Re: Does anyone know who made this set?

  • pocketetui
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      The set posted is somewhat similar to a set shown in Eugene Dietzen Co.'s 1910 catalog.
      They are listed as "German Silver Scholar Instruments" for Elementary school grades...... It
      is hard to imagine any of the kids in elementary school being taught anything about
      drawing these days.... anyway the have a similar spigot but the holding knob is 90 degrees
      to yours... also have additional handle coming up from joint.

      Your Riefler set is quite nice., thanks for sharing it. Bill
      --- In DrawingInstruments@yahoogroups.com, "David Riches" <drdriches@...> wrote:

      > I have posted a photo in my album of a set whose maker I do not know.
      > The pen, pencil & divider points fit in a way that is very unusual -
      > they slide over a spigot and are locked in place, as well as prevented
      > from rotating, by a screw in the spigot. The points are interchangeable
      > between the compass and the spring bow. The locking screws have "G M S
      > 134353" on them. Please ignore the pen which is a replacement. I would
      > be most grateful to anyone who can identify the maker who I think may
      > have been Swiss or German.
      >
      > I have also posted a photo of a large Riefler set in my collection. The
      > wing divider with hairsping adjustment is nice. Under a flap in the lid
      > there are also an eccentrolinead and a horn centre. There should also
      > be a semi-circular protractor, which is missing.
      >
      > David M Riches

    • David Riches
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2006
        Bill, thanks very much for the info on my unknown maker set. Would it
        be possible to email me a scan of the relevant Dietzgen page? There
        is nothing like it in the 1928 edition that I have.

        Thanks again,
        David

        - In DrawingInstruments@yahoogroups.com, "pocketetui" <shawil@...>
        wrote:

        > The set posted is somewhat similar to a set shown in Eugene Dietzen
        Co.'s 1910 catalog.
        > They are listed as "German Silver Scholar Instruments" for
        Elementary school grades...... It
        > is hard to imagine any of the kids in elementary school being
        taught anything about
        > drawing these days.... anyway the have a similar spigot but the
        holding knob is 90 degrees
        > to yours... also have additional handle coming up from joint.
        >
        > Your Riefler set is quite nice., thanks for sharing it. Bill
        > --- In DrawingInstruments@yahoogroups.com, "David Riches"
        <drdriches@> wrote:

        > > I have posted a photo in my album of a set whose maker I do not
        know.
        > > The pen, pencil & divider points fit in a way that is very
        unusual -
        > > they slide over a spigot and are locked in place, as well as
        prevented
        > > from rotating, by a screw in the spigot. The points are
        interchangeable
        > > between the compass and the spring bow. The locking screws
        have "G M S
        > > 134353" on them. Please ignore the pen which is a replacement. I
        would
        > > be most grateful to anyone who can identify the maker who I think
        may
        > > have been Swiss or German.
        > >
        > > I have also posted a photo of a large Riefler set in my
        collection. The
        > > wing divider with hairsping adjustment is nice. Under a flap in
        the lid
        > > there are also an eccentrolinead and a horn centre. There should
        also
        > > be a semi-circular protractor, which is missing.
        > >
        > > David M Riches

      • pocketetui
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2006
          I have sent you two scans and I hope they are of some help. Bill