively participate wherever
          > needed

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Crystal Wise
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 29, 2006
            Greetings gigi!!! sorry for the delay in my reply... My daughter was the african girl hoola hooping with your daughter... At any rate I would like to give this situation some thought and get back to you by Sat.... Blessings!!!

            gigi kalil <ggkalil@...> wrote:
[...]

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Crystal Wise
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 29, 2006
              Greetings to all!!! I have been so busy and would like to give this some thought... will come back though there are plenty of very valid points!!!!

              --- gigi kalil <ggkalil@gmail. com> wrote:

              > Hi Crystal, My name is Gigi, and our family was
              > there last year too and had
              > a great time. We were the ones doing the biodiesel
              > table and we have a 10
              > year old too. Her name is Fiona and her little
              > sister is 5 and her name is
              > Leah. We are hoping to be going again this year and
              > also doing the biodiesel
              > workshops and stuff again. We just have to wait and
              > see about another
              > biodiesel comittment my husband Mike made, see if we
              > can back out of it.
              > I am able to coordinate and organize and what
              > ever else I can do before
              > hand, however, once there, I can not offer too much
              > hands -on time because
              > of my involment with the biodiesel camp. I found
              > that last year alot of
              > people just dumped their kids off at our camp and
              > didn't return untill much
              > later (sometimes the next day), which kind of tied
              > my husband and I down and
              > we were not able to do one workshop. That is why I
              > feel like we need to have
              > a place run by parents where the kids can go for an
              > hour or two if the
              > parents wanted to do a workshop.
              > I would be interested in knowing what other
              > people envision and what
              > their thoughts on this matter are?
              >
              > On 6/14/06, crystlwise <crystlwise@yahoo. com> wrote:
              > >
              > > My name is Crystal Wise(gypsiros) and I will be
              > at dreamtime with a 10
              > > year old daughter... Her name is Tamika... Our
              > experience together
              > > last year was surreal...
              > > I would love to actively participate wherever
              > needed

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com

            • Zoe Clare
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 30, 2006
                i like the idea, my main concern is the moment when there are kids who's parents anticipate the babysitter being there, but the babysitter is not there.. and it falls on the coordinator (s) to stay put until parents pick up their kids.. i am not able to commit to this because i will be back and forth between kids camp and the mate bar.. if we can iron out a way to really make it happen, then fine.. but take a look at the visionary outline i have attached.. this will be the vibe of the camp.  get back with me if you have ideas.. thanks and peace  ~ zoe clare

                Jen B <jenb_11@...> wrote:
                I recommend having a sign up sheet for parents that
                want to take shifts of hanging out at kids camp -
                participating parents have the liberty to leave their
                kids too and go off for a workshop or something

                maybe have set babysitting times - and let parents
                know that if they don't pick up their kids on time,
                its not the kids camp responsibility! thats just
                lame...

                truly, kids camp is NOT a babysitting service, and we
                put it like that in the program. but if parents want
                to support each other and enroll in a babysitting
                trade, that would be the best way to word it.

                would be great if you guys put together a list of
                things to bring to camp beforehand.

                zoe -did you post the kids camp vision sheet yet?

                --- gigi kalil <ggkalil@gmail. com> wrote:

                > Hi Crystal, My name is Gigi, and our family was
                > there last year too and had
                > a great time. We were the ones doing the biodiesel
                > table and we have a 10
                > year old too. Her name is Fiona and her little
                > sister is 5 and her name is
                > Leah. We are hoping to be going again this year and
                > also doing the biodiesel
                > workshops and stuff again. We just have to wait and
                > see about another
                > biodiesel comittment my husband Mike made, see if we
                > can back out of it.
                > I am able to coordinate and organize and what
                > ever else I can do before
                > hand, however, once there, I can not offer too much
                > hands -on time because
                > of my involment with the biodiesel camp. I found
                > that last year alot of
                > people just dumped their kids off at our camp and
                > didn't return untill much
                > later (sometimes the next day), which kind of tied
                > my husband and I down and
                > we were not able to do one workshop. That is why I
                > feel like we need to have
                > a place run by parents where the kids can go for an
                > hour or two if the
                > parents wanted to do a workshop.
                > I would be interested in knowing what other
                > people envision and what
                > their thoughts on this matter are?
                >
                > On 6/14/06, crystlwise <crystlwise@yahoo. com> wrote:
                > >
                > > My name is Crystal Wise(gypsiros) and I will be
                > at dreamtime with a 10
                > > year old daughter... Her name is Tamika... Our
                > experience together
                > > last year was surreal...
                > > I would love to actively participate wherever
                > needed

                Do You Yahoo!?
                http://mail. yahoo.com

                How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger�s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

              • Jen B
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 30, 2006
                  well, you could either just say parents must be with
                  their kids at all time during the camp, that will make
                  it easiest.

                  another idea is to have a sign up for parents in a
                  chart, and if they choose to be there from 12-5 one
                  day, then the next day they can leave their child 12-5
                  (and they have to do the 12-5 first before the shift
                  they aren't there to avoid flakey lack of commitment
                  issue)

                  and you could let them know that they have to come at
                  5 or earlier, but if they come any later than 5, their
                  child will be left unattended, so therefore it should
                  be easy to determine who can commit and who can't. we
                  clearly state in program that it is not a babysitting
                  service, so if people can't be responsible in picking
                  up their kids at 5, then they have a child left
                  unattended. not kids camp.

                  i don't know. whatever you guys decide is fine with
                  me.

                  jen

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • gigi kalil
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 30, 2006
                     I am worried that my children(ages10 1/2& 5 3/4) are going to want to be at kids camp more than I want to be there; they like the freedom of running with the pack, and I know Fiona(10 1/2) will think it's a drag for me to have to be there with her. I don't want to appear to be an irresponsible parent but we do give our children alot of freedom at Dreamtime and I know they'll be drawn to the kids camp with or without me. I guess if this happens you can just send them away and I will have a talk with them too. Gigi

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Crystal Wise
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
                      Greetings! I have put some thought into this and I think that on one hand it would be nice to go off to workshops with an activity and scheduled person with my daughter... On the other hand I can completely relate to Gigi... my daughter was @ dreamtime and did not go everywhere with me and  did not end up in anyones care... we did not camp @ kids camp we were on the other side and Tamika was perfectly safe and content... I would like to camp at kids camp just because I would like her to have other kids to socialize with more often... not for a babysitter... What I suggest is that there is 1st: assertiveness-if a kid ends up in your care and it is overwhelming, with love direct that child back to the parent  2nd: communication- be very clear with our children about who to go to when left alone, use communication device(walkie/talkie), let child know exactly where and how long we will be gone
                      3rd: Babysitting trade - for the parents who want to participate in this to leave your child you must take a shift....

                      I am willing to take a shift and I would like to make tamborines with the children using paper bowls, beans/rice, ribbon, markers to color them.... I am doing work for trade on Fri/Sat 11:45 - 6pm
                      Other than this time if we can agree to create a list I am willing and will have this craft project available..
                      I also will be bringing hoola hoop, bike, toys board games, cards, etc
                      I would also suggest a meeting with the kids at the beginning of dreamtime so that the kids can hear, take part of and also know that all other parents will be aware of the rules, etc.. How does this sound?
                      On the last note....  this is a family reunion for me and I am more than pleased to be gathering... taking care of eachother is what family is all about....
                      I will check my email on a daily basis this week and respond... Thanks for all of the great ideas and voicing all concerns... I am SO excited!!!
                      peace

                      On 6/30/06, Jen B <jenb_11@...> wrote:
> [...]

                      > > feel like we need to have
                      > > a place run by parents where the kids can go for
                      > an
                      > > hour or two if the
                      > > parents wanted to do a workshop.
                      > > I would be interested in knowing what other
                      > > people envision and what
                      > > their thoughts on this matter are?
                      > >
                      > > On 6/14/06, crystlwise <crystlwise@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > My name is Crystal Wise(gypsiros) and I will be
                      > > at dreamtime with a 10
                      > > > year old daughter... Her name is Tamika... Our
                      > > experience together
                      > > > last year was surreal...
                      > > > I would love to actively participate wherever
                      > > needed

                      > protection around
                      > http://mail.yahoo.com
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger�s

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Zoe Clare
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
                        i am just wanting to throw out there a few things to think about.  first of all, the scheduled "kid's camp" will be a series of planned activities happening friday-sunday from 12:00pm-5:00pm.  this is the time in which there will be volunteers present, as well as workshop instructors and some level of definition to what is going on.  the space that "kid's camp" will be held has room for families to camp around, but "kid's camp" will not be an ongoing thing for the entire festival.  parents are welcome to participate in whatever way they would like during the 12-5 day, and the rest of the time will be up to the families.  i have no problem with communicating to parents and having kids(not babies or toddlers) be present without their parents during the scheduled camp time, though all dependent upon the number of volunteers in the moment.  as far as creating safe community space for the kids during the rest of the festival, my main thing is that there can be no child left unattended in the kid's camp activity space when there are no volunteers around.

                        anyone that has ideas for activities to facilitate, just communicate with me out at the festival, because there is space and time for flexibility.  basically, whoever wants to help, who is there and prepared, will be fully invited.  those who just want to be present and assist me, that is welcome also.  ...

                        does that make sense..

                        peace ~ zoe clare

                        Do you Yahoo!?
                      • gigi kalil

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
                             I think an initial meeting with the children is a great idea. Also, we have two sets of two-way radios we can bring. Gigi