Re: TR 4 sideband switch problem

  • wd5hxb
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2012
      C-130 adjustment did no good. I'll pickup a .001 capacitor at Radio Shack (good luck on this one) and try the 2.1 kc bypass. One filter has good audio and the other one doesn't...or it's in the switch, not likely....thanks guys. At least it still performs perfectly on CW..Maybe I should go back to my roots....Started with an HW 16 and 6 crystals...this is a way step up...I'll keep poking around...tnx again...I'll give another report when I bypass the filters...de HXB.
    • Forrest Plumstead
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2012
        I have the same problem with my TR-4. After warm up I have to put function
        into calibrate and jiggle the side-band switch until I get a decent
        strength. Then tune the pre-selector for a 20+ on the S-meter. If it is
        really stubborn I also have to tickle the band switch until the noise comes
        up. If not all I get is hash noise from the AF but no signal from the RF.

        --
        73
        WB5HQO Forrest

        NAQCC Member # 3678 FPQRP # 2642
        SKCC Member # 6855 QRPadillo # 59

      • Richard Knoppow
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2012
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 14, 2012
            I'm a little confused with the filter selection. The below listed website has two filters...thanks much for that...but one is listed USB and one is LSB...Looking down from the top, it's my left filter that's bad...but on my TR4, sometimes USB is on one side and LSB is on the other on the switch,,,eithr way, it's the left position filter that's bad. All works fine when switch is in "tune" position on different bands.

            --- In DrakeRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Roger VE7LB" <Roger_VE7LB@...> wrote:

            > I would use a .001 capacitor and two alligator clips to jumper the crystal filters one at a time. The signals should go way on the bad one and be too broad on the good one. A source for the filters is -
            > http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=99

          • Roger VE7LB
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 14, 2012
              Take a look at the 3 pages starting here - http://www.wb4hfn.com/DRAKE/DrakeArticles/TR4_AM-Filter/TR4CW-Filter_01.htm The web pages deal with replacing TR-4 filters.

              Looking down from the top the left filter is USB. You can double check this once the bad filter is removed a it will have either a "U" or "L" marked on it.

              73 Roger VE7LB

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 14, 2012
                I may have the filter locations backwards. Looked at the web pages again and from the top side of the chassis the left filter is LSB.

                Roger

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
                  --- Solved with LSB crystal from Inrad, thanks to you guys advice, special thanks to Roger for the Inrad address. Next post will be a good one also...thanks guys.