Re: [DrakeRadio] Tantalum Plates

  • Gary Woods
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 1, 2012
      On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 18:27:20 -0500, you wrote:

      >I think I'll start a rumor that it's because guys want to get as close
      >as possible to the band edge!!

      Long ago when dinosaurs walked the land, I listened on a QSO on 75 using
      that new exotic SSB.

      "Hey OM, aren't you a little close to the band edge."
      "No- I'm on 3999.5!"

    • Abqcooks@aol.com
      Message 37 of 37 , Jul 2, 2012
        Greetings to the Drake group,

        On the question of whether or not the 3-500ZG (graphite plate) needs to be run to anode color to
        release some possible getter..... I called the technical assistance dept. at RF Parts Co. today to see
        if they knew, since they sell the tubes. The tech I spoke with really didn't have an answer except to say that
        anode color is a normal operating condition. He did say that in the last year or more that they have
        had only one tube returned for going gassy. He said that the Chinese have perfected the process for
        making good seals and pumping down to a good vacuum.
        So, still not a good answer to the original question. But since it's old habit from years of periodically
        running my old Eimac 3-500Z to anode color for good health .... I'll likely do it from time to time.
        Kinda like taking a multi-vitamin .... don't know if I need them but I'm afraid to stop !

        Hey, does anyone happen to know what the current rating is on the rocker switches on the L-4B ?
        I ask because I discovered a handful of double rockers at a local electronic surplus store that look
        physically identical though both rockers are black (instead of red and black). They are only rated
        at 6a @ 120v / 3a @ 250v. I wonder what the Drake rockers were rated at ?

        TKS Jim N5KY